D&D 5E PHB is #3 right now on "Amazon's Hot New Releases"

Alphastream

Adventurer
We have some historical references:

- OD&D released Jan 1974, 1,000 copies. Sold 400 by summer, all 1,000 in 11 months. The second print run of 2,000 sold in 4 months. (Source of this and a couple of other figures is the highly recommended book Of Dice and Men. Interesting to note that these initial sales of OD&D way back then are favorable when compared to the sales seen by small publishers in the present day.)

- In 1978 the AD&D Players Handbook sold 10,000 copies in first 3 months. (This is far stronger than most mid-size RPGs see in the same period of time in the current day. The highly successful Kickstarter for Numenera had 6,000+ physical orders, though exact numbers of core books aren't known from all sources in 2013. FATE Core and Accelerated had sold about 9,800 copies by Q2 2013 but over a longer time period (see their awesome quarterly reports). Dungeon World sold 2,600 sales both print and PDF in the first 5 months - see their web site for the figures.)

- Ryan Dancey on 1998 2E sales: "The one thing I can tell you is that when TSR did the transition from 1e to 2e in 1998, they sold 289,000 [2E] Player's Handbooks in 1998."

- But, the Acaeum says, in an article on print runs: "In 1989, TSR sold something like 1,000,000 copies of the D&D boxed set in one year. It was amazing." The article also estimates that in the 3E era they were selling "150,000 to 200,000 Players Handbooks per year".

- Marketing statistics, found in the 1992 TSR Catalog: "First-year release sales of the hardcover accessories average 170,000 units" (speaking of 2E AD&D hardcovers).

- "[3rd edition] was the most successful RPG published since the early years of 1st edition AD&D," Ryan Dancey said. "It outsold the core books of 2nd edition AD&D by a wide margin." "We sold 300,000 3e Players Handbooks in about 30 days. And the trajectory of the rest of the product line mimicked the PHB." - Ryan Dancey

- Of course, Dancey also says, "I have a confidential source who was one of the people making the decisions about strategy for D&D who confirmed to me that 3.5 was put into production because sales of 3.0 were "unsatisfactory". He says that 3.5 was always planned, but printed 2 years early because of those declining sales.

- Preorders for the core books of 4th edition of D&D in June 2008 were extremely strong and - without any hard sales numbers released by WoTC - anecdotal evidence from local game stores supported the claim that it sold much better than 3rd at launch. (My notes aren't clear, I think this came from Dancey as well)

- Very pertinent to what Mearls responded to me in that tweet, Dancey writes: "Then Wizards did it again with 4e. I have much less visibility into the 4e strategies than the 3.5e strategies but what I do know correlates very strongly with the idea that 3.5's "success" was brief - maybe more brief than the 3.0 window. Since 3.5 was essentially just a tune-up to 3.0, and it had not produced a result that was satisfactory, 4e had to be much much more than just 3.75 - logically you can't justify 3.75 if your goal is a substantially larger business than 3.5, since 3.5 didn't generate a substantially larger business than 3.0." He doesn't talk about Essentials, but looking at the way 4E changed approaches (dropping the initial "Power" series of books, releasing Essentials, etc.), it seems likely that the same issues were taking place with 4E as with 3E. (We can argue various edition-related differences, but it is honestly the same pattern regardless of one's personal preference for an edition over another).

Here's my take-away. D&D has a great history of ever-increasing initial sales. 5E continues that tradition, showing both the quality behind releases and the enormous strength of the brand. There is no question that 5E is flying off the shelves (both stores and online). Mearls saying that 5E is beating even the incredible initial 4E sales is not that surprising given how well players new and old are reacting to the edition. He notes that the key is sustainability. To date, no major RPG has figured out how to get an edition to keep selling without releasing tons of supplements that show ever-diminishing sales (because each supplement is of interest to only a smaller portion of the initial audience and is therefore less profitable). Diminishing sales eventually trigger a new edition. Avoiding diminishing returns and the need for a new edition is pretty much the holy grail for major RPGs.

One of the goals of 5E seems to be avoiding the need for another edition for a long time (in turn requiring sustained high sales). 5E doesn't approach this in a vacuum. There are many changes in how this D&D release is being approached. Where Dancey once talked about WotC's huge expensive staff compared to Paizo's, the reverse is now true. Many of the desired but not profitable products (minis, DM screens, etc.) are being licensed to other companies. There is also an attempt to compete with the larger entertainment space and to not focus much (at all?) on other RPGs as competitors. The argument goes that there are tons of customers for everyone if RPGs can successfully market outside its own space. This leaner D&D is still managing rave reviews and unparalleled quality, so it will be very interesting to see if 5E can keep sustained high sales longer than other editions and similar RPGs.

(I mention Dancey a lot, since he has shared a lot of information in the past. Like anyone else, he is wrong from time to time and his proclivity for sharing guarantees neither historical truth nor accurate forecasting of the future. Same goes for my perspectives - I've been wrong plenty of times too.)

Zardnaar

Legend
Do we have any figures? How many copies sold? Would like to see the numbers for the PHB, Pathfinder, 4E, etc.

Ithink Eric Mona did give some numbers for the 3.x series PHB.

3.0 500k
3.5 250-350k
Pathfinder 250k

I have seen 4E estimates of 50-100k but not sure how reliable they are.

Note Amazon did not really exist as such back in 2000 so that alone would put a huge spike in early sales. 4E by most accounts had a good launch but the bubble burst fast. As Mearls says you will know more around 1 year in with sales of follow on material as the collectors and curious are less likely to buy splats and adventures. That will likely give you a more accurate picture of how successful your edition is. They also claimed 4E outsold 3rd ed at launch as well and we all know how that went. So either WoTC is lying, putting some spin in it or modern D&D does outsell 3E but only in front loaded spikes in sales. I suspect the later myself due to things like Amazon. If they do outsell 3rd ed and sustain sales somewhat half decent we have a new silver age.

They may hit a fake gold age as well due to things like inflation and more expensive rule books. If the starter box can break a million in sales and a 5E adventure sells 250k+ and they break 50 million in sales you are looking at a new golden age. D&D peak was 27 million in sales apparently in 1982/83 dollars.

Zardnaar

Legend
We have some historical references:

- OD&D released Jan 1974, 1,000 copies. Sold 400 by summer, all 1,000 in 11 months. The second print run of 2,000 sold in 4 months. (Source of this and a couple of other figures is the highly recommended book Of Dice and Men. Interesting to note that these initial sales of OD&D way back then are favorable when compared to the sales seen by small publishers in the present day.)

- In 1978 the AD&D Players Handbook sold 10,000 copies in first 3 months. (This is far stronger than most mid-size RPGs see in the same period of time in the current day. The highly successful Kickstarter for Numenera had 6,000+ physical orders, though exact numbers of core books aren't known from all sources in 2013. FATE Core and Accelerated had sold about 9,800 copies by Q2 2013 but over a longer time period (see their awesome quarterly reports). Dungeon World sold 2,600 sales both print and PDF in the first 5 months - see their web site for the figures.)

- Ryan Dancey on 1998 2E sales: "The one thing I can tell you is that when TSR did the transition from 1e to 2e in 1998, they sold 289,000 [2E] Player's Handbooks in 1998."

- But, the Acaeum says, in an article on print runs: "In 1989, TSR sold something like 1,000,000 copies of the D&D boxed set in one year. It was amazing." The article also estimates that in the 3E era they were selling "150,000 to 200,000 Players Handbooks per year".

- Marketing statistics, found in the 1992 TSR Catalog: "First-year release sales of the hardcover accessories average 170,000 units" (speaking of 2E AD&D hardcovers).

- "[3rd edition] was the most successful RPG published since the early years of 1st edition AD&D," Ryan Dancey said. "It outsold the core books of 2nd edition AD&D by a wide margin." "We sold 300,000 3e Players Handbooks in about 30 days. And the trajectory of the rest of the product line mimicked the PHB." - Ryan Dancey

- Of course, Dancey also says, "I have a confidential source who was one of the people making the decisions about strategy for D&D who confirmed to me that 3.5 was put into production because sales of 3.0 were "unsatisfactory". He says that 3.5 was always planned, but printed 2 years early because of those declining sales.

- Preorders for the core books of 4th edition of D&D in June 2008 were extremely strong and - without any hard sales numbers released by WoTC - anecdotal evidence from local game stores supported the claim that it sold much better than 3rd at launch. (My notes aren't clear, I think this came from Dancey as well)

- Very pertinent to what Mearls responded to me in that tweet, Dancey writes: "Then Wizards did it again with 4e. I have much less visibility into the 4e strategies than the 3.5e strategies but what I do know correlates very strongly with the idea that 3.5's "success" was brief - maybe more brief than the 3.0 window. Since 3.5 was essentially just a tune-up to 3.0, and it had not produced a result that was satisfactory, 4e had to be much much more than just 3.75 - logically you can't justify 3.75 if your goal is a substantially larger business than 3.5, since 3.5 didn't generate a substantially larger business than 3.0." He doesn't talk about Essentials, but looking at the way 4E changed approaches (dropping the initial "Power" series of books, releasing Essentials, etc.), it seems likely that the same issues were taking place with 4E as with 3E. (We can argue various edition-related differences, but it is honestly the same pattern regardless of one's personal preference for an edition over another).

Here's my take-away. D&D has a great history of ever-increasing initial sales. 5E continues that tradition, showing both the quality behind releases and the enormous strength of the brand. There is no question that 5E is flying off the shelves (both stores and online). Mearls saying that 5E is beating even the incredible initial 4E sales is not that surprising given how well players new and old are reacting to the edition. He notes that the key is sustainability. To date, no major RPG has figured out how to get an edition to keep selling without releasing tons of supplements that show ever-diminishing sales (because each supplement is of interest to only a smaller portion of the initial audience and is therefore less profitable). Diminishing sales eventually trigger a new edition. Avoiding diminishing returns and the need for a new edition is pretty much the holy grail for major RPGs.

One of the goals of 5E seems to be avoiding the need for another edition for a long time (in turn requiring sustained high sales). 5E doesn't approach this in a vacuum. There are many changes in how this D&D release is being approached. Where Dancey once talked about WotC's huge expensive staff compared to Paizo's, the reverse is now true. Many of the desired but not profitable products (minis, DM screens, etc.) are being licensed to other companies. There is also an attempt to compete with the larger entertainment space and to not focus much (at all?) on other RPGs as competitors. The argument goes that there are tons of customers for everyone if RPGs can successfully market outside its own space. This leaner D&D is still managing rave reviews and unparalleled quality, so it will be very interesting to see if 5E can keep sustained high sales longer than other editions and similar RPGs.

(I mention Dancey a lot, since he has shared a lot of information in the past. Like anyone else, he is wrong from time to time and his proclivity for sharing guarantees neither historical truth nor accurate forecasting of the future. Same goes for my perspectives - I've been wrong plenty of times too.)

The 300 000 in a month thing for 3.0 has been thrown around a lot and seeing how 4E turned out and the same claim being made and now they are claiming 5E has been outselling 3E as well they are either telling porkies, spinning it or more likely since 1989 modern D&D gets huge sales spikes on release but once the existing fanbase has their fill the sales collapse dramatically.

If the 500 000k figures for 3.0 are accurate it means 60% of 3.0 sales came in the 1st month, that means a lean year in 20001/2002 and then they pulled 3.5 and 4E in rapid succession. WoTC probably got punch drunk and wants that high all the time hence rapid edition cycles and sub editions like 3.5 and essentials. Even the d20 Star Wars had 3 editions in 7 years under WoTC tenure. It ultimately blew up in their faces as the fanbase left enmasse for Pathfinder.

Pathfinder is more or less 14 years old now or at least 11 and that brings it back to the gap of 11 years from 2nd to 3rd ed. Seems the fanbase did not want a new edition in 2008 as 3.5 was kind of still new and had barely matured in around 2006 was the apex of 3.x design IMHO.

