Permanent Portable Magnificent Mansion?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Posted at 3:52 PM

Posted at 5:33 PM

What took you so long. :lol:
I got it when I first read the post. :lol:
Or maybe it is just that you can take the Soldier out of the Airborne but you can't take the AIRBORNE out of the Soldier. ;)

Someone please XP this guy for me!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Flying mansions have all kinds of uses, not just aerial either. A carpet full of troops would make a good trojan horse, too...

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
You could try to emulate an alignment with use magic device, if you don't roll a 1 :p
Oh... this has Merit. Factotums rock the skill checks.

Use that as a base to craft / buy one with a NG alignment restriction?
It's an option, but I like to remain as RAW as possible, customizing things, even a little bit, somehow chafes me slightly. Like I'm cheating somehow. You Can See This Thread where I unsuccessfully attempted to develop a custom magic item. Also, for [MENTION=94230]anest1s[/MENTION] and your suggestions, the fact that it's a relic connected with a deity makes me extra nervous to mess with.
Meh, I do not see any reason you cannot design a magic item that incorporates a Magnificent Mansion into its own structure. What is the real difference between that and a Bag of Holding? You are dealing with a magically generated transdimensional space in both cases. The item in effect creates the portal. Move the item and the portal moves. Without this ability you creating a HUGE limitation on the functionality of this spell and for what reason? A magic carpet with a built-in transdimensional mansion can be part cruise ship/part troop transport. Imagine how many soldiers could fit in one. What despot would not want one?
Again, custom item chafing. Nothing wrong with it, just my own personal problem I guess.
OMG... Just had a thought... If you had a flying carpet troop carrier and a wand of feather fall, you could turn your soldiers into paratroopers. You could easily drop a squad of soldiers behind a castle wall or deep in enemy territory. With invisibility they could land unnoticed and start sabotaging the enemy before engaging in combat...
See My Pocket Airship. Way to expensive for the purposes of this thread, but Awesome.
2e:
Bag of travel. Appears in Dungeon Magazine 78 in the adventure "Unexpected guests"

3e:
There was a magnificent mansion style doll house in Dragon magazines 299, page 66 "Wizard's toy box"
I will definitely look this up. Thanks.
You can make a magic item, of course. The spell, as written, however, doesn't lend itself to the plan suggested: Make it Permanent with the entrance on a piece of cloth.

Now, as far as "create an item" is concerned, it already exists.
Daern's Instant Fortress rocks. One of my players had one once, command word was "Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead". Good times.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I am not a math person, does anyone have a rough idea how much a flying mansion could actually carry? Just what kind of military force could you pack into my magic carpet?

Greenfield

Adventurer
I'm a math person, sort of.

So let's start with the "given" points (many of which I disagree with.)

1) It's possible to create a permanent Mage's Magnificent Mansion (it's not on the list of spells that can be made Permanent.)
2) It's possible to affix the opening to an item, like a flying carpet (nothing to support this in the spell description.)
3) Caster level is 13 (the minimum needed to cast the spell in the first place.)

If we accept those points as "Given", we get...

At 13th level, the Mansion will have 39,000 cubic feet of space. (3 10 foot cubes per caster level.)

The unanswered (and unasked) question in this is, how tight are you willing to pack those soldiers?

If we decide that the rooms will have 10 foot ceilings, and we're going to pack the soldiers one per 5 foot square, we get 4 men per 10 foot cube, times 39 10 foot cubes, and we get 156 men in your Mansion spell. That's 250 cubic feet per person, for 12 people per caster level, in case you were keeping track.

If we're willing to drop the ceiling height to 8 feet we get 48.75 10x10 squares, and our invasion force goes up to 195. That's 200 cubic feet per person, or 15 people per caster level.

6 foot ceilings? We can get 260 men in there. That's 150 cubic feet per person, or 20 people per caster level.

The spell says that the air is always fresh and clean, so it might be claustrophobic, but it will work.

If they're in there for a relatively short time, and can stand to be packed in like cattle you can quadruple those numbers. Really claustrophobic, and God help us if someone farts. :)

Now, more realistically, allowing for walkways, a place to sit or lay down and space for gear, you're talking 50 people. That's allowing a cot and footlocker, plus space between. Double-deck the bunks and you can almost double the number (foot lockers don't double-deck too well).

I wouldn't try to keep even that reduced number in there for any period of time.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm a math person, sort of.

So let's start with the "given" points (many of which I disagree with.)

1) It's possible to create a permanent Mage's Magnificent Mansion (it's not on the list of spells that can be made Permanent.)
2) It's possible to affix the opening to an item, like a flying carpet (nothing to support this in the spell description.)
3) Caster level is 13 (the minimum needed to cast the spell in the first place.)

If we accept those points as "Given", we get...

At 13th level, the Mansion will have 39,000 cubic feet of space. (3 10 foot cubes per caster level.)

The unanswered (and unasked) question in this is, how tight are you willing to pack those soldiers?

If we decide that the rooms will have 10 foot ceilings, and we're going to pack the soldiers one per 5 foot square, we get 4 men per 10 foot cube, times 39 10 foot cubes, and we get 156 men in your Mansion spell. That's 250 cubic feet per person, for 12 people per caster level, in case you were keeping track.

If we're willing to drop the ceiling height to 8 feet we get 48.75 10x10 squares, and our invasion force goes up to 195. That's 200 cubic feet per person, or 15 people per caster level.

6 foot ceilings? We can get 260 men in there. That's 150 cubic feet per person, or 20 people per caster level.

The spell says that the air is always fresh and clean, so it might be claustrophobic, but it will work.

If they're in there for a relatively short time, and can stand to be packed in like cattle you can quadruple those numbers. Really claustrophobic, and God help us if someone farts. :)

Now, more realistically, allowing for walkways, a place to sit or lay down and space for gear, you're talking 50 people. That's allowing a cot and footlocker, plus space between. Double-deck the bunks and you can almost double the number (foot lockers don't double-deck too well).

I wouldn't try to keep even that reduced number in there for any period of time.
That's assuming the figures for Medium sized people, what if they're Halflings? =)

Or better yet, Warforged Scouts (Race, not class). Warforged don't need cots, nor do they fart.

But I'm thinking for the most bang for your buck, get some sort of swarm.

Some people will be taller than 6'. You need at least 7', especially if anyone is in armor.

Who cares about a fart?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
That's assuming the figures for Medium sized people, what if they're Halflings? =)

Or better yet, Warforged Scouts (Race, not class). Warforged don't need cots, nor do they fart.

But I'm thinking for the most bang for your buck, get some sort of swarm.

Warforged do not require air, food, or water, and do not have the emotional context to develop a need for "personal space". You could pack them in like sardines and they would not care...

Shaghayegh

First Post
Warforged do not require air, food, or water, and do not have the emotional context to develop a need for "personal space". You could pack them in like sardines and they would not care...

Warforged could stand together in rows, you give them each a 3'x3' square. That would be a LOT of soldiers...

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Warforged standing in rows at attention for the full trip, I am thinking at least 400 soldiers and their gear. No mounts, just soldiers, weapons, ammunition, and light pack full of gear for each one. They never get tired, need no sleep, do not need to sit and rest, do not need air, do not go potty, do not need rations. Just give them some climbing gear and torches, plenty of spare arrows or sling bullets, and a self-repair kit. Pack them in tight formation and away you go...

Remove ads