PDF - Portrait or Landscape

• Portrait

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Landscape

Votes: 81 64.8%

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
PDF - Portrait or Landscape

We seem to be seeing more and more material being released in the once-shunned landscape format. Here's your chance to sound off in a simple binary poll that is bound to frost someone's ass. Be sure to post and tell me how you wish there were more options. :D ;)

I voted Landscape. It's so much easier to read on the screen, and that rocks.

OTOH, I'm never sure what's the best way to print Landscape. I like to double-side my pages, but the best way to do so is not intuitive with Landscape.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Landscape on screen, but, if feasible, another PDF of portrait for potential printing (like some companies have B&W versions). Maybe that's too much formatting work, though.

As long as I keep the PDF on the monitor, Landscape is clearly superior. Portrait only might be an advantage when printing out, but I _rarely_ do this. I think it might be useful for adventures to have them in portrait format, considering that I don't use my laptop during gaming (at least so far).

Wonka

First Post
I voted landscape. I don't usually print out my pdfs, I use my laptop to view them and landscape works so much better for that. Even for character sheets and other things I might print off, I still prefer landscape, and I realzie Im probably in the minorty on that one.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I mostly read pdfs on the screen, so the landscape format makes that easier.

Portrait means either reducing the size (and I want screen text big for less eye strain) or having to go down and then up to the side to read both columns of one page.

For those not aware of the terms, landscape means wide which matches the normal computer screen dimensions while portrait is tall like printed paper.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I prefer landscape for pdf's also. I usually don't print them, but if I do, I usually just cut and paste what I want and print that. Landscape is definately easier to view on my computer screen. With my new group, I've been using my computer during every game now, however, I don't use it exclusively. It's probably about 50/50 with my books. I track initiative on Excel. I also keep my plot/game session outline and even NPC's/Monsters on Word documents and keep them on screen throughout the game. Having an adventure in landscape pdf would free up even more space on my gametable.

EdPovi

First Post
I greatly prefer landscape for reading on the computer.

Portrait is more traditional for printouts, but it's just as easy to read a printed landscape page.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I had to vote landscape. It is easier to read. However, PDF publishers should make sure the text isn't so small you have to zoom in to read it.

Remove ads