D&D General Pet or familiar for a hunter of the undead?

Arvok

Explorer
It all depends on what you mean by hunting undead. I think a dog would be a great thematic choice. In the real world we have cadaver dogs that can sniff out dead bodies even if they're underground. There's also a fairly common trope that animals can sense ghosts and the like.

It seems likely to me that a religious warrior who has dedicated his life to destroying undead might be rewarded by his deity with a dog that unfailingly senses undead and alerts the hero whenever they draw near. Even a small dog that isn't terribly effective in combat would be quite useful if it alerts the paladin to the ghouls that are still 120 feet away, or the invisible ghost that is in the next room and about to come through the wall.

A movie I would recommend for a hunter of the dead type is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Amazing movie - something I thought was cool was Mister Darcy, who hunted the infected, kept a jar of flies with him, and would release them. they'd be drawn to the smell of decay that others couldn't smell.

I also would agree with a dog of some sorts. They're not usually intimidating to normals, can be passed off as just a pet, etc... plus I don't see a reason that they can't take the Aid Other action to get you advantage in combat, even/especially small, fast active dogs like a Jack Russell.

Great replies, everyone!
I love the hyena, @Sir Brennen. I may cook up some "weird" idea like the bell that @doctorbadwolf mentioned. Good idea too.

The small companions such as a small sniffing-dog or a weasel/ferret was not what I was looking for, but will now be built into the campaign in a different place. Very useful too for my setting. And I cannot believe that I hadn't thought of a raven myself yet. It's almost too obvious. Thanks, @MiraMels!

I hope you all enjoyed brainstorming these ideas. I surely enjoyed reading it. Thanks!

gets to work

Remove ads