Piratecat's GenCon report

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wednesday: Head to the airport with KidCthulhu and Jobu. Make the mistake of talking about our annual airport "spot the gamer" game as we enter the check-in line ("He's a gamer, gamer, not a gamer, gamer, DEFINITELY a gamer, not a gamer..."). The fellow in front of us objects. "You'd never spot me as a gamer!" he claims. He's dressed in all black with a con T-shirt on, long hair pulled back in a ponytail, goatee. Uh huh.

The flight is superb. Midwest Express is my favorite airline ever - wide leather seats, foot room, and gourmet food. Ahhh.

In Milwaukee, we check in and go get our judge badges at RPGA HQ. The line is non-existent and the process goes without a hitch. I'm amazed. We look at the cool banners around the arena, all with art from the iconics or other cool games on them (these were later auctioned off). We see some of our friends who play in the Chaosium Cthulhu Masters Tournament, including Anthony Ragan, the guy who wrote the setting my campaign is based in. Dinner with friends, hours of strategizing on how to improve a very combat-heavy adventure, and I get a basic tutorial on how to run Star Wars. I'm slightly nervous about the next day.

My roommate claims that everyone else in the room snored that night. Well, two other people. Well, me. I make disbelieving remonstrances when I'm sure he's right. Damn! And this guy never snores, so he's allowed to be self-righteous, darn it.

Thursday: 6:30 am alarm, breakfast, and off to the arena! First game is Paranoia. The module is centered around Real-I-Tee TV shows, so the PCs are given lethal challenges and kill each other off. Tremendous fun. I prove once and for all that I am a geek because the final encounter was "Who wants to win a million credits?", a show where troubleshooters are strapped into the hot seat and asked unanswerable questions by the host Re-G-ISS-3, then lasered if they get it wrong. I haul out my laptop where I've done all the questions and answers up in Powerpoint, complete with spiffy effects and laser noises, and much laughter ensues.

Lunch is a hotdog with Fiery James and Fiery Todd after I sneak into the dealer's room. I meet Claudio Pozas and grin from ear to ear; his stuff is even better pre-scan. I also finally meet Sue Cook, and am delighted to hear that they were highly amused by Sialia's Boynton illustration of "Orc and Pie." James keeps trash-talking Monte about the upcoming ENnies. The aisles are crowded, people pushing by, then stopping in their tracks as they see something else incredibly cool. I see Warwick Davis and consider telling him that I loved him in Austin Powers, then remember that I'm not actually that much of a jerk. Warwick looks like he's having fun.

I buy the new Giant Monster Battle book over at Mystic Eye Games. Ohhh, bliss.

The afternoon is all about Call of Cthulhu, as I run a table of people playing avant garde artists in the late sixties, attending a very deadly party. Darned good players, much warbling insanity, and hallucinations of dead relatives; does it get better than that? As soon as the game is done, I bolt over to my hotel to make dinner reservations, then to the Midwest Express Center to meet everyone for dinner. Dinner is hilarious; Eric swearing, Kara laughing, Morrus goggling at the portions, Ranger Wickett trying to share a plate of food with his wonderful girlfriend on the oooother side of the table, and much laughter and incriminating photos all around. The conversation is full of double entendres, and turns out to be highly quotable if Eric's grandma didn't hang out here.

Then to the Safe House! Not crowded yet, we explore and order. Eric has his watch stolen (and returned) by the best magician/pickpocket I've seen in ages. And then my contact lens pops out of my eye, rolls down my front, and ends up on the floor. My vision is abominable, something like 20/800, so the world immediately becomes harder to see.

Before the inevitable eyestrain headache sets in we say bye to Mark, Al, Morrus, Eric & Kara, and head back to the hotel. KidCthulhu is leading me, thank God, because the world is a big 'ole blur. I'm squinting with one eye and making the appropriate pirate noises as I walk past blurry people. In the lobby, I see a bunch of folks with two tired girls. The woman has a hat on over her red hair - I can make out that much. We get on the elevator.

The elevator rises. With one eye squinted shut, I try to see who the people are. As I do so, I see the woman squinting at me herself! "Oh, crap!" I think. "She thinks i'm leering at her, or winking at her, or being some sort of jerk when it's just the contact lens! What am I going to say?"

And NikChick from Green Ronin asks, ".....Piratecat?"

Really, as embarrassed as I was, it was a tremendous relief.

More later, if you folks find these interesting!

Last edited:

Halma

First Post
Piratecat said:
Wednesday: Head to the airport with KidCthulhu and Jobu. Make the mistake of talking about our annual airport "spot the gamer" game as we enter the check-in line ("He's a gamer, gamer, not a gamer, gamer, DEFINITELY a gamer, not a gamer..."). The fellow in front of us objects. "You'd never spot me as a gamer!" he claims. He's dressed in all black with a con T-shirt on, long hair pulled back in a ponytail, goatee. Uh huh.

The flight is superb. Midwest Express is my favorite airline ever - wide leather seats, foot room, and gourmet food. Ahhh.

In Milwaukee, we check in and go get our judge badges at RPGA HQ. The line is non-existent and the process goes without a hitch. I'm amazed. We look at the cool banners around the arena, all with art from the iconics or other cool games on them (these were later auctioned off). We see some of our friends who play in the Chaosium Cthulhu Masters Tournament, including Anthony Ragan, the guy who wrote the setting my campaign is based in. Dinner with friends, hours of strategizing on how to improve a very combat-heavy adventure, and I get a basic tutorial on how to run Star Wars. I'm slightly nervous about the next day.

My roommate claims that everyone else in the room snored that night. Well, two other people. Well, me. I make disbelieving remonstrances when I'm sure he's right. Damn! And this guy never snores, so he's allowed to be self-righteous, darn it.

Thursday: 6:30 am alarm, breakfast, and off to the arena! First game is Paranoia. The module is centered around Real-I-Tee TV shows, so the PCs are given lethal challenges and kill each other off. Tremendous fun. I prove once and for all that I am a geek because the final encounter was "Who wants to win a million credits?", a show where troubleshooters are strapped into the hot seat and asked unanswerable questions by the host Re-G-ISS-3, then lasered if they get it wrong. I haul out my laptop where I've done all the questions and answers up in Powerpoint, complete with spiffy effects and laser noises, and much laughter ensues.

Lunch is a hotdog with Fiery James and Fiery Todd after I sneak into the dealer's room. I meet Claudio Pozas and grin from ear to ear; his stuff is even better pre-scan. I also finally meet Sue Cook, and am delighted to hear that they were highly amused by Sialia's Boynton illustration of "Orc and Pie." James keeps trash-talking Monte about the upcoming ENnies. The aisles are crowded, people pushing by, then stopping in their tracks as they see something else incredibly cool. I see Warwick Davis and consider telling him that I loved him in Austin Powers, then remember that I'm not actually that much of a jerk. Warwick looks like he's having fun.

I buy the new Giant Monster Battle book over at Mystic Eye Games. Ohhh, bliss.

The afternoon is all about Call of Cthulhu, as I run a table of people playing avant garde artists in the late sixties, attending a very deadly party. Darned good players, much warbling insanity, and hallucinations of dead relatives; does it get better than that? As soon as the game is done, I bolt over to my hotel to make dinner reservations, then to the Midwest Express Center to meet everyone for dinner. Dinner is hilarious; Eric swearing, Kara laughing, Morrus goggling at the portions, Ranger Wickett trying to share a plate of food with his wonderful girlfriend on the oooother side of the table, and much laughter and incriminating photos all around. The conversation is full of double entendres, and turns out to be highly quotable if Eric's grandma didn't hang out here.

Then to the Safe House! Not crowded yet, we explore and order. Eric has his watch stolen (and returned) by the best magician/pickpocket I've seen in ages. And then my contact lens pops out of my eye, rolls down my front, and ends up on the floor. My vision is abominable, something like 20/800, so the world immediately becomes harder to see.

Before the inevitable eyestrain headache sets in we say bye to Mark, Al, Morrus, Eric & Kara, and head back to the hotel. KidCthulhu is leading me, thank God, because the world is a big 'ole blur. I'm squinting with one eye and making the appropriate pirate noises as I walk past blurry people. In the lobby, I see a bunch of folks with two tired girls. The woman has a hat on over her red hair - I can make out that much. We get on the elevator.

The elevator rises. With one eye squinted shut, I try to see who the people are. As I do so, I see the woman squinting at me herself! "Oh, crap!" I think. "She thinks i'm leering at her, or winking at her, or being some sort of jerk when it's just the contact lens! What am I going to say?"

And NikChick from Green Ronin asks, ".....Piratecat?"

Really, as embarrassed as I was, it was a tremendous relief.

More later, if you folks find these interesting!

Lol.... hehehehe... more more...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Regarding your first meet with Nicole - Oh, that's rich. The image of that is going to stay with me all day. :D

Keep going - sounds like the start of another widely-read story hour! Well, limited series, that is. :)

Urbanmech

Explorer
I was going to say something witty about wanting to be included like Dinkeldog but I just can't think of anything. I just hope he includes the names for some of the poems Nemmerle thought up during our game.

More please. :D

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I will be posting my own GEN CON report on my site in the next few days. . .

Too hung over right now .. . Half a bottle of wine on an empty stomach after a near full day of traveling. . . .

But life is good . . .

Oh, and it was great meeting the folks from the boards - esp. those I hung out with the most: Dinkle Dog, Dr. Doom, Urbanmech, Bertman and Halma. .

Oh, and not to mention my freaky wrestling snoring card-playing room-mates: eatenmyeyes and orco42 :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Friday: Another 6:30 am wake-up, breakfast at a Dunkin donuts that only makes mediocre coffee - who knew it was possible? - and then straight to the Arena! I started out running the Star Wars Classic event "Light & Dark", featuring 15th lvl characters and a whole lotta prestige classes. I... err... had never run a Star Wars game before. I borrowed Gospog's copies of the new rules and the Dark Side handbook (thanks, Tom!), so I wasn't TOTALLY unprepared, but I definitely depended on the players for a few rules calls. The game was a delight, and Morrus's friend Al wandered by just as I managed to tempt 4 of the 6 PCs into accepting Dark Side points. Ahhh, sweet bliss. We ran long, but it was so worth it.

The players' response to the high level SW characters was delightful, by the way; they cheered! It was a cinegraphic game, as I tried to describe camera shots and cut scenes. I think it worked.

Grabbing gross con food for lunch - exactly how many nasty over-priced hot dogs can I eat, anyways? The answer is one - I went on to judge the fun Grand Masters D&D game. It was a moderately silly game with intelligent (and classed) animals for PCs, but the players were superb, and used really good tactics. I got to roleplay my butt off, and I hardly hurt my throat at all doing goblin impressions.

After the game, I headed over to George Webb with Quartermoon. Mmmm, greasy food, and good service for the first time in five years! Then off to the ENnies, where there was already a huge crowd gathered.

I've seen Morrus look better; as anyone who occasionally does public speaking will tell, the period before you speak is never fun. He and Eric had some great photos taken, though, including one of them holding the "hot Italian beef!" sign from the adjacent concession stand. I hooked up with the FDP guys, and we traded nervous jokes while we waited.

Tomorrow: ENnie amusement, the best thing about the WW/FFG party, and the EN Board CoC game!

Last edited:

Remove ads