• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Perfect example of the kind of interaction that I wish Wizards had with it's community.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
[MENTION=55961]goldomark[/MENTION] - considering I've now just read three different threads on the front page of this forum, in which you complain about Mearls lying to the fandom about cancelling an unannounced product, do you not see what Defcon1 is pointing to? Do you really not see it?
I think you do not see what I'm saying. Someone said that WotC never did anything to promote bad interactions with fans. I provide a list of such actions. Then I'm attacked for prooving WotC did indeed had bad interactions.

Defcon1's strawman is to say that some people are mad cause WotC cancelled a product. That is false. Some people are insulted because Mearls promoted bad interaction with fans. WotC can cancel products. It won't get people mad... if they do not try to be smart alecs. Fans are intelligent. They saw the ad copies and the cover art.

Or mentioning, again pretty off hand, that jury duty is delaying a very low priority product, is held up as an example of either incompetency or outright dishonesty by WOTC,
Again, those two words haven't been used. I get it. It is easy to attack what hasn't been said. But could you attack what I did say?

What I said wass that instead of excuses, why not just say out right that the conversion documents are not a priority? Again, this is about fans and customers being intelligent people who merit respect. People are very understanding when your direct with them.

Or, as I said, just do not tweet. The pseudo-silence is starting to brings confusion and false hopes. On twitter, Perkins said to a fan who was asking if the FR were the default setting "who said the FR are the default setting?" A few weeks later we get Nathan Stewart in an official interview say that the FR will be the only setting used for a years to come. De facto the FR are the default setting for some time (and who know when the edition will reboot, so they might be the only setting 5e sees). Ok, factually Perkins was right, but it did create some hopes that we now know are not accurate. Diappointement. Not great fan interaction, no? Do not tell me Perkins didn't know. In another tweet he said that he was writting storylines for the next 7 years. He new.

To be clear, I'm not mad at him or Mearls. I'm really not. There is sort of a bemusement wathing this. But do not tell me interaction with fans is top notch or that these are isolated. I've mentioned other examples in the past. Saying all is well is just insulting to people's intelligence.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Ever since WOTC released the OGL, they had a horrible track record with public relations, making statements, and not following through on it. I don't expect 5E will be any different. Once you relinquish control, it is very difficult to gain it back. Add to that the fragmentation within the game, and all I can say it good luck.

Interesting. I would say it started around 2005-06. That is when all sort of new colums on their website were announced and started but were dropped rapidly. Why do you say once the OGL was released?

pemerton

Legend
Excuse me? Heaven forbid I express my opinion. That makes me not deserving of being spoken to? Last I checked we all have opinions and a right to express them. SHAME ON YOU for attacking me for expressing my opinion.

"To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker." Frederick Douglass

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
George Orwell

Seriously shame on you. Have more respect for opinions that differ from yours. Even if you disagree.
No one suppressed your speech. [MENTION=7006]DEFCON 1[/MENTION] just disagreed with it.

justinj3x3

Banned
Banned
Hmm, you picked up right where Goldomark left off and your posts sounded just like his I honestly thought you were him. My apologies for that. I wasn't trying to offend. I too thought you were trying to be funny.

You are still wrong about the cancelled thing. :)

Edit: you need to relax a bit. We are just hanging out and having fun here.

I admit I still had a chip on my shoulder in regards to DEFCONs comment about not deserving of being spoken to mostly. That and past experience trying to express my thoughts or ask questions over at the WOTC forums. I was on the defensive. My bad.

As far as me being wrong about the canceled thing.... well..... :p ... so there!

Last edited:

justinj3x3

Banned
Banned
No one suppressed your speech. @DEFCON 1 just disagreed with it.

The "suppress" line is just a general quote from Frederick Douglass. I didn't say DEFCON suppressed me. Although he didn't disagree with me either (not with any words). He simply stated people like myself (or "we" to be accurate) don't deserve to be spoken to, which is not a cool comment in my eyes. At any rate this is old news and I'm over it.

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
You
I admit I still had a chip on my shoulder in regards to DEFCONs comment about not deserving of being spoken to mostly. That and past experience trying to express my thoughts or ask questions over at the WOTC forums. I was on the defensive. My bad.

As far as me being wrong about the canceled thing.... well..... :p ... so there!

Ahh, the WotC boards can be . . . It's better to just stay away.

Well, there's no one to blame for this except all the screaming masses that did nothing but rip WotC a new one over and over any time something wasn't released in the exact form they had mentioned months or years before.

I wonder if Ed has had that experience yet?

Actually, Ed hasn't had to deal with that, because ever since the relaunch of Mortal Kombat in 2011 .... the 2011 game and this new game have gotten nothing but amazing reviews. NetherRealm Studios (which was once known as Midway Studios ... the original publisher of MK in the 90's) reversed what they had been doing, and gave the fans exactly what was wanted, (and needed,) for the franchise to be successful again. And to make matters even more crazy, is that NetherRealm must answer to Warner Bros. of all companies!! Yes .... Warner Bros. The "we know what is best, so that is what we are giving you and you will like it" company.

Another good example of great company interaction .... is Paizo. They are always letting fans know what is going on and even posting playtests of new rules (like the Mythic Adventures rules) for us to download for free and playtest. What would be so wrong about WoTC being more open and thorough? Answering fan questions honestly? The more I read through the many posts about this topic ....... I'm starting to think we should collectively start pointing our pitchforks and shovels at Hasbro not WoTC.

Hussar

Legend
Another good example of great company interaction .... is Paizo. They are always letting fans know what is going on and even posting playtests of new rules (like the Mythic Adventures rules) for us to download for free and playtest. What would be so wrong about WoTC being more open and thorough? Answering fan questions honestly? The more I read through the many posts about this topic ....... I'm starting to think we should collectively start pointing our pitchforks and shovels at Hasbro not WoTC.

We saw exactly what happened when WOTC was open and honest during 4e. Dev's regularly posted on their blogs, they were very clear and up front about design goals and what was coming up.

You really think that's a good idea?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads