• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Penny Arcade] Do you use "Magic!" too much or not enough?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
You know what's worked great for me lately? Gods.

Historically I've used gods that are these distant and immensely powerful beings way beyond the ken of mere mortals. You know: "The Usual".

In my current campaign all those "Old Gods" vanished in the same worldwide cataclysm that killed 99.9% of everybody else in the world. And they were replaced by the new gods who are (for the most part) pretty earthly. Things like powerful angels, ancient dragons and even just very high level Warlocks are all called "gods". And they do all kinds of stuff that I just kind of make up on the fly. And the players never question it because they are "gods". They're inscrutable!

What I think makes this work is that all the really amazing stuff they do, even though it doesn't follow a specific set of rules, follows a theme. If the goddess of wisdom reveals some insightful piece of information or the god of vengeance does something really vengeful, nobody bats an eye.

So yeah, I think it's ok to call "MAGIC!" Just do it with style!

Remove ads