Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
What did they need to hit her sword, P-Kitty? Adamantine and Magic?

We're still under 3.0 rules at this point, I think. So Stone Bear's hands are something like +6 equivalent (counting all his Sacred Fist bonuses).

I don't know if Piratecat has yet worked out what their equivalence will be under 3.5...

Stone Bear has Improved Unarmed Strike, Eagle Claw Strike, Power Attack, Sunder (now called Improved Sunder in 3.5, which allows me to Sunder without AoO), and Improved Sunder (from Sword and Fist, which doubles sunder damage-- which I presume under 3.5 rules would be called "Greater Sunder.").

For all that, I'm not sure he's any better at sundering than Galthia. Galthia gets to ignore like 9 or 10 points of hardness, but doesn't (to my knowledge) add any extra damage. So it's a situational thing as to whose sunder is more effective.

Stone Bear also has Cleave, Great Cleave, and Cleave Asunder-- which means that I can interchangeably cleave people, weapons, or both. Theoretically I can smash a weapon and carry through into the wielder with a cleave. I could, surrounded by foes, cleave through all of their weapons and then carry on into the foes themselves... As long as whatever I hit is killed or destroyed, I can cleave the next target.

This particular aspect of the character has yet to see "screen time," but I am biding my time!

Wulf

Piratecat said:
No. She used the psionic power of regression to turn back time to right before she first attacked, then (not wanting a repeat of the sword-breaking fiasco) she exited stage left.

Thus, the fight never technically occurred. The reason that some people remembered it is because, to be blunt, they made their saving throws.

But Halcyon remembers them. No doubt she'll want to settle old business once she's dealt with some of the upstarts trying to claim Imbindarla's power.

Three things coe to mind.

1. Next time she comes around she will have to be much more careful. The solar has passed along the information and Calphas should be smart enough to know that a Lawful Evil Goddess of Undeath who wants to use the dead as a personal army of conquest would be very bad.

2. Memorizing or getting a wand of true strike would be a very good idea. Someone doing nothing but casting True Strike on the Solar is probably the best way to actually do damage to a demi-god. That or smacking her over the head with V's shield and sending her to the center of the planet.

3. That Pit fiend better take notice. A standard 3.5 PF would get eaten for lunch by the Defenders. I fully expect the Pit Fiend not to offer straight up battle again like she did last time.

KidCthulhu

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
3. That Pit fiend better take notice. A standard 3.5 PF would get eaten for lunch by the Defenders. I fully expect the Pit Fiend not to offer straight up battle again like she did last time.

The trick with the Pit Fiend was not so much that we couldn't take her. We could. But only on the Prime. And then she'd just be back the next day, and the next, ad nauseum.

The DoD, fully primed and buffed, could take a standard issue Pit Fiend (Not that PC is going to give us anything as pedestrian as a standar Pitty). But we can't take one while carrying an undead spell load and while we're coming under daily undead attack.

Thus the desire not to start anything with our evil Yenta.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
KidCthulhu said:

Gah. Now I'm getting mental crossovers from A Shoggoth of the Roof.

"A shoggoth on the roof- sounds crazy. No, certifiably insane! But you might say that here in our little town of Arkham, Massachusetts, you might say every one of us has a Shoggoth on the roof. And I'm not speaking metaphorically."

Byakhee Byakhee fly me through space....

BSF

Explorer
Piratecat said:
No. She used the psionic power of regression to turn back time to right before she first attacked, then (not wanting a repeat of the sword-breaking fiasco) she exited stage left.

Thus, the fight never technically occurred. The reason that some people remembered it is because, to be blunt, they made their saving throws.

But Halcyon remembers them. No doubt she'll want to settle old business once she's dealt with some of the upstarts trying to claim Imbindarla's power.

Heh, but what if the DoD find a way to trump her politically with the greater Divinities. I know I would try to do that if I were in their place. Not sure how I would try, but I would definitely put some effort into thinking it through. :)

Jobu

First Post
FINALLY I can post!!!!! Sorry some of this is so late in response

Ok, first thing - thanks to those of you who would like the chance to play Tao. She is my first D&D character (EVER) and is more fun to play then any other character I've ever played. Course I'm biased. Having Cleric, Wizzie, Psion, and Druid spells, nice Attack bonus, Spell like abilities, Damage Reduction, AND a couple hit points all make for a fun character to play. Then you add in the attitude and the chaotic tendancies and you're ready to go piss some people off :)
And on that note I have a few words about Halcyon......most of which I can't say in front of Eric's Grandmother. Of all the PC's and NPC's ever in PC's game I don't know if there have been many that got up Tao's nose as much as Halcyon. When the Cave went black and white - with no gray ANYWHERE Tao actually hid on the far side of the tower roof momentarily. Trying desperately to find some chaos......something NOT LAWFUL!!! So - kicking Teliaz through the Gate was more to piss Halcyon off then to save Teliaz. I certainly look forward to a next meeting between Tao and "Her Holy Evil Stick-up the Butt" (no offense Claris).

Hammerhead

Explorer
KidCthulhu said:
The trick with the Pit Fiend was not so much that we couldn't take her. We could. But only on the Prime. And then she'd just be back the next day, and the next, ad nauseum.

The DoD, fully primed and buffed, could take a standard issue Pit Fiend (Not that PC is going to give us anything as pedestrian as a standar Pitty). But we can't take one while carrying an undead spell load and while we're coming under daily undead attack.

Well, if Yenta is actually called to the prime, instead of being Astrally Projected, she can be killed. Or at least banished for a really long time, depending on your cosmology.

Anyway, couldn't Agar use a Planar Binding spell to eventually call Yenta, lock her with a Dimensional Anchor to prevent escape, and then laugh as the rest of the Defenders destroy her? Calling a devil to destroy it seems perfectly acceptable to me?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hammerhead said:
Anyway, couldn't Agar use a Planar Binding spell to eventually call Yenta, lock her with a Dimensional Anchor to prevent escape, and then laugh as the rest of the Defenders destroy her? Calling a devil to destroy it seems perfectly acceptable to me?

In theory that could work.

On the other hand, it's fraught with peril above and beyond the usual old humdrum "I'm going to get eaten by a lord of hell" type of danger. Pit fiends are creatures of hierarchies and law, right? And she's clearly not acting as yenta for her own health and amusement. Destroying her could easily cause more problems than it solves, especially when she doesn't necessarily seem to be gunning for the PCs otherwise. She could be anyone's friend, and her place in the puzzle isn't known.

Really, the disturbing question is: who would want to use a pit fiend as a messenger/enforcer, and why would she accede to such a job? Killing her without knowing that is a definite gamble.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Well sure, it's got its flaws, but as Wulf says...

"There's no problem you can't solve with a big enough pile of dead bad guys."

:) I think the Modrons are behind it all.

Grog

First Post
Great update as usual, Piratecat.

If you don't mind, I had a question about the part of the campaign that took place in Sigil (it doesn't seem to be covered in the early years story). I noticed that, in the Eversink portion of the story, even though there was a lot of politics and role-playing, there was also a fair amount of combat. I was wondering if the same was true in Sigil? And if so, what sort of things did the Defenders fight? For that matter, how long were the Defenders in Sigil?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases