• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Philosophers' Guide to the Age of Arcana

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
Hey, everyone. I just wanted to share something I have been working on. It's the first (good-copy) 39 pages of a campaign setting I have been writing. Enjoy!

EDIT: So, it turns out that you cannot put campaign settings up on the DMGuild. I took down my own work as a result. I will, eventually, put it up on DriveThruRPG. I don't know how long it will take me to finish this, however. Unlike the DMGuild, I feel a little less comfortable putting up incomplete work on DriveThruRPG. Maybe I am being silly. In any case, I figured I would share what I have so far right here. I'm just looking for feedback. Enjoy!

Attachments

• The Philosophers' Guide to the Age of Arcana (Introduction, Chapter 1, Sections from Chapter 5).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 117
  • Travel Map.jpg
    Travel Map.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Hate to rain on your parade... but you can’t post new campaign settings to the DMs Guild. It takes approved official settings only or setting neutral products.
You’ll need to add the OGL and post it to DriveThruRPG instead.

Sorry...

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
Really!? Oh, that is poop. Well, thanks for letting me know. That's really frustrating. I've taken the content down. Guess I will need to re-upload it to DriveThruRPG when I have a free moment.

Last edited:

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
Sure. Here is the introducion for the setting... it is basically the "elevator pitch."

Attachments

• Pages from The Philosophers' Guide to the Age of Arcana (Introduction).pdf
    456.9 KB · Views: 108

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I decided to do you one better. I added the Introduction, Chapter 1, and selections from Chapter 5 to the original post. Enjoy!

Awesome, thanks!

Looking it over, I love the concept - a firmly early-modern D&D setting as opposed to the standard semi-medieval fantasy mishmash sounds super cool, and I love the way you integrate the fantasy elements into a semi-historical kind of AU. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s really “for me.” Too busy for my taste, with so many races, charts for what races come from what regions, subclasses... I think this would all be GREAT for folks who like their settings packed to the brim, with a ton of attention to detail. Sadly, it’s not really my thing, so I don’t know how valuable my feedback will be. I think you’d be better off making it better for your target audience than watering it down for the benefit of folks like me.

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
I’m sad to hear that it’s not for you. Of course, just because it’s full of stuff doesn’t mean you have to use all of that stuff when using the campaign setting. I figure that most games will be set in Erath. As a result, I figure that a lot of the material relating to Tir na Aval would not be used by most groups. I don’t, for example, expect most groups to feature centaurs and loxodons. I just like adding the information anyways. You know, to inspire DM’s! Anyway, thanks for giving it a read.

I’m particularly proud of my bavanshee and sanguinaphage. I think I did a good job with that homebrew race’s flavour text. If anyone happens to give that race a readthrough, I would love to hear second opinions from someone else. You know, someone who is not biased. 😝

Remove ads