Pathfinder 2E PF2E like D&D 4e?

Lackofname

Explorer
Abilities in pathfinder 2 are substantially and essentially different from one another. There are spells like Grease, Creation, Illusory Scene and Suggestion; utilities that can be used in unpredictable ways both in and out of combat.
The above was generally one of the issues I had with 4e, that it didn't have enough in the way of non-combat abilities, etc.

Thanks.

GreyLord

Legend
From what I've experienced it at this point, it is the most like 4e of all the RPGs designed like it, and the most UNLIKE 4e.

On the surface it seems a lot like 4e in the general approach. The ideas seem to be there, but the execution of them seems to bring it to a place that is very different than 4e.

I'd say 13th age feels MORE like 4e than PF2e, though PF2e looks a lot more like 4e.

It's hard to explain.

dave2008

Legend
That's a great writeup, thanks.

Unfortunately nearly everything in the "Contrasts" section turns me off. One of my biggest attraction to 4e was on the DMing side. Monster statblocks were small, they had unique rules/powers, building encounters/statblocks/etc was formulaic but fast, encounter budgets, etc. This doesn't sound like that. Also more conditions is not what I want to hear.
In PF2e building encounters is formulaic as well (possibly even more accurate than 4e in this respect).

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Though seriously, Pathfinder 1e, 2e and D&D 5e all have the "rules as written" encounter building to be about xp budget for the level :p They do it differently in practice, but all of them frame it that way

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases