PHDungeons Nentir Vale homebrew

PHDungeon

First Post
Session 10: Heart of Steal

I have arrived home successful, my reputation in Starke’s eyes growing. Until this moment I would have been uncertain, but now I know that I am quickly becoming an asset to Victor and not merely a novelty. The time for the two bit jobs is over, Starke will now trust me with the big jobs, and he’ll never disrespect me like he would any other woman. He is exactly where I want him, and all it took was delivering him a glorified sword (the warforged).

As suspected there were other interested parties in the package. When Zeech foolishly paraded it to his palace they saw their opportunity. Some kind of tiefling sorcerer and a band of mercenaries attacked the parade, blasting the guards with fire magic and alchemy, immediately sewing mass panic in the crowd of onlookers. Among the mercenaries, two stood out from the flock. They were cloaked in shadow and moved with deadly grace- in all likelihood trained assassins, the kind that trade a portion of their souls for dark power to make them more deadly killers.

These attackers quickly closed in, bursting out from the crowds. Some of the mercenaries attempted to finish off the distracted and wounded guards, while others moved directly towards the wagon, presumably in an attempt to free the warforged. We used their attack as a distraction, closing in around the construct and bolstering the ineffectual city guard. We were careful not attack the guards and focus on the mercenaries, but Zeech’s guards didn’t know what was going on and saw us all as enemies. Darren and I both jumped into the wagon that held the cage containing the warforged. There we battled the mercenaries that were attempting to either free of the warforged or steal the wagon. Unfortunately, the sorcerer’s initial fireball had spooked the horses, and we were only barely able to leap aboard before they jolted forward and charged down the street towards the market trampling several of the scorched guards that had led the procession. It was chaos. A few mercenaries were on the wagon, and Darren and I were locked in a three-way fight with them and the wagon driver and his guard. Furthermore, the tiefling was still hurling spells at us. At some point, I was hit by a flask of alchemist’s acid, which caused me great agony as it seared my flesh. Torfinn tried to help by hurling spells from the sidelines, and somehow Deryl managed to get up on a rooftop where she too tossed spells down at our foes. I also recall one of the assassins suddenly appearing in the back of the wagon. It was as though he’d materialized out of nowhere. He and Darren faced off, and I tried support Androsax, by putting a few bolts into the bastard. Unfortunately, when the assassin first appeared he wasn’t fully tangible, and my bolts near passed through him, causing much less damage than they normally would have. Luckily, Darren’s swordsmanship served him well, and I was impressed to see that he managed to parry most of the assassin’s attacks.

The wagon careened onward, and the sorcerer and the second of his assassin hirelings chased after the out of control wagon. Mighty Bjorn hurried after them, while the remainder of the tiefling’s mercenaries were delayed by a running battle with the surviving members of the wagon’s guard. Fighting on the wagon was a challenge. It jostled about and made it difficult to load and aim Touch of Death, but it became more so when one of Torffin’s spells stunned the horses causing them to fall forward into the dirt. The wagon came crashing to a halt, and the cage that held the warforged was flung off. Both Darren and fell down, but at least we stayed in the wagon, unlike the majority of our enemies. The events are now a blur. One of the mercenaries managed to make it to cage. He used some sort of alchemical acid to weaken the lock, and the warforged was able to kick open the door. The tiefling had been badly wounded, and I suspect he was contemplating retreat. He should have done so. Instead, seeing his prize was free, he cast a spell that took control of the warforged. However, before he was able to make off with it, I put a bolt into his hellspawned head. The construct snapped free of his charm, and panicked. It bolted, plowing through the crowds and running off into the city. By this time reinforcements from the city guard had organized were closing in. They were ready to arrest us despite the fact that we had not fired a single shot at them. Not knowing how this would eventually play out, we still restrained ourselves from attacking them. I leapt out of the cart ran after the construct.

It was easy enough to keep in my sights for it plowed its way through the crowds that thronged the market, leaving a trail of screaming civilians behind. Where it relied on force, I relied on agility, and I wove my way among the throngs with grace. I soon realized the Darren was also chasing the thing, but it seemed that we’d left the rest of our companions behind. A squad of city guard was in turn pursuing us, but they could not keep up with their armor and shields slowing them. The sprint was tiring, but I was doing well. We made it out of the market, but then I came upon a wall. It was a new section of city wall that was under construction, apparently an attempt to seal the noble quarter off from the main part of the city. Several stories of wooden scaffolding lined the incomplete wall. The warforged had already begun to climb up. I don’t know where he thought he’d go, but I could do nothing but continue the pursuit. At this point, Androsax overtook me, and he made a backhand comment, as he used his great strength to haul himself up the scaffold with ease. I clumsily climbed up after them, fueled by my embarrassment that the fool could over shadow me in anything. The package was not far ahead of us, and we had reached one the uppermost section of scaffolding.

I watched as Derren chased after our quarry along the planks and leapt between a gap that separated one section of scaffold from another. The earlier humiliation of the climb was still burning in my mind, and I jumped after him. Unfortunately, my leap fell short, but I managed to catch onto the second level of scaffold. I cursed my body’s failing energies and made my mistake as gracefully as I could. Then I hauled myself back onto the scaffold and continued the chase. I hazarded a glance back over my shoulder to see if any of the guards were still on our tails. One of them, the commander I believe, had managed to keep up better than I had thought, and I was just in time to see him attempt the gap. He was wearing heavy armor. I think he realized what a bad idea it was and tried to change his mind at the last second, but by then it was too late. He had already stepped forward. He plummeted to the ground far below where he landed on a pile of bricks. I shook my head and hurried after my quarry.

Finally, I was able to catch up with Derren and the package. I couldn’t see them clearly because they were directly above me and the planks blocked my view. However, I could hear the boards groaning under their weight, and it was clear that they were locked in a grappling match. Instead of trying to get up to their level, I decided I might try to reason with the thing from below. The ancient war machines of the Bael Turath empire were said to have had a facsimile of sentience, like talking dogs. I called out to him, making him aware of the situation. The guards had surrounded us down below, and it was only a matter of time before they made their way up or took us down with arrows. I explained this situation to him, and told him that we would be able to teleport him to safety with the ritual I carried with me. We were his best shot of getting out of the city. I tried to convince him of this and hoped that he would come quietly. Luckily, he was listening and he believed me. I don’t think he fully trusted me, but I at least had convinced him to let us help him try to escape. The three of us climbed up onto the top of a newly built section of the wall. They hadn’t completely filled it in yet, and their was a shallow trench running down its center that we were able to take shelter in. There I pulled out my scroll and began the ritual that would take us back to Grimsburg.

Derren attempted to lead our pursuers away, and he was able to for the most part but too many had seen us. I was moments away from completing the ritual when they closed in on us. Derren proved his worth here; his fighting far outweighs his skill in diplomacy. He held his ground against three fully trained soldiers and none passed him to disrupt my casting. The machine also helped, apparently convinced of our intentions from watching our bounding fighter.

It took all my concentration but with one last deft stroke I completed the circle and a tear opened in front of me and within I could see the basement of Starke’s bar in Grimsburg. It spluttered, the connection unstable and I knew it would close in just a couple seconds. It was my first ritual, I was overjoyed to see it work, especially under these conditions. Screaming out to the construct I dove into the rift, and it followed me. Then it closed. Darren and my companions had been left behind. In a way I was glad because it gave Zeech’s men no chance to follow us, but I hoped that Darren would be able to away.

We had taken advantage of the situation and had escaped with Zeech’s prize. I would have felt proud of myself if I hadn’t seen a flaw in the plan. Here I was, a soft fleshy humanoid in a room, alone with a giant, metal, man shaped machine built solely for the purpose of killing people. I continued to try to keep the warforged calm. I called one of Victor’s henchmen down to the basement where we had arrived. I immediately sent him to fetch Victor, for he alone would be strong enough to subdue the thing. I waited, remaining in the room with the deadly machine.

I had seen the way my companions had looked at the captive construct, and I was glad I had been able to still deliver him to Grimsburg. They did not understand these things as I did. This was not a person, and it was not truly conscious. It had not been born but built, and it had only been built for one purpose: to kill.

It looked at me with menace in its eyes, and in a cold, lifeless voice showed me his restraints. It asked for me to release its hands as a show of good faith. Being alone with the weapon, I didn’t see any other choice but to undo his bonds, or I truly believe it would have tried to kill me. It had already demonstrated that it was plenty deadly even with restraints. I reasoned that it was the only way to hold him here and that Victor could handle him once he arrived.

Unfortunately Victor sent men, and the first words out of one of their idiot mouths were “We’re here to pick up the prisoner”- it was like Derren had joined me. The construct went from docile to dangerous in an instant, and all his rage was centered on me, his betrayer. Knowing a losing battle when I saw one, I dove out of the room and raced up the stairs. It slashed me across the back with a serrated gauntlet as I fled, but I managed to get away. I then sent all of Victor’s men from upstairs down to re-enforce the fools below. I could hear the sounds of the battle as I left the bar. I later learned that it had cost six of his men, but Victor had his warforged.

In a week or so Derren and company would return. In the meantime, I relaxed in my workshop pouring over archaic texts. The strangest thing was starting to happen. The books were mostly Draconic and sometimes, without looking it up, I was starting to understand the words, even how they were spoken. I wasn’t learning them; they were just showing up in my head. It was in one of these ancient texts that I found the Mark. The book I found was not complete and it did not give me much information. It is a mark of prophecy, one of many. This particular mark translated as the mark of the scribe, showing up on great writers and diplomats. As I am neither I continue to search through the libraries for more information; I need to find out why this mark is on me and more importantly how to get rid of it. As it continues to darken against my skin my fear grows.

PHDungeon

First Post
The journal above was Bella's journal from session 10. We are currently taking a little break, and one of my players is running a short game, while I regroup and prepare more material. We should be back at this game the weekend of the 21st. At that point Bjorn, Bella and Darren will be at 5th level and Torfinn and Deryl will be at 4th.

They will be back in Grimsburg, and their plan is head back up the Nentir river and into the Vale once again.

PHDungeon

First Post
Dear Corvin,

Today I set sail with Deryl, Bjorn and Torfinn out of Alhaster and back towards Grimsburg. Bella has magicked her way ahead of us, her mission complete. I am glad to be leaving, for it is a miserable place. Their ruler Zeech is a queer and unpleasant man, prone to tyranny and vanity in equal measure. It will be good to walk through the birded streets of Grimsburg, look upon Brianna again and return to the Vale.

After the auction, we wisely followed the parade from the Kanzaki house to Zeech’s palace. A band consisting of a tiefling warlock and assassins tried to take the warforged, but they were outmatched by the guard and our quick thinking. The construct escaped, and part of me wished to let it go – so living it seemed. But Bella was determined to be the loyal lackey, as always, and the two of us gave hot pursuit. I love it when women run with men: their faces flushed, their breathing hard. Bella attempted to scale some scaffolding, and then I overtook her. At that point I contemplated helping the machine-man find freedom, but my companion was never far behind. With reservation and a sinking feeling, I held off the guard long enough for Bella to escape with her prize. I hate the compromises we must endure, dear brother, to see our noble plan come to fruition. Still, Bella’s dogged determination and doglike loyalty will make her a steadfast subject one day of our small kingdom.

Your brother,

Derren

Ode to Brianna:
Curls of brown like the leather tome,
White the face of parchment: the world of words is home.
Black the eyes entrapping, like the ink of new-made mapping
I wish to be a page of your diary; a name to thoughts untiring,
Like a lonely scholar’s love.

PHDungeon

First Post
A quick journal from Bella...

I watch my final opponent from the safety of my hiding place. Just moments ago he had passed so close to me that I could smell the sweat off his stinking body. His breath came to him in ragged gasps and his eyes darted everywhere. He was hunting desperately for me, but he was angry, infuriated by his own impotence. He had yet to realize that he was already dead but I could see in his eyes that he had come to believe it.

This section of Grimsburg was deserted and Victor posted sentries and paid off the town guard to make sure it stayed that way. He used this area as a training ground, an urban jungle used to keep his employees skills sharp and to learn of their capabilities. Unfortunately these buffoons were hardly qualified as capable.

As soon as the game had begun I let the cold embrace of the shadows shelter me from prying eyes. From the safety of my cocoon I sent my familiar Cullen out into the night, seeking my unwitting prey. Cullen had easily found his two other companions and had relayed their positions to me. It had been too simple to quickly close in on them and take them out of play, then dart back into hiding. This nameless minion was the last. Raising my crossbow I took my shot.

With an anticlimactic grunt he fell quietly in a heap. Thanks to Victor’s special bolts none of them were truly dead, only unconscious, lucky for them. Hopefully when they woke up they would have more respect for women in the organization. Starke may be chauvinistic, but he isn’t blind or stupid.

These men had been new to the guild and since I had been away had never met me. Unfortunately they had also been in the room when I entered to report to Victor and had felt the need to make a few colourful remarks on my competency. With a wry smile this little exercise had been Starke’s suggestion. The idiots had accepted the “challenge” eagerly.

Hardly satisfied I sauntered from the shadows. Passing by my final victim I feel Cullen land on my shoulders. Standing over his body I look up into the sky and hopefully into Victor’s scrying eyes.

“Thank-you for this opportunity to show your new men what a woman is capable of Victor, if you need me for any other lessons I shall be in my room as usual.”

As I waited for Bjorn to return the down time has enabled me to continue my arcane studies. Leaving the mystery of my mark alone I have started concentrating on Flagg’s captured ritual book in earnest. I had recently acquired some amber and had thought to increase my weapons ascetics with jeweled eyes. Unfortunately anything that catches the light on an assassins weapon is a death sentence so instead I pour over the cryptic cursive text of my fallen enemy in a hope to unlock the mysteries of enchantment. The work is difficult, challenging and far more rewarding then teaching these gentlemen manners.

PHDungeon

First Post
A rare journal from Deryl Androsax regarding her activities since returning to Grimsburg from Ahlastar.

Since her return home Deryl has been restless and given to agitated ramblings; the word you catch most frequently whispered to herself seems more a question… “Where?” While the party has always thought the child-sorceress 'strange' this behavior does seem out of character...

On the third night home Derren awakes in the night with a sense of foreboding heavy upon him...he hears slow, shuffled footsteps in the hallway outside his room.

He finds Deryl making her way down the hall like a mad, blind woman; muttering to herself in a mixture of common and the sorcerer’s cant she uses during only the most strenuous of arcane feats. With one hand grasping and clutching before her, her second hand claws along the corridor halls.

Derren makes to grab his sister; she is hot to the touch, feverish and slick with sweat. He realizes then that she is asleep, in some sort of trance and moving like one possessed. He hesitates in his attempt to restrain her and Deryl turns to face him. As she ‘looks’ up at her brother he notes that her eyes are open and the irises shift left and right in rapid succession. She claws her hand in front of her chest, twists her ‘clawed’ hand to face out from her and goes through the motion of ‘pushing’ outward…it is an ancient gesture meant to ward off evil. Derren registers blood on her hand and realizes that where she has been groping along the wall, she has done so with enough urgency and force to bloody the tips of her fingers.

Satisfied somehow, she resumes her ‘journey’…without turning around she continues walking, backwards.

It takes a moment for Derren to collect his wits and some deep, purposeful breaths to slow his heartbeat. Concern etched deeply in his face he follows cautiously behind his sister. Her movement remains slow and searching as if she had no familiarity with the building, but she eventually makes her way to the main room. The last of the fire still burns in the fireplace and shadows dance along the walls as it flickers. For a moment Derren worries that Deryl will exit the house but she makes her way, groping and muttering still, towards the fireplace.

