• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB, MM, DMG covers

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I like the art--I'm a WAR fan--but they just don't scream "RPG rulebook" to me.

Also, I'm still not sold on that logo. I hope they come out with something cooler and that's just a placeholder.

Klaus

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
The green dragon in the other WAR pic is too prominent for it to be the PHB cover. The monster's taking up much more space than the adventurers.

PHB cover should be player characters (and only player characters), at least one casting a spell. MM cover should feature monsters (duh!). DMG cover is a lot trickier. It could show what happens once the PCs kill the monsters, much like the 1e PHB cover, it could depict treasure or it could show a wide landscape with adventurers and monsters, but the world itself given most prominence, JRRT-style.
Well, the OD&D Erol Otus cover had a *green* dragon take up half the cover as well...

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
It's not just Erol Otus, mind you. Larry Elmore's picture on the Basic Set, the cover of the Rules Cyclopedia as well...and compared to the covers of the AD&D 2E PHB (the revised black one as well), or those faux tome looks that inspire mystery, but not adventure, the cover JVis put together actually SCREAMS Dungeons & Dragons in a good way. I'd still prefer a similar scene from Lockwood, but tastes are nothing to be argued about. The motif, though, is definitely something that fits on a D&D PHB...a group of adventurers confronting a dragon in the bowels of an underground dungeon.

I just wish that dragon didn't have that weird spike on its nose...a beak I could stomach, but a spike? I hope we're not going from "spiky armor look" to "spiky natural armor look" as the next source of derogatories for an edition not yet published. :lol:

The Merciful

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
The green dragon in the other WAR pic is too prominent for it to be the PHB cover. The monster's taking up much more space than the adventurers.
Nothing wrong with that. The main point of an adventure is to vanguish enemies and overcome obstacles. Navel casing isn't very adventurous. For that reason, as well as fond memories of Metzen edition D&D boxes, I'm all for prominent mosnters in PHB. ;)

As for the preview versions of 4th edition covers, the artwork lacks severily in color - it is so grey. Just for that alone reason I like mock up with the green dragon much better. And then there are the other reasons others have already stated.

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
Klaus said:
Well, the OD&D Erol Otus cover had a *green* dragon take up half the cover as well...
That picture is amazing, the best D&D cover ever imo, but it's for a complete game so it's right that it should show all aspects of the game - adventurers, monster, confrontation, dungeon, treasure. I feel the PHB should just show the adventurers. The cover needs to be, in a sense, incomplete. Otoh I'm not sure if the PCs posing makes for the most striking image.

The Merciful

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
That picture is amazing, the best D&D cover ever imo, but it's for a complete game so it's right that it should show all aspects of the game - adventurers, monster, confrontation, dungeon, treasure. I feel the PHB should just show the adventurers. The cover needs to be, in a sense, incomplete. Otoh I'm not sure if the PCs posing makes for the most striking image.
Well, PHB is the face for the full game - especially for the players. DMG and monster manuals are for the DM.

John Drake

First Post
The covers shown by the presentation at Gen Con, imho are big steaming piles of dung and plates of braised pus. But this one posted by JVisgaitis, was very good, despite the fact I am not fan of the artist. Very good layout and all that jazz.

Doug McCrae

Legend
For comparison, here are the covers of previous PHBs.

ddvol1.jpg

phb_1st_SA.jpg
phb_v1_10th_s.jpg

phb_2nd_AD&D.jpg
phb_addv2_s.jpg

phb.jpg
WOTC_PHB_35.jpg

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
I suppose there's no need to point out that the other half of editions heavily featured adventurers that confronted dragons, who were prominently displayed on the covers? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads