• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Penalty for Subdual Damage, anyway to get rid of it?

hong

WotC's bitch
Personally, I'd look at it from the point of view of what sort of feel I want in the campaign. If I want something like a wuxia/kung fu movie, where people get into lots of fights and end up with nothing but bruises, I'd let everyone deal subdual if they want, without any penalties. If I wanted something more lethal, then I'd stick to the book rules.

LokiDR

First Post
There is a 1/2 level weapon enhancement in Book of Eldrich Might III that converts all damage to subdual, command word activeted.

Hejdun

First Post
I just house rule it to remove the penalty altogether. It tends to take some of the bloodthirst away from the game, which I like. There's more of an incentive to capture someone when you don't have to seriously gimp your combat ability.

Isn't there a metamagic feat in T+B that converts magic damage to subdual damage?

shilsen

Adventurer
Hejdun said:
Isn't there a metamagic feat in T+B that converts magic damage to subdual damage?

Subdual Substitution. Doesn't take a higher level slot, but can only apply to spells with a specific energy descriptor (chosen when taking the feat), which makes it a lot less useful. Still, subdual fireballs are great for capturing or incpacitating people without killing them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads