• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB2 Races = Mos Eisley Cantina

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
It looks like a terrible space fantasy for little kids!

When did Spelljammer become the default game world!

It's just so RIDICULOUS! It's like the Mos Eisley Cantina threw up all over the D&D universe.

I wish these designers would ease back on the cheese throttle.

Its always hard when you find out that you are no longer the target demographic of your favorite hobby. Pathfinder is here with waiting arms. Hopefully you can find a place there like myself and so many others have.

twilsemail

First Post
I feel the same way about the 1e Fiend Folio --and parts of the Monster Manual. Except replace 'terrible' with 'crudely awesome'.

For about 35 years now.

Hear, hear.

When I started reading this thread, and the line about "Space fantasy" in particular, I started thinking back to the books that've been sitting on my shelves/gaming table for the past couple of decades. All I can really ask is, "Is this supposed to be something new?" I mean there's always been a touch of space fantasy to D&D, at least for the 20-some years I've been playing. Heck, look at the Githyanki and Githzerai.

Sarck

First Post
I am looking at the PHB II right now and I really have to work to feel even slightly distasteful towards the page mentioned by the OP. Respectfully, I think the OP needs to learn to use less hyperbole. It's in no way a terrible book, and the new races are intended to be exotic.

Firstly, OP, you say a tavern looking like Mos Eisley is a BAD thing? Think of it in context. Luke goes from living on a farm and dealing with maybe the odd alien once or twice (similar to seeing a few tieflings or dragonborn in town) into a major, exotic spaceport where cultures and peoples mix. It's like taking your human/elf/dwarf 1st level character from their home town to a major seaport and ducking into an inn, introducing them to the myriad fantastical creatures and cultures that spread throughout the greater realm (and the planes). It added a bit of mystery and wonder to the universe that Luke lived in, and it'll do the same for your characters.

Secondly... so variety is bad, in your opinion? And apparently the art is not to your liking? Then ignore the art (are you going to cut out the page and stick it on the gametable? No? Then you can feel safe in rarely ever seeing it again) and limit the races by talking with the DM or using DM-power. PRESTO CHANGE-O, magically you are now able to play with blinders and see only the more traditional races. It'll be like playing 3.x, but streamlined!

Finally, I'd just like to add that while it may be fun to jump on the nearest bandwagon and scream along with the guys at the gameshop about how terrible something or another is, if you'll just look for yourself and actually think about what you're seeing... maybe you'll reconsider getting online immediately and posting about how _____ sucks/destroys all your hopes, dreams and fanciful memories. "THIS is Dungeons & Dragons", eh? No. Dungeons & Dragons is whatever you and your gaming group make it. This is just a book to give some rules for new races and classes. Your childhood memories are safe from those terrible game designers who want to innovate and maybe even make some money for their effort. They can't force you to play the game by their rules.

Don't panic. Just enjoy what you want and look for the positive, rather than whinge about the negative. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking that's good advice. Oh well.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
The dragonborn is just too monstrous to really "fit in" a casual social gathering at a pub or a fancy dress party. This is especially problematic for romance subplots. While all the other PC races are near-human enough to be able to kiss and be relatively assured that they have the proper parts, dragonborn can only really have romance subplots with other dragonborn.

The internet in general disagrees with you. Weirder things can be found online.

:)

But seriously, dragonborn have been described (in the Ecology of the Dragonborn article) as seeing mating/reproducing as a purely mechanical activity, not as a romantic endeavour. So it's quite possible for a dragonborn to mate with another dragonborn for some egg-laying, and still have a platonic romance (Beauty & The Beast-style) with, say, a human.

As for tieflings, they are descendants of evil humans, and their appearance is a testimony of what happens when you make deals with the devils. Some will shun them with prejudice, some will pity them, others will embrace them to demonstrate that not everyone judges a person by their appearance/family history.

frankthedm

First Post
Mad Zagyg said:
It's just so RIDICULOUS! It's like the Mos Eisley Cantina threw up all over the D&D universe.

I wish these designers would ease back on the cheese throttle.
Its always hard when you find out that you are no longer the target demographic of your favorite hobby. Pathfinder is here with waiting arms. Hopefully you can find a place there like myself and so many others have.
Pathfinder? Nah, come on over to WFRP and burn those mutants at the stake!
ferratus said:
I just can't get over the whole "sure you're descended from ultimate evil who betrayed the gods who provide us succor and seek to enslave us and suck out all of our souls to fuel their war against goodness itself, but you've been our neighbours for awhile now so we know you're good people" backstory for tieflings. They just shouldn't be common inhabitants of most small towns, with one operating your local general store in Winterhaven. It really takes the vinegar out of what made tieflings cool in the first place, namely that they're a bad seed.
Sadly Wotc does not want to encourage freakish PCs being lynched, stoned, drowned or Burned at the stake by angry mobs. I heartily recommend it however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads