Payn's Ponderings Traveller Editions

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm not a fan of 'Emperors in Space'.

Ironically, I had an Empire in mine, but it was very much wrapped around the founding family having access to Old Human technology that could not at that time be duplicated. And later, they'd used what they learned from that to develop some technology they kept under their hat. It was just waaay too much trouble for the worlds they brought in to buck them, and they were smart enough to know when to use a light touch.

pemerton

Legend
Yeah, none of the Traveler games we ran back in the day had anything to do with the native setting.
The Classic Traveller game I've been GMing over the past few years is set in the default setting with a bit of influence from old White Dwarf magazines and Book 6 Scouts. So there is an Imperium with an Imperial Navy, Imperial Marines and an Imperial Interstellar Scout Service; and there are nobles who lord it over everyone else in their interstellar yachts.

But I don't use any of the Imperium campaign stuff. It's never had much appeal to me. I've not used the Alien Modules either.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
My favorite thing about watching Traveller evolve is the steady increase in the chance that your randomly-generated gas giant had rings.

I also wanted to add a note about Gurps Traveller - while the 4th edition book is set in the Interstellar War period, the 3rd edition books are set in an alternate Imperium where Dulinor doesn't assassinate the Emperor. Are there any other games in which you can play an official alternate setting like this?

Thomas Shey

Legend
My favorite thing about watching Traveller evolve is the steady increase in the chance that your randomly-generated gas giant had rings.

I also wanted to add a note about Gurps Traveller - while the 4th edition book is set in the Interstellar War period, the 3rd edition books are set in an alternate Imperium where Dulinor doesn't assassinate the Emperor. Are there any other games in which you can play an official alternate setting like this?

You can at least make an argument for the Mage 20th Anniversary Edition. Its got an assumption of how things played out, but has a whole bunch of sidebars showing places it could have gone differently.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
My Traveller games often take place on the edge of empire space (Spinward Marches/Trojan Reach). I like having the imperial backdrop, but games that take place outside its strongest influence.

For those homebrewing its a good time to check out the sector generator guide that Mongoose just dropped.
Having an empire in the background makes it so the imperial forces can be used as both an ally and a foil; as well as having an organization large enough that there can be factions within the organization (The science foundation wants to preserve planets in their original state while the commerce dept wants to exploit new planets for example). Having it distant leaves room for the PCs to maneuver in the gray areas of the law, leading to fun games.

5atbu

Explorer
I really enjoyed Andy Slack's write ups of his Drinaxi campaign which has just finished. Interestingly he uses Savage Worlds.

I often think of using Traveller when looking at other SF settings, I have the John Snead and Sarah Newton Traveller books on my shelves for when I think about running Mindjammer.

This is a good free quickstarter

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I really enjoyed Andy Slack's write ups of his Drinaxi campaign which has just finished. Interestingly he uses Savage Worlds.

I often think of using Traveller when looking at other SF settings, I have the John Snead and Sarah Newton Traveller books on my shelves for when I think about running Mindjammer.

This is a good free quickstarter
I like the Mindjammer setting; we even tried to play it one time. But the GM and a couple other players couldn't really grok FATE. So we shelved it and I sold off my MJ books.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I like the Mindjammer setting; we even tried to play it one time. But the GM and a couple other players couldn't really grok FATE. So we shelved it and I sold off my MJ books.
I have the Fate MJ core, it is funny, I offered to sell it, and someone offered $15, and it would have cost me $20 to send it, so I declined, I think they still hold it against me. The fate point economy, and the dice, plus some other things, make me not a fan of that system. I mean we have tried it, it just always sort of focused things in towards that.

Mezuka

Hero
The fifth and last character of my campaign is an Agent Law Enforcement (detective).

The group is comprised of a pilot, an archelogist, a diplomat, a surveyor and a detective. I'm hoping they will choose the exploration group skill package. Fits in perfectly with the Coriolis setting.

Session zero this coming Friday.

Mezuka

Hero
Our first game of MT2 Updated went very well. Their first contract, as an explorer team, is an investigation into the disappearance of an archeologist.

We did an hour of system explainations + setting info-dump and two hours of roleplay. The first 30 minutes were vignettes of PCs getting to know each other during their career phase. They have a scout ship.

We are scheduled to play for the next two weeks.

Remove ads