PC Gamer: OGL not worth fighting for.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I don't agree with everything said in the article.

But this:

He's not wrong...

The vast swath of D&D players completely unwilling to even try another game is something unique to RPG's compared to the computer gaming industry.

Most RPG players are not "gamers" in the general sense. Most RPG players are specifically D&D gamers.
What he should have said (and might have if he was but a little older) was World of Warcraft is really popular - -imagine if it was the only game around?

Then you would have had 2008, when WoW reigned supreme as the only PC game of any consequence whatsoever, and the PC Game Software Retail market literally came to a complete STOP in North America and Western Europe. It wasn't until Steam came online almost 18 months later that there was a viable channel to sell any PC Games. At all. And it completely changed how all game development was financed, too.

If he was only older by a few more years to provide the proper market perspective? He would have got his analogy right!

GET OFF MY LAWN!

mamba

Legend
BUT, counting them seperate for this discussion is a little like counting the various versions of Windows that came out starting with Windows 95 as unrelated and different operating systems. Same basic shell/skin/interface and rule set at it's core. Just some feature differences.
the same is true for PF2, A5e, DCC, and tons of other TTRPGs, which was my point

Jaeger

That someone better
True. But the question is, why?

D&D was the first RPG really. So, it's the widest spread.
The others that have come, are trying not to be D&D, so they may not appeal to as wide an audience. Systems may not be alike at all, and that can be off putting.

Outside of that, learn one system, and it probably didn't apply to another. (i.e Try playing RIFTS, COC, Marvel Super-heroes, Star Trek FASA, AD&D2E, and then GURPS, and try not to start trying to swap parts around to get a better overall system)

It's the network effect.

Most videgames, and even mmo's can be played solo, and are plug and play.

Instant gratification.

RPG's require at least one other person.

Thus in RPG land the game that it's easiest to find that one other person to game with, has tended to dominate.

Anything that deviates from the path of least resistance is to be avoided, as finding another player or GM for not-D&D game x is harder than just playing D&D. i.e. it would take "work" to find someone interested.

And the overwhelming majority of 'D&D gamers' are casual gamers, who will not "work" for their fun.

This becomes a self reinforcing loop adding to the network effect of the dominant game system.

Remove ads