• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB3 In Hand...

BlindGeekUK

First Post
So... PHB3 comes out on the 16th, with games day on the 20th. However, Wizards are trying out a promotion whereby uk stores get it early... I can attest to this...

Theres not much we don't know about... The only real surprise - 'superior implements' - seems to Wizards way of addressing the diference with implements lacking a proficiency stat

Races:

Nothing new or surprising with the exception of the Shardmind, and most of that we'd heard about. +2 int, +2 wis or cha. Common, Deep Speech, plus one other language. +2 arcana, +2 endurance, +2 to another skill. Telepathy, resist 5 psychic, living construct, immortal origin, and the shard swarm racial power.

Classes:

Ardent - the psionic leader. I can't remember which build they've previewed so...
Mantle of clarity - you and an ally within 5 squares gains a bonus (wis modifier) to defenses against opportunity attack. Each ally in 5 squares gains +2 insight and perception, and you get ardent alacrity, which is a encounter power triggered when bloodied, allowing allies in burst 5 to move.
Mantle of elation - you and an ally within 5 squares gains a bonus (cons modifier) to damage for opportunity attack. Each ally in 5 squares gains +2 diplomacy and intimidate, and you get ardent outrage, which is a encounter power triggered when bloodied, causing enemies in burst 5 to grant combat advantage.

Battlemind - psionic defender, the two build options are:
Battle Resilience - encounter power triggered when you are first attacked, giving you 3+wis mod resistance to all damage until the end of your next turn
Speed of Thought - encounter power triggered on initiative rolling, that lets you move 3+cha mod squares even if surprised.

Monk - psionic striker, build options are:
Centered Breath - deal 2+wis mod damage to one adjacent enemy when you hit, slide the target 1 square (must be adjacent to you if its the original target, any direction otherwise). +1 fortitude
Stone Fist - deal 3+str mod damage to one adjacent enemy when you hit (+2 damage if its not the original target). +1 will

Psion - psionic controller, builds are:
Telekinetic Focus - gain far hand encounter power (a poor mans mage hand) and forceful push encounter power (slide one target 1 square in range 10)
Telepathic Focus - gain distract encounter power (one target in ranged 10 grants combat advantage to its next attacker) and send thoughts encounter power (mental communication in range 20)

Runepriest - divine leader
A new class that we've only seen via the PHB3 games day pre-gens. Looks like its actually a leader that can survive in combat thanks to its focus on str,cons and wis, and it gets all armours up to scale and light shield as well. 12+cons hp at first level, 5 hp a level thereafter, 7+cons mod surges.
It gets the rune master class feature, whereby it can decide, before making an attack whether to activate the rune of destruction or the rune of protection. This gives you benefit listed on the power AND a base benefit. For destruction this is allies gain +1 to attacking enemies adjacent to you. For protection this gives adjacent allies resist 2 to all damage.
They gain the rune of mending power, a typical leaders healing power. This doesn't give additional hp until 6th level, but is this is made up for by the fact that theres a rider based on the rune... For destruction, you and each ally in the burst do +2 damage. For protection, you and each ally in the burst gain +1 to all defenses.

Finally, the two builds are:
Defiant Word - when an enemy misses you, you gain a bonus (wis mod) to damage against the enemy that missed you, until the end of your next turn.
Wrathful Hammer - you gain proficiency with hammers and maces. When you take damage, you gain a bonus (cons mod) to damage against that enemy until the end of your next turn.

Seeker - primal controller... a ranger that shoots insects instead of arrows... boths builds have been hinted at, but here they are:
Bloodbond - you can shift as a minor action when not wearing heavy armour, and you get encaging spirits encounter power, a minor action, close burst 1 that pushes all enemies in the burst 1 square and slows them until the end of your next turn
Spiritbound - you gain +1 to attacks with thrown weapons (i see a hybrid maruder ranger/seeker coming...), thrown weapons return to your hand (if your proficient with them), and you use strength rather than dex/int to work out your AC. You also gain the encounter power spirtis rebuke, an immediate reaction triggered when you are missed in melee, it does 1W+str damage and you push the attacker 1 square. Note, theres no attack line on that...

Hybrid's we've seen already...

There seems to be more skill powers than in the D&DI exclusive.

Feats... Holy moly, theres tons of them... new power swap feats for the psionic classes, and a tidy up of paragon multiclassing.

Superior Implements, these were a nice surprise, but on deeper read... hmm... These are advanced version of a basic implement, so good for level 1 characters only (thus ideal for D&D Encounters...) You can enchant them if you've got the ritual and thus make them into a magic item. You need to take a feat to benefit from them. Each implement (except tomes) has 4 options, and most of those have 2 properties.
Properties can be Accurate (+1 to hit), Deadly (+1 damage), Distant (range increases by 2), Empowered Crit (+1d10 damage on a crit), Energized (+2 damage if the keyword matches), Forceful (forced movement increases by 1), Shielding (+1 AC and reflex until start of next turn if you hit), Undeniable (+! to hit vs Will), Unerring (+1 to hit vs reflex), Unstoppable (+1 to hit vs fortitude).

Lots of new, psionic based magic items

kmdietri

Explorer
Hi, can you answer me a quick question?

Can you tell me if the Seeker At-Will attack Thorn Cloud Shot has an effect line?

Or if the Zone portion of the power still occurs after a hit?

Thanks

Baumi

Adventurer
You mentioned that all but Implements except Tomes got 4 Options. Are they forgoten or do they just have another number of Options?

Also are these Options fixed or generic (like you can choose your Energy Type for Energiced)?

Felon

First Post
A listing of all Superior Implements. Tomes lack an Accurate option.
No listing of staves.

If the damage bonuses are just flat and unscaling, then that's pretty weak. Just going from I what I'm seeing here, this isn't bringing implements into the realm of badassitude offered by fullblades (+1 to hit, d12 damage, +1d12 on crits), mordenkrads (2d6 damage, brutal 1) and executioner axes (d12 damage, +1d12 on crits, brutal 2).

Baumi

Adventurer
No listing of staves.

If the damage bonuses are just flat and unscaling, then that's pretty weak. Just going from I what I'm seeing here, this isn't bringing implements into the realm of badassitude offered by fullblades (+1 to hit, d12 damage, +1d12 on crits), mordenkrads (2d6 damage, brutal 1) and executioner axes (d12 damage, +1d12 on crits, brutal 2).

The Staves are in another post (see my link above).

I have read in another Tread that the damage-bonuses scale per Tier.

erf_beto

First Post
About the runepriest's runes, how do you activate/switch between them? Is it "whenever you use a runepriest attack power"? Or do you have to use a minor action to draw and it stays in effect until the end of encounter or next turn...?

1of3

Explorer
Runepriest - divine leader

Very interesting, thank you.

Could you tell us a little about the fluff? So they use runes, but why do these runes allow for tapping the divine? How do the other divine classes view these guys? Is there an origin story for this trade?

I think, with the other divine classes they made quite a nice job, with the fluff. I'm interested how these guys will turn out.

Thanks in advance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads