Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
“First things first. I’ll cast magic circle of protection, and everyone should plan to stay within ten feet of me. That way our brains won’t squirt out our ears.”

“Good plan.” Priggle looks discomfited. “But I’ll have to scout ahead.”

“You’ll get one of your own, Priggle. You’re too important to lose.”

The deep gnome looks slightly mollified by this vote of confidence, and Velendo casts his spells. Agar immediately gets a horrified look on his face. “Aaah!”

“What?”

“Umm. . . I’m not sure how to tell you this, but you hear that buzzing noise in our brains? It’s some sort of mental energy that’s breaking down our protection spells.”

Velendo’s bald head snaps up. “What, already?”

The alienist nods. “Not right away, but pretty steadily. The protection from evil will be gone within a minute or two. Priggle’s is breaking down, too.” He swallows. “I can’t begin to tell you how unhappy this makes me.”

Galthia looks at him with a hint of worried humor, almost a first for the githzerai. “Oh, I can begin to tell you.”

“I better get moving.” Priggle slides into the darkness ahead. His telepathic voice whispers back, slightly crackly and hard to understand from psionic static. “I’m now about sixty feet ahead of you, heading downhill. There’s a huge cliff ahead, but the ground drops away before then. I’ll see what’s ahead.”

Priggle sneaks away, sliding through the deep shadow like a wraith. “I’ve just passed the last of the trees. The stone dips down here, and there’s a bridge with some dark fluid on either side. I can’t see into those dark holes yet but I can hear liquid. Hang on. . . Okay. The water – or whatever it is - is black, viscid and greasy; it looks like there’s tendrils in it. It sounds like blood dripping, and smells horrible. I think it's steaming a little.” His mental voice is phlegmatic, as if this sort of thing happens to him all the time.

Mara’s face twists. “Did you say tendrils?”

Agar perks up. “This gets better all the time.”

“Don’t investigate it!” Velendo is emphatic over the mindlink. “We don’t need it trying to eat you, or something horrible like that.”

Priggle’s voice becomes almost mournful as he replies. “It probably wouldn’t even like how I taste. No one ever does.” He takes a second to rethink his comment before continuing. “I’ll wait for you here while you catch up. There’s something down there near the base of the bridge. It looks like a big walking brain. Like if you took a person and replaced their flesh with brain. It has legs.”

Galthia tries to clarify. “It’s a brain shaped into the form of a humanoid?”

“Yes.”

Agar looks ill. “Wonderful.”

“Maybe we can tell it to let us pass, and that we won’t cause any more damage.”

“I’m not so sure that’ll help, Velendo.” Agar rubs his chin. “I wonder if that’s what is powering all this psionic energy.” They begin moving towards it.

“Is it a construct?” asks Mara.

Velendo thinks about it. “Maybe it’s a brain golem?” Everyone rolls their eyes at that possibility.

They move carefully forward across the sticky stone, making sure that they can’t easily get knocked into the river of fluid nearby. Ahead of them they can hear the same sort of terrible keening that had disappeared when Tao turned all of the flesh sculptures into trees. “Waaaaaaaaaaeeeeoo.” The sound skitters across the stone, burrowing into synapses and triggering headaches.

Velendo sighs. “This is horrific. This is the grossest place we’ve been.”

“You always say that.” Nolin blinks. “Hey! Are you suddenly finding it easier to see?” He looks up and sees a light source on the ceiling swaying downwards towards them. To the bard it looks almost as if a drop of clear syrup was dribbling from a pitcher – only the blob of syrup is greenish-white, the size of a large cow, and shedding a pale illumination as it dribbles downwards from the roof above.

“That’s a blob of gel-like ectoplasm,” identifies Galthia. “They can use it to kill, capture, or simply illuminate.” Mara uses her radiant knight abilities to channel the sun. Even as the sunlight bolsters the group’s armor, Agar can’t help but notice that their circle of protection is falling and their mindlink has been pierced in five or six places by inquisitive psionic feelers.

“We’re being listened to,” warns the halfling. “I can’t drop the mindlink, so just be aware that we’re compromised.”

“Let’s hope they can’t read minds through that thing,” hazards Velendo in a vain fit of optimism. “We should probably wait here and see if the bridge-thing or the ceiling-thing do anything.”

Priggle’s voice sounds wearily in their heads. “Then I’ll just stay here with the oozing ectoplasm.”

“Nah, we’re coming for you, Priggle. First, though, that damn keening is giving me a headache.” Nolin tries to counter the tuneless song that keeps getting underneath their fingernails and eyelids. He isn’t especially successful.

Velendo focuses his attention outwards and thinks over the mindlink, “I know you’re listening to this. All we want to do is pass through and not cause any more trouble.” His voice is resigned, knowing that he isn’t going to have any success. “If you just let us go, that will be best for everyone. If you launch any kind of ambush or attack, in the best case for you a lot of you are going to die. But we don’t want any of that. We just want to pass through.”

The flat response comes unexpectedly. “Greetings. You have healing magics available.”

Velendo raises his eyebrows, surprised. “Are you asking me or telling me?” Nothing. “Do you need healing?”

“Answer the question.”

“Why does it matter to you? I’d like to answer, but not if you’re going to use the information for some plot to hurt us.” He can feel something squirming around in his brain as the voice speaks; not taking residence, but there none the less.

He makes a noise in exasperation. “Answer the question,” suggests Agar at his elbow.

“Yes, I have healing magic.”

“You heal us and you may pass freely, despite what we have said before.”

“And how do I know you aren’t lying?” There is no answer. “What are you suffering from?”

The powerful mental voice tastes like aluminum in his brain. “You will see.”

“And what will you do after I heal you, assuming that I do?”

Malachite’s voice is worried as he breaks in. “Velendo, we can’t make a promise untiil we know. . .”

“I will allow you to pass freely.”

“And what then?”

“Seal the way behind you.”

Silence. Then Velendo whispers hopefully to the Defenders, “That’s not necessarily a bad thing.”

Malachite nods his head. “Not if we’re being followed. Which we are.”

Velendo thinks of the obvious loophole. “All of us? Or just me?”

“There is one amongst you who belongs to us.”

The cleric responds flatly. “No deal.”

There is a long pause. “We will consider.”

Meanwhile, Agar notices that the brainlike guardian of the bridge in psionically intertwined with the bridge itself. “Either the bridge disappears when that thing dies, or the brain golem can probably take the bridge down,” he points out in concern.

By now the shining drop of ectoplasm has descended to nearly forty feet above them, and is bouncing slightly as it sheds greenish-white light. Velendo tries to ignore it. “Well, we don’t intend to cross the bridge.” He focuses back on the mind link. “While you’re considering, what is your relationship with the forces of undead down here?”

“You have already been informed of that.”

“We've been told two different things at different times. So no, we don’t have any solid information either way.”

“Reveal.” There is an interogative in Velendo’s mind. Velendo mentally responds.

“We have some evidence that there is an elder brain who has been turned to undead, and that would lead us to believe that all the mindflayers are controlled by undead or even are undead. On the other hand, we know that the mindflayers fought against the undead, and at least one mindflayer has told us that you fought off the ghouls successfully and are now defending this area. We don’t know which report is true.”

“The infection has been contained, but must be reversed.”

“Is that what you want me to heal?”

“Indeed.”

Agar taps his finger against his chin as he muses. “An undead elder brain. . .”

Like smaller crystals off a larger chandelier, lesser blobs of solidified thought are dribbling down from the dangling blob of ectoplasm. Those smaller drops of fluid are glowing as well.

Galthia suspiciously manifests combat prescience, sensing the weak spots of the people around him, even as Velendo responds to the voice on the mindlink.

“My inclination is to help you. Our primary enemy right now, the ones we are focused on, are the undead. That is the reason that any of our number staying behind is *not* negotiable. We need them to continue fighting the undead after we leave.”

The voice is dismissive. “The undead are contained. They may not pass this way again.”

“The undead are causing other problems for other people, and those problems are our problems.”

“And that is a concern of ours?”

Velendo’s smile is humorless. “It is if you want me to heal you, yes. It seems as if everyone’s problems are intertwined with everyone else’s these days.”

“Your options are heal us and pass, or do not heal us and perish.”

“Well, we can heal you and pass, if all of us pass.” Mara’s musical voice is emphatic.

Malachite nods. “In addition, we can not guarantee that our healing will be successful until we know the nature of the malady. We will certainly attempt a cure, but we can not guarantee success.”

“Indeed.” Pause. Galthia feels something squirming around in his head, and racial memory triggers something close to panic. “You are of the slave race.”

Galthia refuses to answer. He swallows the horrible anger boiling inside of him, refusing to give in to racial instinct.

“Why have you returned here?”

“There are no slaves.”

“Untrue.” He feels it squirming around, trying to find a foothold.

His voice is measured, deceptively calm. “You might as well leave. You will find nothing to grab hold of here.”

“Do you not wish to give yourself willingly?” The mental voice sounds somewhat surprised.

“No githzerai gives himself willingly.”

“Untrue. But you are to be the exception.” It sounds amused.

Velendo’s voice has a core of iron. “He’s under my protection.” His shield thrums in accompaniment.

The mental voice is thoughtful. “If you attempt the healing, and it is unsuccessful, he will be claimed. If you attempt the healing, and it is successful, he may pass as well.”

“No deal.” Malachite’s voice is quiet.

“Then there is no deal.”

“I’m confident,” Velendo tells his companions as he shifts his shield.

“Right. We lose nothing by agreeing, comparitively speaking,” points out Agar. “We should try.” The cleric and both paladins look at him.

“If we agree, we agree. It is not my intention to betray it,” begins Velendo with some heat, but Malachite reaches out a hand to stop him.

“No, Agar’s correct. We can give our best effort. Attempting to heal it and failing is the same as not accepting the offer,” he explains. “It puts us exactly where we are now, under threat of death. We lose nothing by attempting to help.” Other than aiding something evil, he thinks to himself. But he can solve that problem after we finish with the White Kingdom, one way or the other.

A second huge glob of crystallized thought begins to coalesce on the ceiling.

Velendo takes a deep breath and addresses the unseen voice. “I suspect that there are no proofs that you can give that you will keep your word in this. I’m going to trust you anyways and simply warn you that if I heal you and it is successful, and you attempt to prevent us from leaving. . .”

“We did not want you here in the first place. You were informed that you were not allowed. You chose to break through the barriers.” It sounds slightly petulant.

“Yes. We need to pass to the other side. We need to brook as little delay as possible.” One of the little tiny crystal things hits the ground nearby and sizzles slightly; it appears to be made out of translucent fluid-filled stone, and the oozing crystal picks up the sunlight streaming from Mara and reflects it outwards. Mara catches little tiny glimpses of herself in the ectoplasm, almost as if there were thousands of mirror facets within it.

“Proceed.”

To be continued. . .

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
“So we proceed.” Velendo casts a flexible wall to make his own bridge next to the dangerous existing one, and the group slowly crosses over the chasm of fluid.

As he crosses, Galthia glances up at the looming brain-like sentinel. Doing so creates a feeling not unlike an electric shock. Reality tumbles away with a hideous lurch, and Galthia suddenly finds himself in a psionic mindscape. He is perched on the side of a huge underground mountain, arrayed for psionic battle as his flesh is stripped from him and he is reduced to a shimmering entity of willpower and purpose. Ahead of him is the huge creature that dragged him here, the loathsome essence of the brain golem: twelve or fifteen different personalities all crammed into the same body, all aligned to one fell purpose. The mark of the mindflayers is all over this creature, and Galthia senses that one of the interwoven personalities was once a githzerai.

“Oh, lovely.”

And then the brain golem attacks. It uses empathic multiplier, taking Galthia’s own thoughts and rebuilding them, bouncing them from personality to personality to personality before reflecting them back to him ten-fold. The psionic attack shatters the acumen screen he’s quickly constructing from hardened thought, and his broken defenses open him wide to any damaging power that his opponent may choose to manifest. Gasping, the monk drops from the mindscape back into reality.

“We may be about to be attacked.” His normally yellowish skin is pale.

Velendo’s face twists into a mixture of fury and fear. He demands into the mindlink, “An absolute absence of hostility is one part of this deal. Is that understood?”

“Proceed.” The sentinel takes no further offensive actions as the group nears it.

“Is that understood?” Velendo is insistent.

He gets no answer.

“I want a yes. You will not attack us. That is part of the deal!”

The voice in his head sounds like it is belaboring the obvious. “If you know this, why do you ask?”

“I don’t know. I want to hear you say it!”

A hint of superior amusement slips into the toneless voice. We know.”

An exasperated, long-suffering sigh huffs from Velendo. “How shall we pass this creature?”

“Proceed.”

One by one the Defenders cautiously slip past on either side of the brain golem, Malachite being forced to turn sideways in order to squeeze by without touching it. Behind the immobile creature the ground begins to rise into a near-vertical cliff face.

Mara pats Priggle on the back. “Priggle, check it out?” Before he can, Galthia rises upwards with levitation. He sees a series of highlands, and past these he glimpses a huge valley with dozens of giant ectoplasmic tendrils dangling above like candles from a chandelier. In the faint greenish illumination he can see a source of water to the left, and off to the right the cavern bends out of sight a quarter mile away. He seems to be standing in some sort of guard area; more than a dozen indistinct figures float slowly across the highlands, and to Galthia's eye they appear to be levitating illithids.

Below him in the huge valley is nestled an unnatural city.

Stone Bear spirit guide indicates that the correct path is forward, so the rest of the adventurers are ferried up to the rocky highlands by magic or Mara's flying warhorse Luminor. From the heights the group looks down onto the distant roofs of illithid buildings. They sport odd angles, each structure hooked and triangular and round and twisted in ways which are just not attractive. From here, the structures seem to be made from a mixture of stone and crystal fluid. One large dome seems to shine like liquid diamond.

Agar beams at the sight. “Fascinating! This is new and different!”

Mara tears her eyes away in order to give him a look. “They don’t look physically possible, do they? But they must be, because they’re down there and they clearly exist. How could it be otherwise?”

“How indeed.” Galthia leans down to whisper to Agar. “Those buildings? That’s what illithids do to your mind.”

“Eww. Less pleasant.” Still, deep inside Agar still finds this place comforting; there are no insects in sight at all, for example, and that’s a wonderful change. Proty's happy squirming echoes his mood.

From their excellent vantage point, everyone studies the area more carefully. They see liquid dribbling down into a small lake, and Priggle notices at least three illithids observing them dispassionately from hundreds of feet away. Luminescent ceiling globules dangle down over the rooftops, each slightly trembling as if actually alive.

Velendo looks at them distastefully. “Mindflayer suns.”

The heroes descend to the floor of the valley. The ground isn't fully solid. Each person trying to move sinks up to their ankles in some sort of translucent sticky fluid, and as each foot is pulled up from the sucking ground the viscous fluid freezes in place, stretched out in tiny pinnacles and strands for a moment or so before collapsing back down into the ground. Walking is somewhat like trying to navigate deep mud or fresh caramel.

Velendo lifts up one foot and examined the clear strands of fluid dripping from his boot. “Agar, can you check that and make sure the fluid isn’t doing any harm?”

Agar squints his eyes. “Wow, that is fascinating!”

“Can you stop being fascinated by it and actually do something about it!”

“Sorry. It’s some kind of incredible fluid that responds to the steps of anyone who steps in it.” He checks to see what his looks like, and is gratified that it vaguely resembles a burst of octopoidal tentacles. “Look at this! Look at it! It’s a reactive psi print that you leave behind, unique to each individual person!”

Velendo checks his. They look disturbing. As he stands there, the fluid tries to creep up his leg, so the group decides to keep moving. As they slowly proceed across the valley floor, they see dark shapes underneath the solidified ectoplasm. The shapes are a foot or two deep and may easily be rocks or even creatures, each entombed in the fluid like long-dead insects in amber. The fluid bulges in places.

“That’ll be us if we don’t keep moving.” Galthia looks around. It’s clear to him that this area has been the site of numerous fights. The githzerai can see signs of psionic residue where vast mental powers have blasted the buildings and the ground underneath it, along with more traditional signs of battle and the faint stink of ghoul.

Malachite clears his throat. “You know the theory I had that it would take just one surgical strike into the uber-brain in order to infect it with ghoulism? This may have been the vector they came through. I’ve checked; there might be ghouls, but I can’t detect them. It smells old.”

Velendo shakes his head. “Don’t trust everything you are told. This could be a trap.” Squelch, squelch. They continue towards the dome. The hum of psionics is almost constant at this point, a mental constant static that thrums in the back of everyone’s head.

The group intends to stop at the entrance to the crystal dome, but there is no obvious doorway or arch. Then the wall rips open like a wound, separating itself like a mouth with strands of fluid and crystal streaming across it. They watch the strands snap back, and by the time the group gets within thirty or forty feet there is actually a circular door there beckoning them inside.

“Amazing!” Agar’s eyes widen. Velendo’s close with evident pain, and his voice is filled with resignation.

“And that of course will close behind us. This is feeling more and more trap-like all the time. Nevertheless, no hostile actions unless they force them upon us.”

Agar waves the caution away. “This whole thing is psi-active. It responds to conscious thought on a massive scale. Incredible.” To others, however, the walls remind them more of strands of mucous and phlegm, and Mara’s stomach does a slow frontward roll.

“Proceed. We await.”

“How many are there of you?”

“We are all.”

“Ah.”

Squelch. Squelch. Half the group stays outside and the other half enters the dome, stepping into a half-darkness and onto a raised platform. Eight or more illithids float above a pit, but with no visible signal the ceiling irises open and every one of the mind flayers float silently upwards out of sight. Their huge milky eyes gleam with reflected light for just a moment before they move out of sight. Then doorway and ceiling openings both close simultaneously, and the heroes inside the dome are abruptly cut off from any allies.

There’s something in the pit before them.

Lying in a pool of psi-active mucous, glistening with its own faint greenish light, there is a 30’ long pulsing brain. Most of the right-hand side of it goes from pink to almost a greenish black, and the smell of rotting tissue is horrible. Malachite can see short grasping tentacles trying to grow out of the necrotic tissue. They twitch at the approach of life energy.

The psionic background hum drums against their ears. The brain flesh ripples, and the Defenders of Daybreak try to take in what is in front of them.

Velendo shouts mentally to the diseased elder brain. “Is it safe for me to descend and take a closer look?”

“We do not know. We will not purposefully attack you.”

With true seeing active, Agar can see an incessant battle of psionic energy flaring up along the borderline between healthy and diseased brain tissue. There is destruction and creation happening simultaneously.

Velendo has to yell over the noise in his head. “We may be able to help, but we don’t want to risk destroying the ghoulish part yet! I have to probe the extent of the damage, but I’m afraid that I will be attacked. If I am, we’ll have to defend ourselves, but we will try to minimize harm to you.”

“We accept this. It would be unwise of you to attack us.”

“I don’t want to attack you, but there’s - ”

“We are it. This is the problem.”

They see little tiny white things darting around the fluid surrounding the elder brain – a little like tiny baby trilliths. They’re mostly on the healthy side.

“I’ll say it again. There are active pseudopods flailing out from the diseased part of you - ”

“Do not let them touch you. You will cease to be of use to us.”

“What will happen if they touch me?”

“You will cease.”

Velendo rubs his temples. Galthia has a wry expression on his face as he controls his disgust. “Then you won’t be of much use to us, either.”

Agar speaks slowly, thinking hard. “If you get touched by an elder brain that is undead, it will probably just annihilate your brain.” Velendo lets out another frustrated noise, lifts his head reluctantly, and the group begins to formulate a plan.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A dozen strategies are discussed, including Iron body (“If it tries to eat your brain, at least it won’t get far,”) remove disease (“essential,”) and mind blank (“I wish we had this spell!”) The group weighs the risk against their chance of success as they work to determine the best way of healing the massive and quivering elder brain. Unfortunately, they're distracted somewhat by the staring corpses of githyanki and githzerai warriors that are fused into the ectoplasmic wall overhead.

“I wish I didn’t have to prod it in order to determine the damage,” worries Velendo. Small undead tentacles quiver in the rotting flesh below him.

The elder brain thunders a response. “We will attempt to control it. the flesh... has its own life.”

“How long do you think you control it?”

The tone is dismissive. “Unknown.”

Velendo makes a face. “Make a guess. You’re smart.”

“More than you know.”

“You guess you can control it more than we know?” Malachite asks rhetorically.

"Malachite," Velendo murmurs warningly. He turns his attention back to the elder brain. “We know you’re smart, you’re a giant brain. Take a guess! We’re trying to help you here.” As he speaks, the healthy portion at the top of the gelatinous pink brain begins weeping a white mucous-like fluid that dribbles down across the undead tissue. A thrumming psionic pulse like thoughts of broken glass stabs outwards.

“Owwwww!”

Heroes sway, holding their head with both hands. As they pry open watering eyes, they can see that - at least for the moment - the fluid has crystalized. The tentacles are sealed behind a rigid crystal.

"That'll do."

Velendo casts iron body and negative plane protection on himself before flying down into the fluid-filled pool. He fights through some sort of psionic defense as he moves close enough to investigate the rotting tissue. Malachite and Galthia leap down to assist, and the rest of the group readies in case of an attack.

Mara crinkles her nose as they descend into the fluid. “You’re going to jump right down into that mucous? Is that wise?” Malachite glances back at her, eyes communicating that sometimes there are only limited choices. He then refocuses his attention on the rotting brain.

The psychic tides this close to the monster are intense, each unintentional pulse threatening to sweep an unguarded mind away into the distant currents of insanity. Velendo’s poking and prodding reveal some exceptional discoveries. The cleric quickly realizes that an odd effect is occurring; there are visible ripples where the undead flesh and the living flesh repeatedly fight for dominance of the entity.

“I think the undead flesh is trying to corrupt and poison the living flesh, while the living flesh is trying to continually reheal itself.” The rippled skin shudders and twitches beside him. As he looks, the labyrinthine folds of the brain tissue try to twist themselves into screaming human faces.

Malachite’s stomach turns, but his face stays fixed in a mask of worried calm. “A positive energy burst?”

Velendo considers as he talks to himself. “Killing and regenerating the flesh might work. Clearly the main brain can heal it back. Best to chip away at it with lesser healing spells which weaken the undead portion?”

Agar raises a finger in objection. “Except we'd have to touch it.”

“I can heal from a distance,” points out Mara. “Healing should strengthen the healthy part even as it weakens the bad part.” The slurrrrrrping sound from the trembling, massive brain drowns out speech for a moment, and Mara is forced to repeat herself. “Also, I have a bow that can carry spells. We can load healing magic and cure it from a distance.”

Velendo looks at her, shocked. “You’d have to shoot it, Mara!”

She shrugs. “Yes, but one arrow won’t hurt it.”

“I’m not sure it wouldn’t consider that an attack.” He turns his thoughts to the elder brain. “Do you have a name I can use to address you?”

“We are the Master here.”

“Well, Master…”

“I won’t refer to it as that,” says Galthia flatly.

“Semantics aren’t an issue for me at the moment,” chides Velendo. “Master, would you like me to explain to you what we intend to do, or do you already know because you’re familiar with…?” There is a sucking, draining sensation as the plan is lifted whole from Velendo’s mind.

“If you do not hurt our essence, you may proceed.”

Velendo warns it. “We’re about to start to cauterize the wound. This will probably hurt. Try and fight back.”

“That is continual.”

Mara starts by channeling the sun. Healing light pours out of her and splashes onto the diseased aberration. There is an an immediate backlash as the crystalline shell starts to fracture. Tentacles pop out one by one. The psychic recoil pummels everyone, and more than one person inadvertently drops to their knees. Velendo drops back as one of the spindley tentacles swings at him, dripping pus. The undead part starts to steam, and there is a slight shrieking noise.

“What’s that?”

Velendo looks agrim. “A positive sign.” He glances over at Malachite and is horrified to see him swaying back and forth, dangling his hand and drooling slightly. His eyes are dull.

“Malachite? Malachite!”

Malachite is not sure who is talking to him, but they look sort of familiar. Someone asks “Are you thirsty?” Malachite struggles to focus his thoughts and respond. “It’s the thing.. I know this. The thing where we do it all together…”

Mara does another burst of healing sunlight. It screams and twitches. The undead end begins eeling out ganglia, in the same way a wisteria plant puts out sprouts to try and grab onto a climbing pole. The undead flesh is clearly trying to reach for other tissue.

Malachite blinks and shakes his head. “We should…” He snaps his fingers. “…do that thing where we…” He snaps his fingers again, trying to remember. It’s right on the end of his… whatever that thing in his mouth is called.

“I plan to.” Velendo hits the monster with a ranged cure serious wounds. There is squealing and hissing as bad tissue turns to oily steam. Mara heals it again. Between the two of them, the ganglia begin to shrivel. It’s soon clear that roots of diseased flesh have penetrated deep into the healthy brain tissue.

Agar holds up his familiar so that the pseudonatural ball of tentacles can see what’s happening. “What do you think, Proty?” Proty burbles happily. “You’re right, fascinating! Where else are you going to see something like this?” Proty burbles again.

Mara announces, “I’m going to touch it. I have to to remove the disease.”

“Okay, hang on.” Velendo uses a holy power to give her a powerful, temporary resistance to the next thing that attacks her. He then turns to the still-drooling Malachite and casts restoration on him.

“What are you doing!” Malachite’s head snaps up, eyes clear. “What’s going on?” Suddenly he seems normal, if somewhat subdued.

“You were drooling!”

“I wasn’t drooling!” The radiant knight burps and scratches himself. He knows that his intelligence is back to normal. He also knows that something else seems to be gone, some sort of societal reserve. . . but who needed it? Not him, that’s for sure.

Meanwhile, Mara steels herself. “Hey, big brain master! I’m going to come down and touch you to remove disease. It’s not going to hurt the healthy part of you, and hopefully –“

Malachite burps again. “Are you sure you want to touch it? Its going to screw you up.”

Mara pushes the hair out of her face and glances over at him with worry in her eyes. “How do you know that?”

“It said it would!” More quietly he grumbles, “Sometime she can be so damn slow.”

Mara doesn’t hear. “It meant the bad part!”

“They, it, we, whatever.” Malachite trails off with a dismissive shrug.

“Proceed.”

Mara jumps down into the pool of slime. Tadpoles squirm around her. Taking a breath, she touches the immense brain with a remove disease. Energy flows from her hand into it, and Velendo helps by casting a ranged healing spell into the same area. The flesh convulses violently, and there is a squeal like boiling water to accompany the horrible psionic feedback.