A tendril of emotion, fascination perhaps, mixes with the sense of foreboding and her brother watches her progress towards the fire; realizing too late that she is headed directly for the fire itself! Fraternal instinct finally kicks in and he calls out. His muscles coil and tense, preparing to react…when he finds himself suddenly plunged into complete darkness. He fears some sort of magical darkness, so complete is it, but slowly his eyes begin to adapt.

Deryl is in the fireplace, crouched down and appears to be digging through the ashes and remains of the fire pit. Even as he registers this he is moving toward her…fearing for the burns she must be enduring, amazed that she isn’t crying out in pain.

And then it registers: no heat radiates from the fireplace, the fire and embers have been completely snuffed out. Deryl doesn’t even register her brother’s nearness. Not for one second has she ceased digging around in the ashes.

Panic renders Derren immobile and he watches in curious horror. No longer is Deryl digging through the ashes. Instead she appears to be tracing runes in the soot. The sorcerer’s cant is now deep and guttural, inhuman even. She is sweating profusely and swaying to the silent rhythm of her magic working.

Quite suddenly it is over, the cant ceases and Deryl becomes still. The silence lasts only a moment. Derren hears, and feels, the stonework shift beneath him. A piece of the fireplace stone inlay shifts up and out of is ‘place’ with the grinding mechanic similar to a long disused door. From beneath the stone a soft light, like the earliest tendril of sunlight just before dawn, suffuses the fireplace. Deryl reaches into the cavity and withdraws…a dagger!! Cradling it in her hand she traces the flat of the blade with her finger. To Derren it seems she is reading something, tracing outlines and mouthing silently, but he sees no rune work.

Derren doesn’t catch the next words on Deryl’s lips but they are more of that arcane language. Faster than he’s seen his sister move before, she scores the palm of her hand with the blade, drawing blood. Holding the bloodied blade before her it becomes sheathed in flame.

Looking from the blade to his sister’s face Derren realizes that Deryl is staring back at him with an unnerving focus.

“Mine” is all she says before rising and making her exit, leaving a stupefied Derren in the ashes of the fireplace.

PHDungeon

First Post
A few quotes regarding what Darren's been up to since returning to Grimsburg.

"I seen him, round the ol' Boarshead, like before - only he's so much more serious. I e'en saw him swearing off whorin' and fightin' one night. Says to old Mirelda he's in love."

- Labradare Fox, Veteran

"Derren? The second Androsax? Good looking? Not as bright as Corvin? Yeah. Say what you will for the eldest, but young Derren's been spedning a lot of time around Skaldsholm. Even perusing the old bookshops in Velmarket street. Says he's looking for stories of the Templars, heretical orders of knights. Maybe he's got more than a strong sword arm, after all."

- Micerkin, parchment maker

"Master ... the Androsax boy has been around again. He even roughed up Glazy when he muttered someting about the Eye. We have to be careful. Rumour is, they found something in the Vale."

Overheard in the Velvet Taproom

"What's wrong? See this bruise? It was that arrogant pup Derren. he takes off with his sister, all high and mighty about exploring the Vale. Doesn't pay his acadamy fees, doesn't cancel his sword classes. Then out of nowhere, he returns, wanting to spar. I mention something about his family debt, and he plonks a sack of gold on the table. 'This shoul make up for it' he says, a little too smugly. So we have at it, and the next think I know, the footman, the prince and myself are all sprawling on the ground. it was the light, you know. Caught me at a bad angle."

- Rix Seven-fingers, Fencing Instructor

"So this young man, maybe eighteen, built like an ox, comes in asking for ink. I say to him 'Where do you want it, baby?' and he takes off his shirt. Scarred, burned and rippling with muscle, he points to his back and says 'Right here', slamming a parchment on the table. Its like this giant hammer wreathed in a sunburst. The parchment looks like its been torn out of a book. He has fresh cuts on his arm. He wags his coin purse, and honey, I don't ask anymore questions."

- Shemastra, Tattoo Artist

PHDungeon

First Post
A few quick missive's from Bjorn since his return to Grimsburg...

Belladonna Nightshade,

I hope this missive finds you well. We are back in Grimsburg having arrived on the morning tide. If you are free this evening please meet me at the Raider's Maiden, so that we may relate the events after your departure from Alhaster.

