• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Permanent shape-shifting in 3.5

Nareau

Explorer
One of the PC's in a game I'm running got herself reincarnated as a swarm of bees. While I think she (the player) had fun with it for a while, it's starting to grate on her, and she's looking for ways that her character might regain his original form (or at least a humanoid one).

She's just now going up a level, and (being a Sor10) is looking at taking Polymorph Other. But, as we all know, PO is getting a major change in 3.5.

So on to my question: What are her options? Are there any rules in 3.5 for someone who wants to change their shape Permanently? Instantaneously (ie, can't be dispelled)? Or even long-duration (1 hour/level or better)?

At this point, all I can think of are: Die, and be reincarnated again (and hope for the best); take a bunch of levels of druid; learn and cast Magic Jar a lot.

I may end up going with a more story-based idea. I'm even tempted to let her find "an ancient, far more powerful version of Polymorph Other" on a scroll. ;)

Spider

fba827

Adventurer
I don't recall all the details at the moment.. but I vaguely recall a concept of "Prestige Race" in some issue of Dragon Magazine. They would change your type to that of your new race (they stem from some symbiotic relationship to an outsider/alien race if not a transformation into said race altogether)...

But, again, I could be remembering wrong and it may not do what you want it to...

aside from stuff like that, a wish / miracle spell may be your best way to go.

Or, make it a magic item (that has the power of a wish in it - just don't need to so blatantly refer to it as a "wish"). Then, can make a quest in itself out of this...

(just some ramblings)

Shaele

First Post
My sorcerer recently picked up a phylactery of change (Arms & Equipment Guide) that lets him polymorph into a single form and keep it as long as desired (can only change 1/day). It basically lasts until dispelled, which makes it extremely useful for travel or situations like this.

The tough part is figuring out how to get a swarm of bees to wear a phylactery...

Mormanth

First Post
Sounds like the start of a small scale campaign for the party.

First, they need to find the ancient transmuter in the forest. He is rumoured to have a potion of true form...

But when the PCs arrive, they find the lab looted, the wizard gone, and a strange symbol carved on the doorway...

Go with it.

LordAO

First Post
How can a character be turned into a swarm of something? Reincaranate can only turn you into a single creature, not dozens of them!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"What are you going to do? Release the hounds? Or the bees? Or the hounds with bees in their mouths, and when they bark they shoot bees at you?"

-Hyp.

Remove ads