Alphastream

Adventurer
The 300 000 in a month thing for 3.0 has been thrown around a lot and seeing how 4E turned out and the same claim being made and now they are claiming 5E has been outselling 3E as well they are either telling porkies

The figures come from Dancey, who worked for Wizards and now works for Paizo/Goblinworks. Wizards of the Coast doesn't share its numbers, which completely keeps them from doing what you are accusing them of doing.

Moreover, we should be able to look at a company's sales without injecting edition wars into the equation. Very few industry people see the situation as Paizo vs D&D. Take a look at Gen Con: the biggest year yet for both Paizo and D&D organized play programs simultaneously. Most industry insiders say the best years come when D&D is huge and draws lots of interest to the hobby. It is entire possible, even likely, that Paizo and Wizards can both continue to grow. The only reason they would really need to worry is if either company produced shoddy games (not true) or if the size of the market was very insular (seems increasingly to not be true), or if their editions lose steam (still possible). Paizo and Wizards both make amazing products. Whether those products and their approaches can truly weather long editions remains to be seen. It's especially hard when we see very little information about the sales figures of lines over time. We don't know how the first Pathfinder supplement compares to the most recent, though it is likely that diminishing returns has to be there (because more recent supplements usually deal with a smaller space, rehash concepts, or are dealing with interesting but non-crucial elements). That both WotC and Paizo use different new techniques is great for the health of the industry overall. We will need new approaches if the hobby is to continue to provide us WotC and Paizo levels of quality for many decades.

The figures come from Dancey, who worked for Wizards and now works for Paizo/Goblinworks. Wizards of the Coast doesn't share its numbers, which completely keeps them from doing what you are accusing them of doing.

Moreover, we should be able to look at a company's sales without injecting edition wars into the equation. Very few industry people see the situation as Paizo vs D&D. Take a look at Gen Con: the biggest year yet for both Paizo and D&D organized play programs simultaneously. Most industry insiders say the best years come when D&D is huge and draws lots of interest to the hobby. It is entire possible, even likely, that Paizo and Wizards can both continue to grow. The only reason they would really need to worry is if either company produced shoddy games (not true) or if the size of the market was very insular (seems increasingly to not be true), or if their editions lose steam (still possible). Paizo and Wizards both make amazing products. Whether those products and their approaches can truly weather long editions remains to be seen. It's especially hard when we see very little information about the sales figures of lines over time. We don't know how the first Pathfinder supplement compares to the most recent, though it is likely that diminishing returns has to be there (because more recent supplements usually deal with a smaller space, rehash concepts, or are dealing with interesting but non-crucial elements). That both WotC and Paizo use different new techniques is great for the health of the industry overall. We will need new approaches if the hobby is to continue to provide us WotC and Paizo levels of quality for many decades.

Certainly what I've been reading seems to indicate that Paizo and WotC are aiming at the entertainment market as a whole, rather than trying to fight each other for an RPG pie.

That would definitely be a smart approach IMO.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The 300 000 in a month thing for 3.0 has been thrown around a lot and seeing how 4E turned out and the same claim being made

Funny how numbers are thrown around. The number I always saw thrown around was that the 1E PHB, albeit in print even up to and after the 2E PHB was released, sold around a million copies. And that 3E was the only edition to come close.

Again, as posted above, we know that 4E never got above 30 or so in terms of the amazon ranking. Normally hot selling RPGs, like the Pathfinder Core Rules, are generally in the 300-600 range. A supplement is lucky to hit 1000. Hitting number #1 (or 10 or 20) means an entirely different level of sales. The 5E PHB could have already sold more--through amazon, which is the caveat--then any RPG product has in years.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
One month later...(I mean after starting this thread) it has slipped a little:

#10/#16/#1.

But still pretty strong for an RPG book.

arjomanes

Explorer
I wonder what impact Christmas sales will have on the PHB. I think many groups have a PHB, but Christmas might end up with more copies in groups.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
In the interview with Dancy on the front page of ENWorld he says that the 2E PHB sold (about) 280,000 in its first year, and the 3E one sold 300,000 in its first month, and "it got better from there".

Remove ads