Piratecat's storyhour reborn! (updated July 4, 2006)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Part 6: The Circle of Life

“And what a body,” murmured Nolin.

“Shut up, Nolin,” said Shara under her breath.

A tall woman with long black hair and a cruel, beautiful face stood before them. She gesticulated as she spoke, her long red fingernails clacking when she moved her hands. “I don’t know what I’m doing in this body. This isn’t how reincarnation generally works. I’d rather be with my Goddess. But one moment I was staring at fire, and the next I was waking up in a lean-to surrounded by kobolds.” She made a face and spat with disdain. “Kobolds!”

“Did you kill them?” asked Velendo.

“No,” said Raevynn. “I was too confused. I just got up and left. They didn’t wake up.” She wrinkled her nose. “I stink like whale vomit and flowers. There’s too much flesh on this body, in inconvenient places. I’m the wrong damn race, human instead of half-elf. And look at this clothing. Do you call this practical?” She turned, and the skimpy dress revealed more skin than fabric. Nolin swallowed.

“No?” he hazarded.

“Exactly!” snapped Raevynn. “No armor at all. I even found a bag of spell components in her -- my pouch. And how I’m supposed to do anything with these fingernails is beyond me. They’re actually sharpened. And unless I miss my guess, I think they’re poisoned as well.”

“Really?” asked TomTom, his eyebrows rising. He stepped closer and examined them carefully while Raevynn impatiently held out her hands. Finally he stepped back, his face blank. “Yup, poisoned, and a nasty one too.”

“Charming,” said Raevynn, drawing the word out. “So I’m in the body of some kobold-loving pampered woman who’s also a nasty piece of work.”

Nolin squinted at her. “When you say kobold-loving. . .”

Raevynn just met his gaze and held it until Nolin winced. “I have no idea.”

“Still," said Nolin, "ick.”

“I’m going to go bathe,” Raevynn announced, “and pray. But considering how I feel right now, mostly to bathe. I have no idea where this body has been.”

Nolin snickered quietly. “I could hazard a guess,” he said, but Raevynn was already out the door.

Shara glared. "Living dangerously," she commented.

“All right,” announced Velendo once Raevynn had definitely gone. “As far as we can tell, Raevynn got reincarnated into someone else’s body. We think she’s a sorceress, we don’t know her old name, and a bunch of kobolds were traveling with her. The kobolds are still out there. I miss anything?”

“She was probably evil,” said Kiri. “I know it’s not certain, but the poison fingernails are tacky enough to suggest it.”

“And the clothing and hair and cosmetics and perfume,” said Shara. “It appears that evil has no fashion sense whatsoever.”

“Hey, I’m not evil!” said Tao.

“I know, dear,” said Kiri, “but your lack of fashion sense is the spiky-armor-and-multiple-longswords kind. Her lack of fashion sense seems to have been the cheap nasty slutty hang-around-on-bone-thrones-in-dungeons-and-cackle-madly kind.”

“Oh. That’s okay, then.”

Velendo scowled. “Focus, people. We don’t know why Galanna chose to do this, but who can fathom the ways of Gods?” He shot a suspicious look up towards the heavens. “Not me, that’s for sure.” His voice was particularly loud, as if wanting to make sure that anyone listening in could hear him. “But what do we do about it, if anything?”

“Go after the kobolds,” said Valdek. “They’ll know who she was.”

“Seems reasonable to me,” said Tao. “I’ll be able to find their track.”

“Tomorrow?” asked Velendo.

“Tomorrow,” said TomTom, and they headed to bed.

-- o --

“Mistress!” The stocky kobold abased himself at Raevynn’s feet. The other three groveled even more enthusiastically, as if competing to see who could be the most servile.

Raevynn shot a questioning look over her shoulder at the rest of the Defenders standing far behind her. Nolin gave a sharp nod and wagged his hands at her. She shrugged and looked back at the kobolds.

“Stop that!” Raevynn said.

“Of course, wise mistress!” The kobold immediately started licking Raevynn’s toes instead. She kicked him in the face out of pure reflex. He rolled backwards and looked up pathetically. “Pakkik is sorry he offended, wise mistress. Tell Pakkik how he can make you happy. Does his blood please you?”

“Yes,” said Raevynn darkly.

“Oh. That’s. . . oh.” Pakkik’s looked appalled but valiantly tried to hide it. The other three kobolds writhed in the dust with even more enthusiasm, perhaps hoping that Raevynn wouldn’t notice them just so long as they didn’t stop worshipping her.

Raevynn’s voice was like a whip. “Pakkik, who am I?”

“You are the mistress, Mistress! You are the keeper of dark secrets! You are the delver of the forbidden monstrosities! You are she who loves the darkness and takes the darkness as lover, she who taints the pure, she who --“

Raevynn raised an eyebrow and pointed one red fingernail down at her impractically pointy shoe. Pakkik immediately stopped babbling. He had been well trained.

“My name, Pakkik.”

“Pakkik is not permitted to call mistress by her given name, Mistress.” He sounded pitiful. “Mistress told Pakkik that she would strangle him with his own intestines if he did.”

Raevynn rolled her eyes. “Now Mistress will strangle Pakkik with his own intestines if he does not say her real name.”

“Oh.”

“Pakkik, don’t make me ask again.” Her poisoned fingernails began to click against one another.

“Siphrenia! Mistress’s real name is Sirphrenia Venomheart! And a good name it is,” he assured her cringingly, “one that many people fear. Especially all the people Mistress has killed.”

“Is that many, Pakkik?”

The kobold perked up. “Many many, mistress! And Pakkik has helped. Mistress makes her lovers sleep after the bouncing and breeding, and then Pakkik and his brothers sneak out from underneath the bed with their flesh-razors, and mistress watches as we…”

Raevynn’s scimitar flashed, and Pakkik’s head bounced across the clearing. His last expression was definitely not one of surprise.

Raevynn straightened up, and her voice was like icy rain. “Minions, we’re going to have a contest to see who can answer the most questions. When we’re done, the winner gets to flee from this clearing, untouched by sword and spell.”

The remaining kobolds almost fell over themselves to give her information.

And true to her word, the last kobold had almost a minute’s head start before Raevynn shifted into a dire wolf and went after it.

-- o --

“Worshipper of Orthyss,” snarled Raevynn. “Lackey to those damn forest gnomes! I wish Galanna had found me a better body.” Her fingernails clicked as she flicked one against the other.

“I think you’re being ungrateful,” said Velendo. “Think about it. They killed you and destroyed your body. Galanna found you a perfectly good one, and removed an enemy of the faith at the same time.”

“I suppose so,” said Raevynn. “But I’d like the opportunity to thank the Orthites in person. We know where this Temple of Abominations is located?”

“Roughly,” said TomTom. “We know where the forest is, at least. I’m not expecting a warm welcome. We found some nasty things in those gnome tunnels, such as manacles that can merge two normal creatures into one monstrosity. I expect more of the same.”

“This is what Galanna created me for,” said Tao. She stood up and effortlessly spun a sword in one hand. “Rofan’s funeral is tonight, and tomorrow we leave. We should probably burn Raevynn’s old body as well. That okay with you, Raevynn?”

“My body?” Her tone was startled. “I… I think I want to see it. You don’t often get the chance to see yourself dead. I want to remember what they did before we have them pay for all their sins.”

-- o --

The chamber was dark and misty. The forest gnome knelt on the damp stone and pressed his forehead into the ground. Pickett’s assistant didn’t dare look up.

“So these creatures are coming. Galanna worshippers. To challenge me. How droll.”

The voice sounded amused, but it still sent terror flitting up and down the gnome's spine. He felt his tiny bladder let loose involuntarily.

“We’ll be ready for them.”

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
shilsen said:
Piratecat, here's a question - what exactly was going on with Raevynn being reincarnated in the new body? Was there any particular mechanical reason for it or were you just using it for flavor? Or something else altogether?
Honestly, at first I kind of felt like a jerk. New player to our group, at his first game - and if the failed massive damage save hadn't killed the PC, the -11 hit points would have.

I mean, dang. Welcome to the group, here's your complementary corpse.

I wanted a method for bringing her back that was more interesting than being raised by the cleric of another god - and more importantly, more self sufficient. There's a certain psychological value in first impressions. I didn't want Raevynn to be immediately pigeon-holed as "the frail heroine who has to depend on other people for her healing." That wasn't her style. Velendo was able to bring her back anyways -- so maybe I could do it with more style?

In game terms, it was easy to rationalize; Raevynn had been given a task to cleanse the cult of Orthyss, and she simply hadn't finished yet. No way was Galanna going to let her off the hook that easily.

So I hit on the reincarnation, something that fit perfectly well into Galanna's ethos and could be both a punishment and a reward at the same time. I was reading the new 3e reincarnation spell and thinking, "It produces an adult body to replace the old one? Where the heck does the new body come from?" The obvious answer is "from a currently living person who has sinned against God." That was too good not to use, especially because it added fun plot hooks while making the "free" reincarnation not necessarily a blessing. Everybody won: I got great plot hooks to torment inspire the character with, and Raevynn got fun roleplaying hooks. Win-win.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Piratecat said:
Honestly, at first I kind of felt like a jerk. New player to our group, at his first game - and if the failed massive damage save hadn't killed the PC, the -11 hit points would have.

I mean, dang. Welcome to the group, here's your complementary corpse.

I wanted a method for bringing her back that was more interesting than being raised by the cleric of another god - and more importantly, more self sufficient. There's a certain psychological value in first impressions. I didn't want Raevynn to be immediately pigeon-holed as "the frail heroine who has to depend on other people for her healing." That wasn't her style. Velendo was able to bring her back anyways -- so maybe I could do it with more style?

In game terms, it was easy to rationalize; Raevynn had been given a task to cleanse the cult of Orthyss, and she simply hadn't finished yet. No way was Galanna going to let her off the hook that easily.

As soon as I read the update I knew that was the reason why you did it - but my question is, did you discuss it with Raevynn's player first? Just b/c I know I have at least a couple of players who would not want "special treatment" regardless of the circumstances and would have preferred to make a new character, or follow the letter of the rules and would feel cheated otherwise (in fact, I might be one of those ;)).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
el-remmen said:
Did you discuss it with Raevynn's player first? Just b/c I know I have at least a couple of players who would not want "special treatment" regardless of the circumstances and would have preferred to make a new character, or follow the letter of the rules and would feel cheated otherwise (in fact, I might be one of those).
Wow, good point.

The game had ended after the gnome was killed. During the next week, I asked Raevynn's player "You still like the character? You still want to play her?" The answer was a resounding yes. So I asked him to trust me to do something fun, and he said sure. The reincarnation itself (and the plot hooks that went along with it) were a surprise.

Note that she still lost a level from dying and I don't believe her ability scores changed appreciably, so this was probably more of a 'plot and special effects' change than a mechanical one. I'd have been a lot more hesitant to stick her into a worse form, like a kobold's body, without having the player on board. Nothing is worse than a DM arbitrarily messing with your character concept without your permission.

I may be misremembering, though (and something tells me that I'm forgetting something important.) I'll ask the player.

Last edited:

Tremere

First Post
Piratecat said:
TomTom's psionics were tricky to convert until we got the PsiHB drafts. I think we sort of faked it, combining 2e psionics with 3e classes. It wasn't pretty, but it got us through.
PCat is being modest - TomTom's psionics were enough to drive us both to drink! Often. :)
I am pretty sure his abilities went through at least 8 major overhauls to true him up and even out his power across the playtesting and conversions.
A random thought about TomTom's psyche - I recall a young first level halfling rogue feeling very useless next to Arcade's magic and the group's muscle. TomTom decided that every detail was useful and important - at some point. (Now or far in the future.) He began accumulating miscellaneous items - some treasure, some just unusual - in hopes of future use, and would pull them out if it seemed the situation warranted.
Even if it had been over a year since PCat gave him that magic ball of twine. ;)

Piratecat said:
Everybody won: I got great plot hooks to torment inspire the character with, and Raevynn got fun roleplaying hooks. Win-win.
I have a very fond memory of Raevynn's player flicking his fingers in annoyance at the "claws" during that first night. An affectation that survived for years in role-play and allowed the characters to know instantly whenever Raevynn was annoyed at any given situation.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane PCat!!! (Hi to all!)

clockworkjoe

First Post
I finally finished up the White kingdom campaign on piratecat.org but I'm confused as to the current state of events. Has PC continued past the conversation with the converted mind flayer elder brain Dawn or not? What's the order of the current posts?

Dirigible

Explorer
Raevynn’s scimitar flashed, and Pakkik’s head bounced across the clearing. His last expression was definitely not one of surprise.
Genius. This tells me pretty much everyhting I need to know about Sirphrenia with economy of language. :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
clockworkjoe said:
I finally finished up the White kingdom campaign on piratecat.org but I'm confused as to the current state of events. Has PC continued past the conversation with the converted mind flayer elder brain Dawn or not? What's the order of the current posts?
That's right, the discussion of what was going on disappeared with the board crash.

I wrote up the encounter with the mindflayers and then pretty much stopped writing for nine months. The game, however, proceeded (and proceeds) apace. When I started writing again, I was finding the concept of writing up the backlog to be pretty daunting. So I decided to do something sneaky:

1. Write a few old adventures that had never been documented (and giving new readers an easy entry)

2. Start a post-a-day of the Eversink and White Kingdom story arcs, editing and expanding as I went (especially for the early stuff.)

3. Use that time to gain a backlog of catching up to the actual, current game. There's some really fun things that have happened that I'm looking forward to sharing.

I figure a post-a-day will give me enough time to write it up, while still (hopefully) keeping people amused in the mean time. I have one more adventure (about 2-3 sessions worth) to write up before we get to Eversink, and a lot of the Eversink material will get polished. I glossed over quite a bit of the fun stuff initially.

clockworkjoe

First Post
Piratecat said:
That's right, the discussion of what was going on disappeared with the board crash.

I wrote up the encounter with the mindflayers and then pretty much stopped writing for nine months. The game, however, proceeded (and proceeds) apace. When I started writing again, I was finding the concept of writing up the backlog to be pretty daunting. So I decided to do something sneaky:

1. Write a few old adventures that had never been documented (and giving new readers an easy entry)

2. Start a post-a-day of the Eversink and White Kingdom story arcs, editing and expanding as I went (especially for the early stuff.)

3. Use that time to gain a backlog of catching up to the actual, current game. There's some really fun things that have happened that I'm looking forward to sharing.

I figure a post-a-day will give me enough time to write it up, while still (hopefully) keeping people amused in the mean time. I have one more adventure (about 2-3 sessions worth) to write up before we get to Eversink, and a lot of the Eversink material will get polished. I glossed over quite a bit of the fun stuff initially.

Thanks for the quick response. I loved the White Kingdom campaign. I've spent the last three days reading from beginning to end. It's the type of campaign I strive to reach for and it's great to see how you integrate both tactical gaming and role playing at the same time. I never got the impression you pulled your punches or ignored the drama. Too many players think that a campaign can only be combat or drama and I use this as proof to show them that they're wrong. I'm stealing several parts for my high level campaign and I hope I can capture the same epic feeling your campaign really had.

The things I really liked and will use in my campaign:

Chain polymorph cast by master transmuter, ambushing the PCs.

The Defenders of Daybreak: one theme in my campaign is the impact adventurer parties have in society so I'm introducing several NPC parties helping or opposing the PCs. I'll introduce a lower level of the defenders and see how they treat the PCs.

Thruk: I already have a crawling head as a villain so now I have a backstory for him.

The Helm of Hive Mind: Great idea for an artifact so I'll put it in at some point.

But I have a few questions:

1. What rules do you use for Stone Bear? A hand to hand oriented shaman with spirit advisors is neat and I want to look at them.

2. I'm probably going to introduce a mind flayer city at some point. Did you get the mind flayer city defenses from somewhere or did you make them up? If so, did you post the stats somewhere?

Craer

First Post
clockworkjoe said:
What rules do you use for Stone Bear? A hand to hand oriented shaman with spirit advisors is neat and I want to look at them.

As far as I remember, Stone Bear is a second level Shaman from Oriental Adventures, and then has several levels of Monk and Sacred Fist. I'm not sure how the 3.5 revision has changed his character, but I once borrowed his character build for a one-shot game, and it kicked huge quantities of butt. His spirits are class features.

Remove ads