piracy is a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underage AOLer

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
*shrug*

I got the PDF. I also have the core set pre-ordered.

And if WOTC made at least a tiny effort to be competitive in the PDF market, I'd have bought their PDF instead.

But they haven't, so I didn't.

This.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Ashrem Bayle said:
*shrug*

And if WOTC made at least a tiny effort to be competitive in the PDF market, I'd have bought their PDF instead.

This, seconded. Well, with exception that I got my Buy.com order sitting at home waiting for me to tear it open. :cool:

pogminky

First Post
I may be naive, but doesn't downloading illegal torrents, whether or not you also buy hard copies, encourage further piracy and further leaks. Which in turn hurts sales across the board, especially for local independant stores, and pushes up prices for everyone???

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
pogminky said:
I may be naive, but doesn't downloading illegal torrents, whether or not you also buy hard copies, encourage further piracy and further leaks. Which in turn hurts sales across the board, especially for local independant stores, and pushes up prices for everyone???
No.

Scribble

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
*shrug*

Seems like they are (or they were going to be... did that change?)

WOTC also has the rules compendium online tool supposedly hitting the net this June, which looks to have all the needed rules in it... Pretty BIG effort I'd say.

But I suppose if you want to judge their effort before their effort was scheduled to be released...

Toryx

First Post
I'm only surprised at how many people are plainly and openly confessing to committing a crime on a publicly accessible online forum where their IP address can easily be obtained. It takes no great mental leap, however, to assume that considerably more people who have no intention of buying the physical books are coy enough not to admit to it, and probably wise enough to realize that saying they're going to buy the books anyway (whether true or not) does not make it okay.

Though I'm not a fan of 4e and disapprove of a lot of decisions WotC made in developing it (not to mention their playtesting methods) I feel sorry for them. I can only imagine how disappointing it would be, after waiting for months to talk to their customers about the product, to have to watch so much of the eagerly anticipated information revealed early. And they probably can't even talk about it or share in the revelations.

What a bummer, man.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Even if my mysterious newfound grasp of the 4e rules were to come from pirated files, it hasn't affected my Amazon pre-order status.

Nor the fact that I have a case of 4e minis arriving tomorrow.

IMHO: it's not a big deal. Just like the free SRD didn't hurt 3.5e sales.

Cheers, -- N

Mighty Veil

First Post
I believe downloading torrents is legal in Canada (not uploading though).

I came across copies of 4e online and I have the books ordered from Amazon. I want the books not PDFs. I am hoping Wizards will tell all distributors to release the books early.

baberg

First Post
pogminky said:
I may be naive, but doesn't downloading illegal torrents, whether or not you also buy hard copies, encourage further piracy and further leaks.
Yes.
pogminky said:
Which in turn hurts sales across the board, especially for local independant stores, and pushes up prices for everyone???
That has yet to be seen. How many of those who download are still going to buy the core books and just wanted a "jump start" on the rules and/or their worldbuilding? How many who downloaded never intended to buy 4e and just wanted to see "how bad it's become" because they prefer D&D Version X? How many downloaded it to skim over and never read, play, or understand the rules?

Cirex

First Post
LowSpine said:
The only people who have a pdf and aren't going to buy them are the people who wouldn't anyway even if there wasn't a pdf (the main percentage).

I was going to post this.

And I was going to post something else. Calling "pirates" to those who download stuff is an act of propaganda*. Comparing people who sunk(sank?) ships, raped women, killed men and stole their treasures to people who expand culture is insulting.

Sadly it's one of those terms who evolved with time, totally leaving behind the original meaning (hacker and gay come to mind).

*Long story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads