• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pirate Borg -- any of you scurvy dogs have it?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've reached the bestiary, and this is where the game's early roots as a D&D supplement show up for the first time that I can see, with dire crocodiles and other stuff that would feel very at home in a 5E book.

Also, there is way more chicken content in this book than I had expected.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm up through the adventure. In addition to this book being gorgeous, the ship combat system and extensive piratical generators in the book make it arguably a must-have for any game one might want to run pirate adventures in. I certainly would want to use these rules the next time I ran a Freeport D&D game.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think it’s best to view the timeline as entirely optional.
Yeah, the starter adventure makes that clear. By the timeline, it would have to be set near the end of the timeline, when the apocalypse is fully underway and it's hard to imagine the NPCs in town being as chill as they are. The adventure is very much a "greatest hits" version of the book.

It'll be interesting to see what the Dark Caribbean sourcebook being crowdfunded next year looks like.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm up through the adventure. In addition to this book being gorgeous, the ship combat system and extensive piratical generators in the book make it arguably a must-have for any game one might want to run pirate adventures in. I certainly would want to use these rules the next time I ran a Freeport D&D game.
Like I said up thread, it's my favorite pirate game to date. Limithron (Pirate Borg's creator) has a Google doc of various pirate-related media (movies, games, etc) that's an absolute treasure trove of inspiration and ideas. It's on his discord somewhere. Can't seem to find it or I'd link it here.
Yeah, the starter adventure makes that clear. By the timeline, it would have to be set near the end of the timeline, when the apocalypse is fully underway and it's hard to imagine the NPCs in town being as chill as they are. The adventure is very much a "greatest hits" version of the book.
Limithron has mentioned if he had a mulligan, he'd start with some ship-to-ship combat before reaching the island to cover all the aspects of play. Combining Pirate Borg with Freeport and/or Dark of Hot Springs Island is quickly becoming a gaming white whale of mine.
It'll be interesting to see what the Dark Caribbean sourcebook being crowdfunded next year looks like.
Absolutely.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My thought with the timeline was to do something like the Great Pendragon Campaign with it, and start with a single crew at the top left of the timeline and have them (or their replacements) eventually experience the entire timeline. The Dark Caribbean book, as currently described, will start about 25% of the way through the timeline -- after the destruction of Port Royal -- when the supernatural stuff is starting to obviously happen.

Either in the Dark Caribbean book, or in some other document, there should probably be some support for starting at the beginning of the timeline, when things seem pretty similar to the real world.

Cannot contribute much here at the moment - I have the PDF (backed the Kickstarter), but it's sitting lower on the reading pile since I began to tire a bit of "the Borg family" after Death in Space. But I will say that this thread has increased my interest in reading the book again, and it's really nice to get impressions from it and ideas what to do with the game. So thanks for posting Pirate Borg stuff here! :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am torn between Death in Space and Starforged to scratch my sci-fi RPG itch. How I feel about the Borg rules system after running Pirate Borg games will probably be the determinant.

Remove ads