Pilgrimage to Gen Con: Planning, Logistics?

Xath

Moder-gator
jaults said:
Random related question.

We (myself and three friends) have stayed at the Omni the past 4 years running. This year, a fifth person is coming. Do we get a room for four, and smuggle the fifth in? Do we pay a little extra for a cot? How does that work, exactly?

Thanks,
Jason

I don't know how it works at the Omni, but at the Embassy, you can just ask them for up to 6 room keys per room, and they won't ask questions. In fact, I think that last year, 2 different people from our room ended up getting 6 room keys each.

I really like staying at the Embassy. It's a bit further of a walk, but it's the ENWorld/CM hang out and it's full of the best people at Gencon.

ronin

Explorer
I would also suggest the Embassy Suites. We have stayed there the past 2 or 3 years and it's been great each time. The free breakfast buffet each morning (with made to order omelets) easily saves you some cash on food that can go towards other things. The entire hotel is like it's own little "side" Gen Con. You can't possibly go wrong if you stay there, the place is awesome.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Don't forget the free booze every evening at the Embassy Suites too.

Nothing helps a good pickup game like unlimited beer for two hours.

Honest.

Xath

Moder-gator
HellHound said:
Don't forget the free booze every evening at the Embassy Suites too.

Nothing helps a good pickup game like unlimited beer for two hours.

Honest.

Especially if the following pick-up game is an alcohol LARP? ;)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Xath said:
Especially if the following pick-up game is an alcohol LARP? ;)

Cheap scotch is your friend.

I think the Alcohol LARP this year should be the same night as the Circvs Maximvs Toga Party.

Because there's nothing more frightening than a bunch of plastered fatbeards in togas.

Well, except for fatbeards in mustard yellow bustiers.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Last year was my first time at Gencon, I'm planning to go this year.
Regarding hotels......for your first year in Indy, yeah, stay downtown. But if you plan to return, look for much better deals a bit further out.

Regarding the Ram....I couldn't even get in the door without being quoted a wait of 45-50 minutes. I never got the chance to eat there. The staff at the door was rude and had NO control over the situation at the door. Forget it.

Regarding the dealer room....you know whether or not I buy something, it's cool to talk to some of the people I do business with or see on message boards or write some of my favorite stuff. I met Jolly Blackburn, Kevin Siembieda, some folks from Mongoose Publishing, some folks from RPGObjects, folks from Chessex, and others. It was very cool. I picked up some books I never would have even seen without the company having a booth at Gencon. I was made some great deals on books too. Call me kooky, but I like hearing people talk excitedly and enthusiastically about their livelihood. I walk through everyday seeing people who take no enjoyment or pride in what they produce, it's wonderful to see someone so passionate about a product and it's an infectious feeling. Wander the dealer room, talk to booth folk, seek out deals, and watch for new stuff.

General advice...
-dress properly. It's hot...I mean really HOT and HUMID in Indy in August. Shorts, skirts (of appropriate length), light shirts, t shirts, comfortable, cool shoes.
-keep hydrated. buy one water bottle, then keep refilling it throughout the day.
-seminars. try to attend some. They're a nice change of pace from gaming/anime watching/dealer room shopping/etc. they're pretty interesting too.
-pack sensibly. take into consideration that you will be bringing back swag and make allowances in your baggage for the additional weight.
-if they have a dance, skip it; find an RPG pickup game. every song was this techno crap, the band played nothing recognizable, and there's wasn't a ballad or slow song in the bunch.
-get some kind of decent sleep at least one night.
-eat at least one good meal a day.

jaults

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Does anyone know how much the Embassy Suites is, as compared to the Omni? Are this years' prices posted anywhere?

Thanks,
Jason

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Last year was my first Gen Con. I stayed for free about about 25 minutes away, and would gladly pay to stay within walking distance the next time I go (hopefully this year). It just wasn't worth saving money for me, in terms of losing play time, and drinking time.

If you do stay far away, and need to drive in, find someone staying at the Embassy Suites and get them to get you a pass for your car (assuming they don't have one). Saves some serious cash...

Remove ads