D&D 5E Physical and/or Tactile Gaming Aids, Tips, and Tricks

I second happyhermit use of inspiration dice. It is a really fun way for the GM to award players.

I don't have anything to add to your list. But I would like dive a little deeper into maps and minis.

If you have a campaign map (overland regional or world map), I have used this trick as a great reminder for players. I lay out the map on the table before players get there. Then, using minis as the only visual cue, I place them at the locations where they were encountered. If it was a specific type of place they encountered, say a lighthouse, I print out the map we used for the lighthouse on a mini-scale (notecard size). Place it on the map with the miniatures they may have met, say the lighthouse keeper and the banshee haunting the grounds.

It can seem like a lot, but if you do it weekly it isn't. And the visual cues do three things:
  1. Remind players of important NPC's that may still be involved in the story line. It also reminds them of villains they may have not yet overcome.
  2. It visually tracks their progress. So when they see it, they feel as if they have accomplished something.
  3. It can be a great use of foreshadowing.
Once the map is down, I generally keep it on another table or spare bed until game time starts. Then just add whatever they did and throw it on the table for the beginning of our session. It may be on there for an hour or ten minutes, but either way, it seems to really help the players have a weekly reminder of NPC's and locales.

Voadam

Legend
I got some colored index cards for initiative tracking. Each character has a card with their name on it, then one for monster (group) 1, 2, 3, etc. I have one volunteer player sort them into initiative order at the beginning of a combat and then call out who is next and adjust the stack as the combat continues.

It seems to help keep things going faster without accidentally forgetting anybody in a round.

Remove ads