Permanent Portable Magnificent Mansion?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Build yourself a nice building in any cheap way you like.

Use permanent shrink item cast by an 11th level for 1500 xp to make this 1/4000th the size. so if you build 400 feet in every direction, you now have just over an inch by inch cube to carry with you and expand at will.

Just make sure nothing in the building is magic, and see if your dm is ok with the idea of a building being one thing (If you dm is open to discussion raise the point a weapon with a wooden handle and a metal blade is one thing, in the same way a home with its furnishings is, so long as everything is in contact its all technically one thing, the spell itself should function ok)

Then make it cloth like and your set to go.

that would be 75000 + a house (Probably 5000 for a really big nice one) so 80000 if you don't mind that most of your furniture is bolted to the floor.
This is definitely an option I'd consider. personal magical and significant items can be carried in extradimensonal bags, furniture built into the home itself.

At 2 Cubic Feet per level, at level 11 minimum, what level does one need to be to make a 400 feet in every direction building under the effects of this spell? My math is crappy, but methinks this is far into the Epic range. How much space does 22 Cubic feet cover?

Sounds like Daerns Instant Fortress is cheaper and accomplishes the same thing, but I like this kind of thinking.

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
If you go with the portable hole/bag of holding route, you should check the enveloping pit from the MiC too.

Also, you can build an actual tower somewhere, and have a ring of teleport to tower x/day
I'm considering options for my level 11 NG Factotum, I can't meet the alignment restriction. See, at level 10, he took a break from the adventuring thing, did a stint at Mathghamhna teaching a course on Aberration Handling, than took a year to create his own fortress in the side of a cliff. After that interesting sabbatical (Which I'm writing for fun as a very lengthy journal, I may post it up sometime), he's returning to adventuring at level 11, but has become rather spoiled by having the comforts of home and would like to bring it with him.

The teleport idea is a very good one. I've considered a Word of Recall item plus a Greater Platform of Jaunting from Stronghold Builders Guide to come and go as one pleases from home to anywhere on the Material Plane. Platform of Jaunting provides limitless Teleportation one way, bringing up to 850lbs of materials. This nifty feature comes at a whopping 76,500gp (38,250gp and Greater Teleport to make it himself) and waaay outside the price and spell range for my level 11 PC.

Additionally, Strongholder's Builders Guide has Wondrous Architecture enchantment called Chamber of Comfort, that keeps a room airy and a comfy 70 degrees. 7500gp. This would accomplish the constant air, if there are no cheaper options. Cheaper than a Necklace of Adaptation.

While my Factotum is to low a level to cast Plane Shift needed to make a Portable Hole, I'd love to have him mutter and swear about how difficult it is to sew Phase Spider webs using strands of ether and beams of starlight. He may instead shell out the cash to buy one, then design an elaborate wooden loft as a 6' diameter, 10' high cylinder using his 1 Rank + 5 INT Mod + 11 Inspiration Craft (Woodworking) skill.

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Hmm... You could enchant a blanket with a permanent Mansion portal then just roll it up and strap it to your pack like a bedroll. It just needs to be big enough to form a portal you can walk through. So long as the door is "open" air comes in even though nobody outside sees anything but a blanket on the ground. Also, if it is big enough on the inside if the portal is sealed it will still take a long time to run out of air. Pack a crystal ball and you can monitor what happens outside. No reason you cannot enchant it with some amenities, like a permanent unseen servant in every room. You could even enchant the blanket as a carpet of flying. One party member pilots the lot of you and all your horses and henchpersons to your destination while you lounge around...
This would be very good, if I knew by RAW how to make the Mordenkain's Magnificent Mansion permanent, since the spell Permanency is very limited in it's applications.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
One Option- Portable Hole Loft Appartment

PortableHoleAppartment-2.jpg

Portable Hole loft. Using Craft (Woodworking), Craft (Leather), Craft (Ceramics) and Craft (Sewing), my level 11 Factotum should be able to build this multi-level wooden cylinder with a +17 in each of these skills.

Put 5' shelves mostly all around the walls for books and things (doubles as the ladder out), floor has storage space underneath, Bedding loft up top.

Make a stone frame hearth by the wall at the feet of the armchair with a Continual Flame. Keep a Glowing Orb on the bed loft top on a shelf for lighting.

Build the entire assembly as normal, then drop it inside your Portable Hole!

Assemble for some 2 digit number worth of gold in wood and other materials. Lets even call it 100gp.

Portable Hole- 20,000gp.

Chamber of Comfort enchantment (for air and a constant 70 degrees!)- 7,500gp.

Eternal Wand of Prestidigitation (cleaning the Chamber Pot)- 420gp.

Ruby Dust (For Continual Flame)- 50gp.

Total: 28,070gp for a portable loft apartment. Much better than sleeping around a campfire exposed in the open woods!

Last edited:

I kinda enjoy simple maths :p And all this is a question of surface area, so it was a bit relaxing to do it ^_^
At 16th level you can shrink a total surface area of
32 foot by 32 foot by 32 foot, so you have 32768 foot of surface area.
_____
Maths and stuff said:
If one wall of your building is 100 foot long, 50 foot tall, and half an inch (0.12 foot) thick. It has a total surface area of 300 cubic feet.

By arranging these in a four by four grid you get 4*4 rooms so 16 rooms

This grid uses 40 walls so your surface area for a single floor is 300*40. This comes to 12000 cubic feet.

now to add the roof we need to have it 400 foot long, by 400 foot wide, by half an inch thick, so its surface area is 19200 foot

Add your 12000 to 19200 and you have 31200 feet

You now have 1568 cu foot of furniture, which I am sure your DM wont fuss over

This working has provided you with one floor that is fifty foot tall, four hundred feet wide and four hundred feet long containing 16 rooms (and no floor, though you can make your floor basically paper thin)

For my initial four hundred foot tall idea you would need 8 castings of the spell from a 16th level.

You can make the process cheaper by enlisting a lower level with caster level bonus' if you like, if you can find a way to get +5 caster level, then you can have an 11th level make it.

Basically it will cost you one casting from a 16th level wizard for a single floor or 8 castings for your 400 foot tall mansion

each floor gets 16 rooms, so your 400 foot tall mansion gets 128 rooms.

anest1s

First Post
Target: One touched object of up to 2 cu. ft./level

so at level 16 you can shrink an object up to 32 cu. ft.

I am not familiar with feets and cubic feets, but I think 32 cu ft aren't a 32*32*32 area, but 32 (1*1*1) cu fts.

kitcik

Adventurer
One Option- Portable Hole Loft Appartment

PortableHoleAppartment-2.jpg

Portable Hole loft. Using Craft (Woodworking), Craft (Leather), Craft (Ceramics) and Craft (Sewing), my level 11 Factotum should be able to build this multi-level wooden cylinder with a +17 in each of these skills.

Put 5' shelves mostly all around the walls for books and things (doubles as the ladder out), floor has storage space underneath, Bedding loft up top.

Make a stone frame hearth by the wall at the feet of the armchair with a Continual Flame. Keep a Glowing Orb on the bed loft top on a shelf for lighting.

Build the entire assembly as normal, then drop it inside your Portable Hole!

Assemble for some 2 digit number worth of gold in wood and other materials. Lets even call it 100gp.

Portable Hole- 20,000gp.

Chamber of Comfort enchantment (for air and a constant 70 degrees!)- 7,500gp.

Eternal Wand of Prestidigitation (cleaning the Chamber Pot)- 420gp.

Ruby Dust (For Continual Flame)- 50gp.

Total: 28,070gp for a portable loft apartment. Much better than sleeping around a campfire exposed in the open woods!

If you are lawful, use the Enveloping Pit (as mentioned perviously). Save 16,400 GP and get MORE space. MIC p 159.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I kinda enjoy simple maths :p And all this is a question of surface area, so it was a bit relaxing to do it ^_^
Um... no.

The area for the spell is 2 cubic feet per caster level, not a cube of 2 feet per level on a side.
SRD said:
Shrink Item
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Duration: One day/level; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)
You are able to shrink one nonmagical item (if it is within the size limit) to 1/16 of its normal size in each dimension (to about 1/4,000 the original volume and mass). This change effectively reduces the object’s size by four categories. Optionally, you can also change its now shrunken composition to a clothlike one. Objects changed by a shrink item spell can be returned to normal composition and size merely by tossing them onto any solid surface or by a word of command from the original caster. Even a burning fire and its fuel can be shrunk by this spell. Restoring the shrunken object to its normal size and composition ends the spell.
Shrink item can be made permanent with a permanency spell, in which case the affected object can be shrunk and expanded an indefinite number of times, but only by the original caster.
Additionally, the permanent version can be shrunken and restored only by the original caster.

Now figure that a 10x10x10 room is 1000 cubic feet, requiring a 500th level caster.

Building your mansion this way is going to take a long time.

Using Widen Spell you could get by with a 68th level caster, but meta-magic feats don't stack with themselves so that's about as low as you can get.

And the idea of having the opening to a permanent Magnificent Mansion set in a piece of cloth is a nice one, but as far as I know the opening isn't actually attached to anything normally. It's a point in space. If it happens to coincide with a piece of cloth (or any other solid object) that's a coincidence. The item can move, but the opening will stay where it was, since its anchor is a point in space, not the object.

Now the Shrink Item trick can work pretty well in other ways. An iron wardrobe or large chest could be within capacity, and you could keep a pretty luxurious set of camping gear in there. But it won't be what you want.

What you're looking for is an Instant Fortress. Pricey, but you can open it anyplace you have the space.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer

so at level 16 you can shrink an object up to 32 cu. ft.

I am not familiar with feets and cubic feets, but I think 32 cu ft aren't a 32*32*32 area, but 32 (1*1*1) cu fts.

The area for the spell is 2 cubic feet per caster level, not a cube of 2 feet per level on a side.

Additionally, the permanent version can be shrunken and restored only by the original caster.

Now figure that a 10x10x10 room is 1000 cubic feet, requiring a 500th level caster.

Building your mansion this way is going to take a long time.

Using Widen Spell you could get by with a 68th level caster, but meta-magic feats don't stack with themselves so that's about as low as you can get.

And the idea of having the opening to a permanent Magnificent Mansion set in a piece of cloth is a nice one, but as far as I know the opening isn't actually attached to anything normally. It's a point in space. If it happens to coincide with a piece of cloth (or any other solid object) that's a coincidence. The item can move, but the opening will stay where it was, since its anchor is a point in space, not the object.

Now the Shrink Item trick can work pretty well in other ways. An iron wardrobe or large chest could be within capacity, and you could keep a pretty luxurious set of camping gear in there. But it won't be what you want.

What you're looking for is an Instant Fortress. Pricey, but you can open it anyplace you have the space.
That was my understanding. 22 Cubic Feet is not a single cube that is 22 feet on each side, but 22 cubes that total 1'x1'x1'. Like a stack of smallish boxes. This would be useful for storage, but not a residence.

Remove ads