PDFs vs. Books - What's your preference?

PDFs vs. Books - what's your preference?

Why should a digital product that costs 50% the price of a print product to create be sold at 10 - 25% the print product price tag? If there are multiple print runs of a given product, the cost to create gets proportionally less, however, there is no cost savings in the first print run - which most print products only get a single print run.

Once a PDF is produced, no work has to ever be done on it again. It can take advantage of the "long tail" of sales in ways that print never can.

Ultimately, though, it gets down to what the public is willing to pay. I'll pay $5 or less for a PDF if (and only if) there is no print edition and I really want the game. If it costs more than that, I simply won't buy it. Whether the company that puts it out can make a profit or not is immaterial to the consumer.

Time will tell what the "magic number" for rpg PDFs is. When it comes to novels, it's working out to be about $2.99 - $4.99 for fiction that isn't on the bestseller lists and isn't put out by big name authors.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Once a PDF is produced, no work has to ever be done on it again. It can take advantage of the "long tail" of sales in ways that print never can.

True, but most sales of any RPG product (PDF or print) is in its first month of release. Over the course of several/many years the long tail of sales can achieve something, but only with a stable of many products (100+) can any publisher afford to wait on such possibilities. In the mean time, all freelancers must be paid either before publication, or as partial proceeds over the first year. For smaller products that's not too high an upfront cost, but for adventures, setting guides, or anything more substantial than 30+ pages of content it can be an exorbitant cost, and hoping that in the next few years (during the long tail) a publisher may get out of the red on a given product, but they may not. On the other hand a failed print product can easily kill most small publishers. Its a terrible risk to go print product at all.

For example, if we lowball certain costs. Cover art at $50, 1 piece of interior art per 4 pages of content for a 48 page product at $20 per piece is $240, 1 map at $50, writer/designer and editor getting $.03 a word each for 30,000 word product is $1800. That's a total cost for creation whether it goes to print or PDF only for $2140. A normal expectation for a small publisher of sales might be 60 sales in the first year. A $15 product at that cost will need more than 2 years worth of sales to break even - no profit earned yet. If you beat the price down to $5, its going to take more than 6 years to break even. Is that a viable business model?

Ultimately, though, it gets down to what the public is willing to pay. I'll pay $5 or less for a PDF if (and only if) there is no print edition and I really want the game. If it costs more than that, I simply won't buy it. Whether the company that puts it out can make a profit or not is immaterial to the consumer.

To you maybe, but I too am an RPG product customer and I buy both print and PDF products, though mostly PDF these days. I've paid as much as $19 for a PDF, though $10 - 15 per product is more common. I have paid as little as $5 for a product, but that was generally a very small, low page count supplement. I generally won't pay more than $20 for a PDF, though there certainly are PDF only RPG products that cost more than $20. I don't believe I've ever seen a full game at only $5, except perhaps the lightest ruleset, minimal type game.

In the end what is "immaterial to the consumer" may very well spell doom to the RPG industry, let alone the American (and other) economy and job market. I know that the common Japanese mindset is not to have every convenience in the home, rather only buying the best quality products, so the average Japanese household does not have all the conveniences of the average American household, because their buying mindset is completely different than yours. Price cannot be the only measuring stick to base purchases of anything - that kind of thinking will destroy the west. I know as a consumer that quality and content is more important than price, and I base my purchases on far more than price only - its very material to me.

Time will tell what the "magic number" for rpg PDFs is. When it comes to novels, it's working out to be about $2.99 - $4.99 for fiction that isn't on the bestseller lists and isn't put out by big name authors.

Novels have lots of words so writer and editor gets paid here, as well as the cover artist. Novels are far, far cheaper to produce than any RPG product - very much apples and oranges. You can't base the price for one with the other, as the cost differences are exceptionally different.

On the other hand a failed print product can easily kill most small publishers. Its a terrible risk to go print product at all.

That changes with POD, though. When you don't have to do a print run, you don't take that risk.

For example, if we lowball certain costs. Cover art at $50, 1 piece of interior art per 4 pages of content for a 48 page product at $20 per piece is $240, 1 map at $50, writer/designer and editor getting $.03 a word each for 30,000 word product is $1800...<snip>...Is that a viable business model?

You're talking about a specific type of traditional business model, and a specific type of product. I don't assume that people who put out written role playing products are necessarily doing it full-time and making a living at it. Some do, but there are plenty of folks out there who do it as a sideline.

In those cases, just about anyone can learn basic layout and design - certainly enough to do a smaller book - and it isn't hard to hire an English grad student to do basic editing for less than $0.03 a word. Art is generally the bigger expense, but there are cheaper ways to do that, as well (Eastern Europeans on DeviantArt, Fiverr, nonexclusive stock art/photos, etc.). Some of the best RPG products I have seen in the past decade have been relatively small books like "Dogs in the Vineyard" and "Dread," either of which could easily have been done on the cheap.

There is also the whole world of Kickstarter for those who want to put out something more traditional, like you're talking about.

In the end what is "immaterial to the consumer" may very well spell doom to the RPG industry, let alone the American (and other) economy and job market.

If there aren't enough consumers buying RPG PDFs to make it viable for companies to put them out, it won't doom the industry - it will just change it. It could be that everything starts to be put out by hobbyists. It could be that someone finds a way to monetize the products in ways that haven't happened yet. Very few industries just go away. New people with new ideas move in to take over from those who can't figure out a way to adapt and remain profitable.

Price cannot be the only measuring stick to base purchases of anything

It isn't. I have paid $40 for a POD copy of a game before, because I valued the content. I'm just not going to pay half that for an electronic file with no resale value and dependence upon a technology that may change significantly in years to come. Other people do that happily - more power to them. To me, though, a PDF offers a significantly lower quality of experience than having a printed book.

evilbob

Explorer
Very interesting to see that among the ~100 people who have responded, most prefer books. Sorry, but I'm in the "strongly prefer PDFs" camp. One big reason (and I've not read the thread to see if anyone else has said these things) is because I ALWAYS have a laptop in front of me when I run a game, and it's 100x easier to have a bunch of PDFs open to quickly reference things than books. I typically already have a browser with several tabs open anyway, so this just makes everything easier and quicker and saves tons of space at the table.

I've also gotten to the point where I much prefer just reading PDFs of gaming books as well - AS LONG AS THEY ARE BOOKMARKED. I honestly don't know why anyone would ever release their book in PDF form without extensive bookmarking, other than the fact that they had no idea that anyone would actually read their book in PDF form. Bookmarks are a billion times faster than looking something up by hand in a physical book, period. If I skip around as I read - which I often do, since no one writes a gaming book in an order that makes sense - being able to quickly jump back and forth is awesome. However, even non-bookmarked PDFs are still typically faster for me to jump around in, since I can memorize page numbers and jump around that way.

Additionally, 4th Edition D&D absolutely burned me when it comes to books vs. PDFs and I'm hesitant to go back for this alone. 4E books were worthless within a month of print (sometimes faster) because they treated the game like a software project and constantly updated it. Errata can be tolerable, but even a small amount is not the best situation - and nearly every game has rule adjustments and tweaks eventually. In theory, PDFs are far superior because you can re-download the updated version of the book instead of just throwing your physical copy in the trash (or writing in it or whatever). To be fair, many companies don't always update their PDFs - but at least they could (and should).

But probably the biggest reason of all is because I like to read, use, and reference game books from lots of different locations. And sometimes certain games (like 3.5 D&D) have tons and tons of books. It just doesn't make any sense to lug all that weight around when I have dropbox on my iPad. If I'm at lunch and I want to browse something - bam, it's right there. This is one advantage that print never had and will never have: PDFs just completely eclipse physical books this way. Even if I buy a book in book form, I want to get a PDF copy as well so I am not so limited when it comes to access.

I'll honestly have to go back and read this thread sometime so I can figure out why anyone would buy a book anymore - they offer little more than decoration and nostalgia to me. PDFs have such huge advantages I doubt I'll ever go back. (Oh, and they're typically cheaper, too!)

Edit: Ok, going back through this thread, the majority of responses are actually in favor of PDFs, or people who like both but only list positives for PDFs. So far, the only positives for books listed are:
- collectable nature of books (fair enough)
- enjoy reading physical copies more (probably because they are used to it; I wonder if some of these people have tried the latest tablets)

That's pretty much it. "Decoration and nostalgia" still seem to be the main reasons as far as I am understanding.

Another good thing I forgot to mention that someone else did about PDFs is that you can often just snatch a couple of pages and email them to someone if they need a reference, whereas with a book you need an entire copier/printer to do the same. (Obviously some peoples' access varies, so this may or may not apply to you.)

Last edited:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Strongly prefer PDFs, for the following reasons:

1) I'm pretty well set for RPGs I'm going to be playing for the foreseeable future, and I have all of that in dead-tree format. So anything I'm likely to pickup is going to be for me to rummage through for game I already play. I find electronic formats to be much better for that sort of cherry picking. Anything I feel I'll want to print out will be a small enough page count, it won't cost an arm and a leg.

2) Despite what I said at the end of #1, I can in fact, print for dirt cheap. Heck I even got some very good binding materials for free if I want a hardback on something.

3) I have more hard drive space that shelf space.

jtolman3

First Post
I pretty much like having both in this day an age.

I like having tactile books. I like to read the books but not have to stare at a screen.
I also like having PDfs available for quick reference and they are much easier to take with you places.

But if the power ever goes out or the apocalypse happens... I hopefully will still have my books.

Remove ads