PC on PC Action

Doug McCrae

Legend
1e AD&D dungeon. Two of the fighters (one played by me) wanted the thief to check a room for traps, so we grabbed him and threw him in. It turned out the whole floor was a trapper, which swallowed him whole. He didn't even get a saving throw. Hilarious!

I've experienced plenty of PvP and there's often been an element of bullying or personal animosity between the players involved. Not always, but mostly.

This happens all the time in my mafia campaigns. Last campaign one PC plotted with another family. He took out one of the other PCs himself directly and called in a hit another one (who happened to be his capo). It works well in mob games.

the Jester

Legend
I've pretty much seen all possible variants of this over the years, including something like three full intraparty-conflict induced tpks (with one survivor) and several full party vs. full party interactions.

A flannel shirt

First Post
I was running a basic D&D game a few months back. This game was my nephew's first game, he is 11.

This was a one off game so character alignments were not applicable. Everyone was a second level character.

The group consisted of the following:

My Nephew - Cleric (I let him play a mage too)
Geoff - Halfling
Dan - Thief
Bob - Fighter

I put them in a classic dungeon crawl and for some reason the group liked to burn down doors rather than open them. The group is semi serious so I didn't care. We found a stirge nest in the dungeon. There was a large opening in the back of the room and the group allowed the stirge family to fly away without killing them. Then the cliche search of the room. The halfling found a secret (wooden) door hidden underneath "nest" material. Dry sticks, straw, etc. Keeping with tradition the halfling decided to set the door on fire. I was getting annoyed at the burning doors so I advised that the dry nest material started on fire as well. The entire room was full of smoke and fire. I had them start rolling smoke damage until they left the room. The group forged on to the next door and the thief used listen on the door. He didn't hear anything at the door but his concentration allowed him to hear footsteps approaching from the hall they were just in. The halfling and the Cleric/Mage went into the next room then locked the door behind them on the thief and fighter. An NPC party of dwarfs turned the corner very upset at all the smoke and fire that was affecting their ability to hunt. A fight ensued between the thief, fighter and the dwarfs. The other party members decided to tie off a rope to the door so the ones in combat could not reach them. After a few rounds the thief started that door on fire. Through the hole that burned in the door he saw the rope and cut it. The party was reunited and the fighter said to the cleric (my nephew) heal me or suffer my wrath. My nephew said no and was then attacked by the fighter. My nephew retaliated, swung, and hit. He rolled very high on damage killing the fighter. The halfling responded by killing the thief and that was the end of it. The dwarfs become the dead characters next characters and the dungeon continued. There was some tension later in the game but I made sure I put out that fire before it grew onto another door.

His first game and he killed another PC.

possum

First Post
Played in a Star Wars Saga campaign going through the Dawn of Defiance adventure series. My character was a Jedi that was slowly going down the dark path, and the fourth adventure waswhen it finally happened. After being essentially tricked into attacking a fellow player (via a Force-based illusion) and killing him, my character was too far affected by the Dark Side to snap out of it once the illusion wore off, and continued to attack the others.

Later, the paranoia and Dark Side prompted him (AKA, me the player thought it would be appropriate) to attack the other Jedi in the party in an attempt to escape from what he thought would be an execution once he got back to the rebel ship. I was subdued in that fight and was only freed to defend myself against the boss of the module. I managed to escape from the party after the building began to collapse after the end.

Pretty cool character to run.

The last one I saw was a year or two ago.

It was a Warhammer Fantasy game. We were visiting an island that had been discovered several years previously and then colonized. However, contact was cut off and we'd been sent to investigate. We discovered the island had numerous cults, and most humans (but not demi-humans) had gone mad.

We found some glowing rocks. Now, our non-magically inclined, poorly-educated PCs interpreted the rocks as being evil. One PC tried to keep them to himself, although his sole motivation was probably profit. We didn't agree. Violently.

The player stormed out as we killed his PC in only two rounds. (He was back the next session, though, with a new character.) Ironically another PC then did the exact same thing, about five seconds later -- locking them into a box, though -- rather than follow my PC's suggestion of throwing the rocks into the sea. Having just offed a PC, we weren't in the mood to do it again, but ill will was felt around the table.

Still don't know why not one but two PCs couldn't just let go of the rocks. If my character had any larcenous or stealthy abilities he would have stolen the box and thrown it overboard. I don't recall what happened to the rocks, but I think "logically" our PCs would have gotten rid of them, fast!

bouncyhead

Explorer
When we were kids, pretty much every out-of-game grievance would surface in-game. Inter-PC feuds were commonplace and ended up rolling on vendetta-style between players, through PC after PC. Often the 'wronged' player would wait for months, waiting for the moment to strike, ideally through an act of omission. The victim would need a heal, or a remove curse, or pulling up from a pit of snakes and there would be a smile and shake of the head and 'this is for <insert name of backstabbed PC>'.

But back in 1E days it was every man for himself and sessions used to resemble Whacky Races more than The Lord of the Rings.

It was the 'all pull together or die' aspect of Shadowrun that made us change approach. Sometimes I miss the old days of pickpocketing, nudges over cliffs, concealing treasure, cursed items, assassinations etc..

Smoss

First Post
Ah, one of our players has a bad habit of having his character die. His first was a gnome that ended up holding a rope tied to the tail of a flying demon. The flying gnome was quite funny for all until he hit a wall at high speed. Then it was funny for everyone but the player... :)

However his next character was a bard. An annoying bard. He irked the party's sadistic fighter/thief. The bard thought he would have some fun and teach the F/T a lesson about arrogance. The F/T flew out of the bard's range (Had a ring of Air Elemental Command or whatever from 2e). So the bard sets up a trap area with some tree anchors - And uses the web spell to trap the F/T. The bard gloated about the humiliations to come.

The F/T then proceeded to beat the bard to death with Gust of Wind. That ring he had was quite broken. :)
Smoss

Remove ads