[PF2] Big rules update incoming

zztong

Explorer
The DM's rolls were not visible to me. I only saw the results. There were crits every round; sometimes there were 2 Crits from 3 attacks. It would be unlikely that it was always the first attack. He didn't have a reason to fudge against the PCs. It sounds like he wasn't using a -5 penalty for a second attack, etc.

He's asked me to help keep an eye on the rules since they're changing quickly and this is a busy time of year for him. My time is limited too, so I've not been reading up on the critters in the adventures. I've not even glanced at the bestiary. We spend a lot of time assisting newer players.

EDIT: I asked the DM (via chat) and he said he was applying the -5 penalty. And that he rolled multiple 20's in that fight.

Knowing that we were getting clobbered, I'm surprised he didn't fudge in favor, but perhaps because it was a playtest he wanted to see how things turn out. We had not seen the dying rules in play up to that point.

Last edited:

zztong

Explorer
I've chatted with the DM more...

He recalls only 5 crits total. He used -4 for second attack because of Agile Claws. He doesn't remember the Ranger being down every round and that the Ranger got to attack some. That's not what I recall, but he's probably right. He also recalled that the Ranger was trapped having a bow equipped and that being in melee messed him up. I didn't realize the Ranger didn't switch to a melee weapon. Apparently he was trying to use a longbow in melee.

Arakasius

First Post
Well yeah if he rolls a bunch of natural 20s thats the breaks. It's also why I do my dice rolls publicly. I think it feels more fair to the players that way. But yes the new rules makes it that first attacks on boss type monsters are much more likely to crit.

zztong

Explorer
We played and I updated this message as we went. This way will hopefully avoid my faulty memory.

We have another player this week, adding a Bard to the group.

Prior to play we discussed the new (1.3) dying rules. They didn't seem overly complex, yet the DM decided to skip them and go with the D&D 5e approach, which is odd because we've only played D&D 5e once. I guess we're not into playtesting that. Not my call; play on.

We went through some gnolls approaching the dungeon. No problems.

We're stuck at the Electric Latch Rune trying to figure out the rules. We've come to the conclusion that none of us can disable it as there is no expert Thievery skill in the group. The Monk is closest as "Trained." There's a spell option, but we can't seem to interpret how it works. We can't cast Dispel Magic as we're not high enough level. The DM eventually decided that any 2nd level spell slot could be used to dispel the rune. Otherwise, we were just going to eat the damage and move on.

We somehow provoke earth and water elementals, determined initiative, and then Hero Lab Online dumped us all out. (This seems to happen every time we play.) We've been bitten by the Hit Point bug all night. There's some confusion about how/why the Ranger's bear pet has Legendary jaws. After some clumbsyness, I'm (the Monk) exploring the swimming rules. So far, I've managed to sink. If I'm "lucky" enough, I can playtest the suffocation rules. Hmm, breath goes fast and I'm having trouble making DC 12 Swim with a +4. Luckily my base move is 35 feet, so I can actually make progress trying to swim "up" when I do make my roll, but when I fail I sink twice as fast. I was saved by the Druid in giant frog form using his tongue/reach. (How embarrassing.) The Ranger's bear and the Bard defeated the earth elemental. The Ranger, Druid and Monk defeated the water elemental. I didn't pay attention to the Cleric other than I know they cast bless. The Cleric was made by a new player and is equipped with a Dagger and Hand Crossbow, though well armored and with a shield. Lately they've been swinging a Great Axe recovered from a Gnoll... unproficient... missing a lot.

Exploring... room with lava. We discuss how Detect Magic isn't as handy as it has been. I jokingly try to tumble through the dungeon hoping to use my Acrobatics skill for initiative. (Nope) Constantly trying to pick the pockets of the Ranger? (Nope) Okay, perception. Fire and Air elementals. Druid casts electric arc, does 2 HP to each. Monk (MC Wizard) Ray of Frost hits Fire for 7 HP plus some vulnerability dmg. Bard put Magic Missile on the Fire elemental for 11 HP. Fire Elemental hits Monk twice; Monk is burning. Ranger shoots and scores several times. Cleric heals. Druid ... electric, no damage. Monk, Frost (miss), Flurry (hit once) Fire elemental dies (it should have been knocked out because Monk dmg is non-lethal, DM thinks that's dumb, so dead.) Monk is still burning. Elemental explodes and folks take damage. Air elemental hits cleric twice, who avoids falling off the ledge, twice. Ranger shoots air elemental which Disperses. We struggle to interpret the rules for Disperse for a few minutes. Its late and we skip the rules research and move on. Cleric makes Ranger bow magical via Magic Weapon. Druid becomes a giant toad and hits air elemental with his tongue, dmg 13. Monk, Frost (miss), rolling around reduces the persistent fire DC to 15, still burning. Bard, inspire courage and miss. Air elemental clobbers Druid (crit)... druid avoids falling and is barely conscious. Cleric heals Druid for a bunch. Druid (as toad) tongues the air elemental to death... whatever that means.

Its late, we're done.

Last edited:

Remove ads