Pilgrimage to Gen Con: Planning, Logistics?

kenobi65

First Post
Nerfwright said:
Is there an ENWorld sigil people put on their badges?

In the past few years, someone has volunteered to make "secondary badges" for the EN Worlders, which you'd pick up at the EN World booth. If this gets done again, expect to see a sign-up thread here when the con gets closer.

Which hotels do folks' suggest, and why?

I stayed at the Westin in 2003 through 2005 (I didn't go last year; went to Origins instead). A very nice hotel, connected to the convention center via a walkway (there are probably a half-dozen connected that way), and fairly reasonably priced for 4 of us in a room. But, of the hotels in the area, it's probably one of the more expensive.

Nerfwright

Explorer
This is very useful information - thank you all. :)

Are there any more recommendations for hotels? I will want to stay in one of the 'connected' ones or very close by, but price may be a factor as I don't have any travelling companions who are planning on going (yet).

I appreciate the third party publishers a great deal, and will express that with my dollars while I'm there.

NW

qstor

Adventurer
Nerfwright said:
Are there any more recommendations for hotels? I will want to stay in one of the 'connected' ones or very close by, but price may be a factor as I don't have any travelling companions who are planning on going (yet).

I appreciate the third party publishers a great deal, and will express that with my dollars while I'm there.

NW

If you have a car you can get a hotel out by the interstate but then you have to pay for parking. If you get a hotel close in then you can walk to the convention center. Try sites like Expedia for different prices for hotels.

Mike

Steel_Wind

Legend
Hotels are noted here and shown on the map: http://www.iccrd.com/pdf/downtown.pdf

I stayed at the Radisson last year. I would have preferred a slightly shorter walk - but it's no biggie. Cost was reasonable enough I guess and the suite was very large.

I must say that I'm starting to get all keen on GenCon this year and am working hard on convincing the guys in my gaming circle to go again.

Registration opens a week from today!

Nerfwright said:
This is very useful information - thank you all. :)

NW

I stayed at the Westin last year, but was thinking of trying to stay at the Hyatt this year. They seemed more gamer friendly. Other than a really comfortable bed, the amenities at the Westin weren't that great, and although it was convenient to be able to get from my room to the ENWorld booth in 3 minutes, the extra 5 walking from the Hyatt's no big deal (its connected by skywalk, too, just at the other end).

Lalato

Adventurer
If you can get it... Embassy Suites is the THE place to stay. Why? Free Full Breakfast every morning. That's right. Free Full Breakfast every morning. (because it bears repeating).

--sam

Seonaid

Explorer
I'm not sure what's with all the dealer hall hate either; I love it. Of course, my will save v. spending is pretty high (it helps that I have practically no money), but it is definitely Something To See. I usually give myself at LEAST half a day to just wander, and generally my free time (what little there is) is spent there.

I also am not quite sure what's with all the Ram love. I was there twice (maybe three times) last year and while the con-themed stuff was pretty sweet, I wasn't impressed with the food or service. The long waits (due to high volume, as noted above) didn't help either. I am only going to return if the people I'm with insist upon it. It's not *bad*, just not worth writing home about.

Edit: RE: hotels, I stayed with people out by the airport, and let me tell you, it was a HUGE pain in the butt. Driving back and forth was really really annoying. Maybe the difference in price makes it worthwhile for you, but half-way through the con I met some people who were staying at the Embassy Suites and I immediately changed from the airport hotel to the Suites (which is like 2 blocks from the convention center, if that--it might actually be right across the street, I don't remember). If cost is your concern, it obviously bears analysis, but if you're willing to spend, stay as close as possible (or at least as close as you're willing to walk). Also, if you're willing to throw your fate in with others, sometimes people post here looking for roommates.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Seonaid said:
I'm not sure what's with all the dealer hall hate either; I love it. Of course, my will save v. spending is pretty high (it helps that I have practically no money), but it is definitely Something To See. I usually give myself at LEAST half a day to just wander, and generally my free time (what little there is) is spent there.

Well - in Gencons past (the 80s, especially) Gencon tended to have a lot more "deals" in the dealer room. The producers of the stuff were there and selling direct and they had the headroom to mark down their product from retail and still make more money in direct sales.

So the dealer room was a better "deal" than it is now. Plus, without the internet and ebay - this was your only chance to get it. So the perceived value of access to the product seemed a unique opportunity. (That perception is still there in Gencon - just not as much as it was).

These days, the direct sales in the dealer room is an essential part of the business plan of a vast number of small third party manufacturers and D20 publishers. Without the direct sales opportunities presented by Origins, Gencon and Dragoncon, these small game producers would literally close shop (Sovereign Press, I'm looking at you). They have the head room to mark down in theory - but these direct sales at full retail are not "bonuses" to them - they are the bread and butter of their business plan without which they will go under. So full retail is what you pay.

And the price that many of them offer for goods on the dealer room floor is pretty high. It certainly is not less than your FLGS - and in some instances may well be more. You can almost always find the large majority of this stuff online for the same or cheaper.

I think that explains the warnings of the dealer room from the penurious.

For all that though - there are hundreds of products available in the dealer room that simply are not available anywhere in a FLGS. These guys don't have that sort of distribution and their products are too specialized to get much exposure. True - in the age of the internet and ebay - they may otherwise be available online for purchase (if you even knew it existed so as to look for it in the first place - NOT a small point), but there is nothing like being able to see and touch and assess a product directly before deciding to buy it.

And there are some deals. I went last year with the intent or purchasing Steel Squire's spell templates - and got the whole collection in one binder - plus a freebie flipmat, dry erase, sharpie and line of sight retractable tape thingie. It was cool and I was happy to get it. I use it every session. A1 accessory pack.

Likewise, I picked up a battle box with a metal D20 in it last year. Can't say as I've ever Used the other stuff in the battle box - but my wife uses the metal D20 as "her die". For $10, that was a cool purchase. I'd get it again in a heartbeat. That was an example of "cheaper on the dealer room floor" than your FLGS.

And sometimes you don't get something you realize you should have.

Last year, there was this guy there who was selling a heavy plastic thinigmabob which had slots holders for all the cards in a settlers of Catan game + Cities and Knights.

He wanted $20 or $22 for it. I forget. He put the thing on the floor and jumped up and down on it to demonstrate that it was strong and not going to break.

And I didn't buy it. I had the money - I just didn't get it. There was absolutely NO REASON for not getting it and I've been kicking my ass over that for the past 6 months.

D00D - whoever you are with the heavy gauge plastic Settlers Card holder: come on back to Gencon 2007 so I can buy that thing!

Last edited:

jaults

First Post
Random related question.

We (myself and three friends) have stayed at the Omni the past 4 years running. This year, a fifth person is coming. Do we get a room for four, and smuggle the fifth in? Do we pay a little extra for a cot? How does that work, exactly?

Thanks,
Jason

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Good luck getting a cot. I've only heard stories of woe around them during GenCon.

In which case, my suggestion is to bring an air mattress instead, or buy one when you hit town and smuggle the extra body in.

Remove ads