Yours in Thor
Bjorn

Jarl Surtur,

Shortly after arriving back in Grimsburg we got in contact with Bella, and I can confirm that Victor Starke has possession of the Warforged. Unfortunately Starke is very paranoid and I cannot get closer to him as regards this project. I am happy to pass along what information I can but my strengths do not naturally run toward espionage. I will seek more information from Bella who seems to have a greater contact and access to Starke and pass along what I find out. If the time comes for direct confrontation with Starke know I will lend my support in full. In the meantime we plan to head north again to see what we can do about the continuing Orc problem.

Respectfully
Bjorn Thorskirk

Jarl Surtur,

I have received your most generous gift and thank you wholeheartedly. I will endeavour to bring honour to it. It also occurred to me that the Scarlet Stone Academy had sent representatives to the auction to bid on the warforged. They would probably be most interested to know that Starke had possession of it. There is the possibility of pitting the two factions against each other to your benefit.

Respectfully
Bjorn Thorskirk

(Jarl Surtur's generous gift is a suit of +2 veteran's chain mail).

We are back to this game today.

PHDungeon

First Post
Game Session #11

Darren Androsax (human, fighter 5)
Deryl Androsax (human, sorceress 4)
Belladonna (changeling, rogue 5)
Bjorn (human, cleric of Thor 5)
Torfinn (deva, invoker 4)

In our most recent game session, the heroes traveled back north up the Nentir River towards Fallcrest. Due to the orc troubles in the vale, there were few merchants foolhardy enough to risk the journey upriver. However the Swiftwater Halfling clan would not be deterred; they had been plying the river for generations, and it would take more than some orcs to scare them from their work. The Swiftwaters granted the heroes passage on one of their riverboats.

While stopped over in the town of Moonstair, the heroes learned that a particularly troublesome troll had been wreaking havoc on the homesteads outside the town walls. It had even recently made a brazen attack on some homes within the town itself. Town militia, and even a pair of seasoned adventures from the Roaringhorn family had been sent out to slay the beast, but none had returned. At the behest of the town’s half elven lord mayor, the heroes took up the task of ridding the town of the nightmare.

With the help of a retired alcoholic adventurer named Eric Trollarm (a once great archer whose arm had been torn off by a troll), the heroes tracked the beast to its lair in a nearby gulley.

The following is Bella’s journal detailing those events…

Today I have faced my first Troll, and it was just as challenging as the tales say. At first I was skeptical, our guide was a filthy, putrid man named Eric Trollarm who was rotting away in his own misery. I would have preferred to leave him in his pit of a home but unfortunately we needed him to find the monsters lair and apparently he was the only one who could lead us. I made certain to stay upwind.

Having reached the lair of the beast my first act was to send Cullen in. Although not as potent as Deryl in magic, I am particularly fond and proud of my little familiar. I admit that I find myself envious of the girl’s power. My own skills in the arcane arts are comparatively weak, and the homunculus is useless in a fight. It is his ability to scout that has proven more valuable to me then being able to hurl fireballs. A wise assassin soon learns that knowledge is the greatest power of all.

Cullen soon returned and was able to inform me that the Troll was asleep deep in his lair and give a general layout of his cave. My heart racing I entered quietly into its domain and found a suitable spot from which to fire my bolts before letting the rest of my companions enter.

I watched in hiding as Derren charged into the cave. He was trying to be quiet, trying being the operative word. He did not seem to realize that I was using him, an act that I would almost feel guilty for in the moments to come…almost. In fact, I would have felt guilt if the oaf hadn’t tried to show me his non-existent scar after the battle… I mean doesn’t he realize that divine healing doesn’t leave scar tissue? He should, he gets it enough.

As expected, the troll awakened to the fighter’s presence. The Troll’s head crested its nest. I was horrified to see that hanging around the troll’s neck was a golden skull. It was a possessed. Humans were deadly enough in such a state. I could only imagine how terrible a foe a possessed troll might be. I had act with utmost efficiency, and with a cold chill traveling down my spine I released my bolt. It struck true and the monster screamed in pain. Its red eyes scanned the shadows, completely ignoring Derren and settling upon me. With my death in those eyes it leaped into the air and surely would have reached me if my first shot had not hampered its movement. Instead it fell clumsily near Derren who took the chance to close in on his quarry.

Having hobbled my enemy, my second shot ensured that he would stay where he was. As the monster stood I could see the frustration in his face, and the realization that he could not reach me. It turned his full fury upon Derren. I watched as the troll lifted Derren up in the air by the ankles, slammed his body down on the ground like it weighed nothing and then spread his legs and bit down hard between them. I’m sure Derren felt blessed for once that the troll’s jaws were wide enough, and he himself was small enough not to suffer any permanent damage, but it still made my eyes water to watch.

Bjorn was able to reach Derren in time to heal him, and the rest of the battle went without serious incident. Deryl proved to be particularly effective. Our weapons were not as effective as usual, for the thing was healing much of the damage were causing at a phenomenal rate. It wasn’t until Deryl hurled some kind of acid upon it that we all could see that it could not heal. She may be a child, and she may be an Androsax but that doesn’t make her a fool. The intelligent sorceress saw her advantage and pressed it. If we had not had her there the fight would have gone on longer and been a lot tougher. I still believe that this life is still not the life for a girl of her age, but more and more I am finding that I am glad she is with us rather than not. Besides, she is stubborn and even if we left her behind I am sure she would find a way to follow us. It is better to have her here where we can watch her than alone upon our trail. Once Derren dies I shall have to insist that she continue to travel with us. I can already see that Torfin would be indifferent; it would be Bjorn that I would have to convince. I’m sure I could, if pressed, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

PHDungeon

First Post
Session #11 continued.

After dealing with the troubles in Moonstair the heroes continued their journey up river towards Fallcrest. While passing through the Witchlight fens they came across the river boat beached on the shore. There were several human corpses scattered about the beach. The corpses were all recent, and it was clear that they had met horribly violent deaths. Bjorn's journal details this part of the journey along with some of the events that took place after they reach Fallcrest.

Bjorn journal 11

It is good to be heading north again, I feel at home in the smaller towns and villages. Jarl Surtur of Grimsburg has asked us to help in Fallcrest, as they are under threat of attack from the gathering orc hordes. The trip up river has been relaxing (except for the skull possessed troll) and the Halflings are good hosts. There seems to be some disturbance on shore...

Well that was interesting and a bit of a close call for Darren. When we went to shore we found the remains of an attack on a money lender from Fallcrest. There had been rumours of shifter and werewolf attacks on the unwary in the area, and we found definite evidence to verify the rumours. The bodies had been savaged and we found tracks leading into the fens. We also found some chests that had been left behind hidden in the reeds, possibly for future collection by the attackers. Inside the chests was disturbing evidence that the moneylender was a devotee of Asmodeus. We considered pursuing the trail of the attackers. The river boat that belonged to the merchant and his men was still intact and river worthy so we decided to re-float it and continue on our way, as the mission to Fallcrest was urgent and it was deemed imprudent to follow an unknown number of attackers into the fens. The marshy land would give them a great advantage. Though if time was not pressing I am sure we would have ventured forth anyway.

It was as we were about to re-float the boat that we were attacked by several swamp goblins and a pair of odd beasts I am told were cockatrice. I had heard of them but never before encountered them. We managed to kill or run off the attackers, but in the process young Darren was bitten and poisoned by one of the beasts. The result of the poisoning was complete petrification. The only thing I was aware of that would help was a ritual of remove affliction, but unfortunately my training has not progressed far enough for me to preform it, and we had no scroll to make the attempt. However Torfinn seemed to recall that the gland of the beast that did the poisoning could be used to reverse the effect. This reminded me of some of my training in the healing arts along the same lines. We proceeded to remove the glands from the creatures and experiment. Fortunately, for Darren we were successful and we restored mobility to him.

The balance of the journey upriver was uneventful and we made Fallcrest in good time. The town is in turmoil as the Orcs amass upriver. The town has hired some Dwarven mercenaries who are bored now with inactivity and are causing almost as much damage as if the orcs were attacking. On arriving we presented ourselves to the Lord Markelhay after encountering a few of the local Priests of Rao on the way to his keep. Typically they are more concerned with their own power than in the defence of the town, and were pressuring the Lord to expel the local magic user. Our meeting with the lord went as well as could be expected seeing he was under threat of invasion and the five of us were what was sent from Grimsburg at his request for aid. Though, I am sure we will be of more use than a couple of dozen barely trained men at arms.

After speaking with the lord, Torfinn, myself and Darren headed back to the Inn while Bella and Deryl went to talk with the mage- Nimrozan. Since our last visit, there has been much done for the town's defences including closing the wall breach with a palisade and clearing the trees back from the walls. In the morning I will confer with the local Cleric of Odin and look to the training of the volunteer militia.

PHDungeon

First Post
Dear Corvin,

My first night back in the vale! Our trip back was downright dangerous – we sailed upriver with the Swiftwater clan, stopped over in Moonstair and beached off the Witchlight Fens. Danger and mystery glared at us at every turn- on road and water, city and country. It is like some evil is slowly gathering, churning the dull roots of winter and sprouting cruel and savage flowers.

In Moonstair, a lone troll had attacked the town the evening before our arrival. The insolent thing swam up to the dock and grabbed a few deckhands before slipping away again to its lair. With the help of a one-armed drunkard and sometime hero, we tracked it to its lair in a gully overlaid with brambles. Bella crept in cautiously, covering Bjorn and I as we strode up a narrow den to its under cave warren. The thing awoke at the sound of someone’s clumsiness (I am a forgiving type, and prefer not to remember who), and Bella had it staggered with a crossbow bolt in its braincage. The bolt must have severed some nerve as the wretched thing kept falling. I have never faced a troll, let alone in single combat. St. Aurielous would have been proud! You should see the scar I have across my belly – the thing reached for my legs, threw me to the ground, tried to tear my legs apart, and as though that wasn’t enough, it took a great bite out of my groin. The pain was white hot, the panic was overwhelming and I can scarce put words together save this: Thank the Gods for codpieces. My friends now call me Derren Trollchoker. I kind of like it, as it takes a lot to choke a troll.

Sadly, there were no survivors of the troll’s raid that we could rescue. We burned the bodies and returned their gear to Moonstair.

On the river north, we fell across a shore where a boat was grounded and corpses gathered. I leapt onto the derelict vessel, my friends behind. Some savage ambush had caught these merchants unawares – many clawed hands across their bellies and pawed feet in the sandy shores. I even discovered the body of a Fallcrest moneylender named Amros Kalroth among the slain, and in possession of some Asmodean artefacts. Deryl found the deed to his house and decided to keep it. Perhaps we will have an Androsax hall in Fallcrest sooner rather than later! I must remember to investigate the presence of devil worship in the vale sooner. Tired of our endless debates to sail on or follow a trail, some swamp goblins attacked us, with these horrid clucking, poisonous pets that nearly bit my gibbets off a second time that week. I don’t remember much after facing off against one of them ... Deryl later told me I had turned to stone. She was worried that my friends were going to leave me on the shore, or toss me into the river ... but surely she misunderstood their adult humour. I came to myself along the river, but it took a day for my full eloquence to return to me.

We returned to the vale, managing to make as good an impression on Lord Marklehay as we did a bad one with Grelmor Zeech, the Cleric of Rao. He has it in for Deryl, but luckily, she and Bella befriended the local wizard. Deryl is camped up in his tower, protected by an ... enthusiastic little Halfling named Lazlo and an army of cats. Oh, and Bella’s there, and she can be pretty protective too when no one else is looking. The whole damn town is surrounded by orcs. I fear the worst.

What’s left to say? The boys are with me at the Cliffwatch. The moon is a sliver in the sky. I wonder what Briannah is doing? I can’t believe she gave me her father’s ... wait – there is the sound of conflict outside.

Remove ads