Dead flesh is sloughing away from the healthy tissue in chunks, large pieces of rotting pus-filled clumps dropping into the fluid. Agar is looking with true seeing, and it's clear that this is exceptionally painful for the brain. His vision reveals that even as it thrashes psionically, it trying to keep the worst of the psionic spikes away from the group.

Malachite burps again, and Velendo turns to cast heal on him. Suddenly, Malachite feels his self-esteem and manners returning. It’s an odd feeling.

Mara does another remove disease. There is horrible screaming and pulsing. The prayer is clearly burning away roots and ganglia, and a whole section of greenish-black whorls slides off into the fluid. Another healing spell from Velendo burns away more tissue.

He yells over to Mara. “How do you feel after having touched it?

Mara looks back at the old cleric. “Well, kind of gross, really, but I don’t think it did anything to me. It didn’t make my brain explode.” She moves closer to remove disease again.

Malachite’s eyes are bright. “Mara, let me give you protection from evil.” Velendo turns.

“No! Best you stay out of the fight for now. You were acting suspiciously.”

“You were drooling,” offers Mara. She touches the brain with her spell, and the psionic backlash slashes across her consciousness. Unusual thoughts bubble up as internal barriers in her mind melt away. Mara struggles for control.

She staggers back a few paces just as Velendo targets the creature with a powerful healing spell. We’re breaking away the connection, he thinks, creating a impermeable barrier between the live and dead sections of the brain. We’re separating it in such a way that they won’t kill the living elder brain. I hope.

Mara stands there for a moment before she realizes that she can probably ride on the elder brain if she wanted to. It seems so obvious all of a sudden. “I’m going to climb up on you – hold on!”

Velendo spins in horror. “Mara! No, stop!”

“I want to get on the brain!” It’s like a pony, she thinks to herself, only squishier.

Velendo is yelling himself hoarse. “Do not climb on the brain!”

Agar looks down in concern. “Do I bring her back? Proty can do that.”

Mara bridles under Velendo’s unreasonable orders. “Okay, I’ll just give it a big hug, and give it another remove disease.”

“MARA!” Velendo turns to Malachite, frantic. “What’s happening to her is what was happening to you. I don’t know how!”

“Do I send Proty?” asks Agar.

“Do that. She’s become a danger to herself.”

“No, I’m fine. I’m removing disease on him!” And riding him, she thinks. There aren’t enough horses down here. She tries to cast her prayer, but is surprised to find that she can’t; her mind just can’t grasp the force of will necessary to trigger the magical healing.

“Huh. I think it’s not working any more.” She’s now four or five feet up the side of the brain. Malachite moves toward her with the intention of casting dimension door with his cloak, just as Agar casts tentacular guidance on Proty.

Mara clambers another five feet up the side of the brain.

“MARA! Get off the brain!”

“But I’ve got to --”

“You aren’t thinking!”

I am so, too, she thinks indignantly. Giddyap.

Velendo continues. “Do not do what you think you should -- “

“You’re always telling me what to do! It always works out okay!”

Malachite reaches over to touch Mara, and slips on a surface worm smooth by constant brain rubbing. He goes face first into the slime with a sploosh. A tadpole bumps up against one eye.

Velendo clenches his jaw. “I’m not going to get distracted by this. They can handle it. I have two more healing spells left, and I need to make them count.” Galthia watches, poised to protect Velendo if anything attacks him.

“Got her!” calls Agar. “Proty, will you go get Mara? Bring her back.” Proty flies over with wriggling alacrity and fastens himself onto Mara’s back.

While Malachite is down there underwater, he decides to touch the brain and remove disease. After all, nothing happened to him last time he touched it. Unfortunately, like Mara, he can’t summon the force of mind and he surfaces with a gasp.

“It’s not working.”

“Hey, it didn’t work for me, either,” calls down Mara from her perch. “Maybe if we went over to the ghoulish part.”

It’s resisting,” insists Malachite.

“It is? It didn’t resist before!”

“It’s resisting now!”

Agar sighs. “It’s not resisting. They’re both affected.”

Velendo glances up. “By what?”

“Something is reducing their capacity to think, and a heal spell didn’t help.”

Mara frowns. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Then Proty uses an imbued spell to teleport her back to Galthia’s side. “Oh!”

Velendo raises his voice. “I’m planning to use a heal spell, so that it eradicates the remaining flesh without hurting the brain. The undead ridge is still active, putting out tendrils, but the rest of the flesh is dead.”

Malachite struggles to his feet. “I’ll do the burst now.”

"Good," agrees Galthia.

“No!” Velendo is almost at his wits’ end.

“Galthia says to do the burst.” His voice is sly.

“And I say not to! I’m the medic in this operation. Don’t do it.

Malachite’s voice is petulant. “He has more experience with the brain.”

“Yes. He also has more. . “ He searches for the right word. “. .bias. Don’t do it.” Velendo does one more targeted healing, afraid that Malachite might do a burst before he has a chance to finish. One more massive chunk of dead flesh splashes into the fluid. Now the exposed brain tissue is raw and reddish pink, pulsing with cores of greenish-black undead flesh. A hideous groan springs up from the brain tissue.

Mara jumps down to remove disease again, just as Velendo casts mass heal. “This might hurt,” he tells the brain, “but it will help you even as it hurts the other. Use that strength.”

The psionic pressure is intolerable as the spell takes effect. All the walls of the dome splash outwards like a popped bubble, and the group is suddenly exposed to the ceiling of the cavern. The pain from the psionic scream is horrible, but it appears that the spell has burned the last of the undead tissue away.

There’s a huge chunk missing out of the side of the brain. Malachite's mind is now clear as he does a positive energy burst. “Dawn to dusk, he lights our path.” Emerald light spreads outwards in a shimmering cascade. There is hissing and squealing from chunks of undead flesh that were still barely alive. Now all that’s left is three quarters of a pulsing brain, with liquid oozing out of the damaged areas.

Malachite does one more burst. One more bit of tissue bubbles and squirms, and then something falls out of the flesh into the pool. It looks like a length of ghoulish brain ganglia 7” or 8” long. Malachite strides over and kills it himself.

“I’m going to touch you so that it’s easier for the wound to heal.”

"Proceed."

The wounded part scabs over, and the hideous mental pain is gone. “We are free of it. We are missing part of us. Is this something you can fix?”

Velendo considers. “I’ll need fifteen minutes.”

“If we were truly successful,” explains Malachite, “this will not plague you again.” He reaches down a hand to help Mara climb out of the pus.

“We will see if we feel it regrowing. Is there anything you wish?”

“Well, we wish to be allowed to leave as we agreed.” Mara shakes fluid from her armor.

The mental voice pauses. “Two of you are linked. One moment.” There is a shot, sharp spike in the back of Mara’s and Malachite’s heads as something is drawn out of them. “Your touch on my form has broken your brains. I have fixed you.”

Velendo thrums his fingers on his shield. “Is there a way for you to stop that? I’m going to have to touch you again.”

“There is not. I will fix you if you become broken.”

“Well, that’s a consolation.” Velendo sits down on the ledge, and the elder brain turns its scrutiny on the githzerai monk.

“It appears you will not be claimed.” It sounds thoughtful. “You are aware it was your people who did this to me.”

“It is a shame that my people did not finish what they started.” Over the mindlink, everyone yells at Galthia not to provoke it. He ignores them.

“They weakened our defenses. We were no longer able to keep back the undead.”

Galthia thinks to himself, “And it’s all Nolin’s fault for inviting in the githzerai rrakma in the first place.” Out loud, he says “Next time, they will succeed.”

“Interesting you think so. Is that a promise, or a threat?”

Malachite gestures. “What’s the difference?”

“It does not matter.”

“But it does.”

“We have no time for semantics.”

Mara tries to make peace. “Right now, we both have a common enemy.”

“If you return, you will not be pleased by what you find. But that is for another time. You have been true to your word, something which we did not expect. Should that continue to be the case, we will spare you an additional unpleasantness of which you are not aware.” It quivers and pulses, but says nothing more.

Agar pats his familiar. “Good job, Proty.” There is a tentacular squirming from the pseudonatural stirge. “That’s right, little guy. Yes, you’re the real hero here.” Proty squirms in delight and lovingly wraps a pseudopod around Agar's neck.

Velendo prepares regeneration, knowing that casting it is probably going to break his brain. He hesitantly touches the flesh of the Master. When he feels something sliding up into his consciousness, attempting to sever control over his mental facilities, he focuses his will and fights it off easily.

Within a few seconds the flesh he touched begins to bubble. Then it bursts outwards, slowly taking on the same shape it had previously. As this occurs, the level of background psionic power in the room noticeably rises until there is a low-level thrumming.

“The pain is gone from us. We are restored.”

Malacihite smiles. “I killed it, so it won’t be returning.”

“Then you may pass. There may be undead on the other side of the barrier. My perceptions do not extend there.”

Velendo stretches his back. “We will offer you similar information. There are undead that pursue us. We wouldn’t want them to take you by surprise.”

“They will not be able to enter my realm.”

“We did.”

“The wards were not optimized against you. If they do, we will be ready. We have our own resources.”

“This has been a trying day.” Velendo shakes the ectoplasm off of one foot and looks around. “Come on, folks. Let’s go.”

To be continued…

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
andrew_kenrick said:
Were her thoughts spoken in game? I don't think I'd have been able to keep a straight face if I was there.

What makes you think we were keeping a straight face? The thoughts are partially Mara's in game; some of the funnier ones are an amalgam of comments made by the other players at the time.

Another example of selective editing: when the group was warning the elder brain about the undead chasing them, here is how the conversation really went:

---------------------------------------------

Elder brain: “The wards were not optimized against you. If they do, we will be ready."

Velendo: "The undead who follow us may be particularly powerful examples of their kind. they may have abilities you haven't encountered before."

Elder brain: "Your DM had more than eight extremely powerful mind flayers statted up and ready to fight."

Piratecat: "Oh wait! I mean... I mean... uh..."

Elder Brain: We have our own resources.

(disbelieving laughter)

Piratecat (abashed): "I'm sorry, I make that mistake every once in a while. I don't know what I was thinking."

Blackjack: "Yes, the Gods move in mysterious ways."

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
So is there a little sign next to the Elder Brain with a measuring stick:

YOUR INTELLIGENCE MUST BE LOWER THAN THIS TO RIDE THE BRAIN

Jobu

First Post
I was SOOOO sorry I missed this round. I got a call from KidC and PKitty that night - laughing hysterically about Mara riding an Elder Brain. *sigh* ....and I moved away.

BUT...............back on the surface the fun keeps a comin for our former Defenders. Picture the scene: Tao, Raevyn, Altethia (Knights of the Horn), Citadel of the Horn, angry mob of farmers and peasants with pitch forks and torches. They are coming to burn down the Citadel in revenge for Galanna killing Imbindarla and causing the death and destruction happening on the surface. Are they mind controlled? Are they going to be easily swayed? Are they going to be crispy critters really soon? Let's look at Raevyn and Tao's diplomacy skills.........wait, I'm still trying to find them.......Nope - none to speak of.
So the only question is do the Knights of the Horn start with talking or an Acid Storm? Should be interesting.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Next? Well, Mara and the brain pony enter the local big horse race, and are the come from behind winners. It's a tearful, feel good moment, as the beautiful paladin and the plucky brain beat out teams of much bigger horses, whose jockeys and owners all look down on them and belittle their dreams.

At the very end, as they stand triumphant in the Winners Circle, flashbulbs popping and reflecting off the giant silver trophy and Mara's tears of joy, she looks down at the brain, pats it affectionately and says "That'll do, Brain. That'll do."

I cried. It was that beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Just a quick update right now in the form of a vision from Agar. I'll have two or three big updates this next week, but they need more polishing. You'll see the first on Monday, then Wednesday, then Friday.

--------------------------

You are Agar. You turn away from the elder brain, and another vision crashes into your mind. This is a vision of the present, and suddenly you leave your body far behind.

As you tumble through mist, you can hear it: the whistle of arrows, the dull thump as they strike flesh, the clang of blades and a grunt of exertion. Faint voices. A scream. It echoes and repeats, starting over and over as it grows louder, and you follow the sound. You burst into the cavern, and…

You know this cave. It isn’t far from Akin’s Throat. Your group camped here one night.

You see no undead, but you can smell them, and you can hear them – grunting, snorting, drooling. You can feel them, too, an icy cold that you last felt inside the small fortress of Mridsgate.

You can see things that are alive, though. There are huge insects here, humanoid – barely - and probably intelligent: formians, the hive-minds of Mechanus. Scores of them, all twitching antennae and waving forelegs, clacking mandibles and rustling scuttle! They are armed for battle. Scattered around and throughout them are almost a score of humans of all ages, shapes, and sizes; an old skinny man stands near a wiry middle-aged woman, and just a few feet away a scarred teen-aged boy is paired with what looks like a blacksmith. Their eyes are frighteningly blank, and they all move simultaneously, as if one organism with many different bodies. Oddly, several of Nolin’s kobolds are here as well, looking terrified but resolute. This is the hivemind, psionically-linked mercenaries accidentally formed by the Defenders almost a decade ago.

Then your attention is captured by a fully human voice that you know. “You come no farther.” The woman is neither young nor old. She is short-haired and gray-eyed, and she is equipped with a pair of fighting sticks that glimmer in the darkness. You’ve met her before; she is a friend of your friends, and a holy pilgrim of Vindus, God of Vengeance. Her name is Claris.

“No farther.”
“No farther.”
“No farther.”
“No farther.”
“No farther.”
“No farther.”
“No farther.”

Her statement is echoed simultaneously by every other human mouth, and then clattered and scent-said by the formian hivemind. A few kobolds chime in near the end. The effect is eerie. A rotted, precise voice agrees.

“No farther.” You can’t see who is speaking, but the voice is high-pitched, oddly formal, and probably undead.

“You’re one of us, T’Cri,” says Arballine’s voice from the empty air. The unseen elven archer sounds like she is smirking. “I was there when Leipcik fell. What, don’t want to be on the winning side?” She pauses. “A few bugs and humans aren’t going to stop us, rodent. We have more important people to kill, even more important than a traitor. So get out of the way.

Next to Claris, you hear the high-pitched voice again, sounding barely under control. “I have my soul now, elf. You have forgotten the teaching of your elders, if ever they had the wisdom. Duty takes precedence over hunger. Your prey is fulfilling an oath to me.” Claris tilts her head and glances towards the unseen speaker, but says nothing.

Arballine laughs bitterly from the empty air. “So? You’re undead too!”

For a few seconds the cavern becomes completely silent. “Promises are more important than death. So Skrinnix the Enlightener wrote in the Tablets of Rising, and His wisdom is complete. I fight for my own cause, not for you. I would advise you to flee.”

You hear a bow twang. Claris reels back, clawing at something that you can’t see, even as the insects and humans lunge forward.

And you are dragged backwards out of the cave. The vision ends. You are back in the mindflayer city, and you know that the ghoulish assassins that are stalking you have been intercepted by allies.

But you don't know who's winning.

shilsen

Adventurer
Very nice.

Here's a question - how do you communicate this vision in-game? Simply describe it to everyone, do a writeup for the player concerned, handle it outside the session via email, or something else?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
For some things, I just hand him a note. This one is especially important and felt much more real, so I read it to the group. The others just got to pretend they didn't hear it.

The undead here are clearly the assassins put together to specifically kill the PCs, after they were brought back from undeath. The elven archer who feathered Mara's throat back with the necropede, the psionic shadow who strength-drained everyone back at Mridsgate. . . and they've been intercepted by a former Defender of Daybreak and her mercenaries.

As a reminder, Claris sent a circlet to Malachite as a gift while they were in Akin's Throat, and the group heard rumors that she had allied with a bunch of formians to take on undead. This was a tip of the hat to the fact that the PCs weren't the only group of powerful heroes trying to stop the White Kingdom. Sometimes it's nice to know that you have allies, even if they aren't right by your side.

More importantly, this vision told the group that T'Cri (the skaven monk who first tasked them with the White Kingdom, and who then got turned into a ghoul himself because the party took too long to leave) turned against the other ghouls when Imbindarla died and he got his soul back.

It drove the group nuts that they had no way of knowing who won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads