• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Petrified and Dead

lonebrendan

First Post
I have a character who was petrified, thrown from a 200 ft castle tower, then was covered with lava.

I guess he was having a bad day.

Clearly his hp has dropped below negative bloodied.

Luckily an ally ran by and grabbed a piece of him before the lava rolled over.

I want to cast raise dead. My question is this.. when he dies does the Petrified status go away? Raise dead states petrified characters cannot be raised. The remove afflictions ritual, which would normally be used to remove petrify, makes it sound like you can only use it on a living creature (it does hp damage and could kill the character it's used on).

Is there any source which states that you lose the petrified condition when dead?

lonebrendan

First Post
The DM does hate me. lol

This is the character's second death. He is level 12.

If you count all the times he should have been dead, where the rules were bent to keep the party alive because either we don't work well together as a party or he made the encounters too hard, this would probably be his 4th or 5th death.

Larrin

Entropic Good
Raise dead requires a piece of the corpse from within 30 days....You right now have a piece of a statue. I think you need to use remove affliction (with no fear of the negative effects) to turn your piece of statue into a chunk of corpse, then raise dead. However, since petrification ends aging, I would think you can keep that piece petrified person for more than 30 days and just 'remove affliction->raise dead' when you have time :p

kaomera

Explorer
Luckily an ally ran by and grabbed a piece of him before the lava rolled over.
A finger, perhaps? What was the character's name?

A friend of mine played in a game where a... piece... of a dead, petrified character was carried around, half-forgotten, until the climax of the campaign. They finally remembered it when, in the process of re-creating the universe, they needed something to replace the evil in it (which they had previously destroyed).

lonebrendan

First Post
Raise dead requires a piece of the corpse from within 30 days....You right now have a piece of a statue. I think you need to use remove affliction (with no fear of the negative effects) to turn your piece of statue into a chunk of corpse, then raise dead. However, since petrification ends aging, I would think you can keep that piece petrified person for more than 30 days and just 'remove affliction->raise dead' when you have time :p
That sounds good to me.
A finger, perhaps? What was the character's name?

A friend of mine played in a game where a... piece... of a dead, petrified character was carried around, half-forgotten, until the climax of the campaign. They finally remembered it when, in the process of re-creating the universe, they needed something to replace the evil in it (which they had previously destroyed).

This character's name was Mars. Wow though, your campaign ended with recreating the whole universe? Sounds pretty bad ass, and way epic level.

S'mon

Legend
The most generous interpretation of both rituals would be that remove affliction gets you a dead flesh finger, and raise dead recreates a living body around the now-living finger.

IMC you'd be DEAD DEAD DEAD. :)

kaomera

Explorer
IMC you'd be DEAD DEAD DEAD. :)
See, where's the fun in that? Make them run around looking for the special thingy that will let them unpetrify the finger (I'm just going to assume that it's a finger at this point) in a raise-able form, and then when they get the raise it fails because the character has already been brought back somewhere else...

Remove ads