• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pickpocketing

Destil

Explorer
The MUD Dragonrealms had a nice sytem for pickpocketing I rather liked: It was an opposed pickpocket rolls to see what you get from the person, and a second opposed Spot (as it would translate to D&D) vs. Pickpocket roll to see if you noticed.

WizarDru

Adventurer
hong said:
What a truly marvellous euphemism.

"As the drugs began to take hold, Martha became aware of Joe's hands slipping into her pocket in a very technical way."

Ah, hong. Going there, so no one else has to.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Bag of Devouring. Just stick an NPC at a bar with an obvious purse that happens to be a bag of devouring. All your problems will be solved. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ethereal Filchers. With a Robin Hood complex.

Every time the halfling steals something, the Ethereal Filcher steal it back and return it - plus they steal something of the halfling's and give it to charity.

The more he steals, the poorer he gets, and the more little orphan children get real brussels sprouts to go with their gruel...

-Hyp.

DiFier

First Post
Have the party wiz use locate item. then have the dwarf chop off his hands. which seems a bit harsh.

though I have a feeling that this is not totally an In charachter problem. I bet he will not think it is funny when the dwarf chops off his charachter's hands.

In Charachter have the rest of the group tell the charachter that party dynamics are important and that a team that can't trust each other will not last long. He has the option to shape up or ship out. Give the player an option to play a new charachter at the same level or contiune with the same charachter. if he wants to continue with this charachter he must be on the best behavior.[1] one slip up and the party may chop off his hands or kill him. or leave him hog tied naked on the side of the road with a sign in troll that says eat me around his neck. The other charachters can divide up his stuff While the player rolls up a new charachter at one level lower.

[1] the problem with this is he might get in trouble for a simple mistake, or for failing a save or check. The charachter will not trust him so mistakes may be interperated as done on purpose. you should tell the player this it is a problem that non team players run into all the time.

diaglo

Adventurer
DiFier said:
Have the party wiz use locate item. then have the dwarf chop off his hands. which seems a bit harsh.

what game mechanic do you use to attack someone's hands without them rolling init?

i think the dwarf bringing an axe to bare on the thief will cause some reaction by the thief. if not self defense at least flight.

unless they wait for him to be asleep. in which case they don't need to maim him (the alignment of the characters coming into issue) but they can leave him.

Fenes 2

First Post
Back in 2E, for a short time we had a kender PC (from DL) in our FR-party. The idiot started to pick our character's pockets as well, but not for long. The wizard warned the kender, that should the little snot ever "find" one of the wizard's items again it would be fireball time until nothing but ash remained. The rest of the PCs were a bit more mellow - they just took to grabbing the kender each morning or evening or whenever they felt like it and strip-searching him. The kender became an amusing party member for the short time until the player tired of getting his own medicine force-fed back. (His next characters were not really better team-players, but no kenders, at last.)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Don't forget - according to the DMG the penalty for having your hands chopped off is laughably small :)

I can't remember the actual effect but it is something like -2 to combat and some skills. IIRC it even says not to increase the penalty if both hands are disabled...

Remove ads