Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
jaults said:
Soooo, how did the Defenders create a psionically-linked hivemind of merceneries?

Nolin's half-brother was disguised and running an elaborate scam, claiming to be a prophet and attracting his own cult. He used a psionic helm to bring people together. It provided mild empathic links between church members, making sure that they never felt alone or lonely. Heck, it even got Arcade to join.

Then the empathic murmuring intensified. The helm was intelligent and bent on creating a hivemind. One person after another snapped under the psionic urging. Nolin's brother finally panicked and stole the helm, trying to run for it, hoping that distance would help. It didn't. He appealed to the Defenders for help.

Since Arcade was under the helm's influence, I made of a sheet of handouts for him: the phrase "Join us, we are one." in a font size from 2 to 64. I cut them apart, started with the tiny font, and handed him a new one every time the psionic urging intensified. Amazingly enough he made every saving throw, but it was a near thing. We were up to font size 52 or so by the time that the mindlinked army of cult members caught up to the party. Saying "Join us, we are one" is still guaranteed to make Bandeeto scowl at me. :p

When they neutralized the influence of the helm (sealing it in iron and mithral and burying it, even as half the group tried to hold off the brainless mob without killing them), it sent everyone into temporary shock. Some people came out of the effect in a coma. Some were fine, including Arcade. And about thirty or more remained perfectly linked, one intelligence with over thirty bodies. This hivemind eventually became a mercenary group, since they worked in perfect correspondence with one another and were superb spies. They bounced in and out of the campaign in the years since, gradually losing members but increasing in average combat skill.

Nolin's brother, never one for big scenes where people want to string him up, made a fast and graceful retreat.

Sito

First Post
I love this scene, mostly for PCat's stated reason of letting the DOD know others are on the case (and 'cause it's a grandstand for Claris, naturally - though how is "Promises are more important than death" not her line?;) )

But it's also a terrific example of his ability to never let a thread drop while crafting the world-story. Four different loose ends come together in this vignette. For instance, it's a great peek for those who are wondering "Do we still have to worry about T'Cri?" At the same time, it shows that other forces are in motion. Actions have consequences, and both can happen off screen - you never get the "Rozencrantz and Guilderstern are Dead" feeling that NPC's are just waiting around for the DOD to enter stage right.

[fanboy] Really great storytelling [/fanboy]

------------------------------------------
Piratcat Fan Club - "Join us, we are one."

Last edited:

Bandeeto

First Post
KidCthulhu said:
I agree with y'all. I loved this vision of T'Cri and Claris more than any other Agar has gotten.

It is indeed a great scene. And yes, I still hate "Join us. We are One."
In fact, I still have some of those pesky little slips of paper P'Cat would toss at me from time to time.

The Helm of the Hive adventure also marked the beginning of the descent into evil for Alix, our rogue. It took place almost immediately after the Academy of Flamecraft. The DoD knew the members of the hivemind weren't responsible for their actions, and we were doing our best to subdue the unfortunate fellows as harmlessly as possible, using illusions and such.

Alix had picked up a magic item that let him cast the occasional fireball, and while the rest of us were going nonlethal he launched one into the crowd, killing several. It was an omen of things to come.

Bandeeto

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
It was also an interesting encounter for us because we were, as I remember, about 9th or 10th level. Just about that time that characters start to feel powerful and mighty. We were very full of our ability to lay down the smack, and there's PC throwing a bunch of innocents at us, any one of whom could be felled by a carelyss blow. Very sobering and very challenging. It really brought home the "great power/great responsibility" message to us. Well, to most of us.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The trip out of the mindflayer city is horrifying. The group laboriously makes their way around an intricate labyrinth imprinted into the cavern floor. The pathway is outlined by still-conscious brains stuck upon spikes.

“These things are still thinking,” says Galthia with revulsion. “I can pick up echoes from them. Their mental energy is powering the defenses.” He worries that he can also sense trace thoughts of his closest friend, lost here on a rrakma several years before, but there's no way to be sure. I’ll be back, he vows to himself. They will pay.

Once past the labyrinth, the group moves through several rooms filled with intricate energies that part before them. They leave by walking through an opaque stone wall that suddenly becomes solid behind them. The ever-present psionic hum cuts off abruptly, and everyone collapses to the ground. They're through.

Galthia eventually gets back to his feet. “I’ll scout ahead. We need to camp, but we should know what’s nearby.” His voice soon whispers over the mindlink. “The way is blocked ahead by three kobold zombies. They each have uneaten rats on sticks, and they’re standing in front of a thin waterfall.” He pauses. “The waterfall is artificial. There’s a decanter of endless water placed up at the top, and draining down into the floor. We can’t get through the water in wind walk form.”

“Are the zombies showing any aggression?”

“No, they’re just standing there.”

“Well, come on back. We have the Flickering Needle set up. We’ll camp in the Daern’s Instant Fortress overnight, and take them on in the morning.”

Overnight, the group identifies and splits up accumulated magical treasure. One of the things that Mara claims is a vest of etheric calm, made of many kuo-toa leather straps. “It allows the calming of etheric winds,” says Agar. “If you have the vest on, you shouldn’t have to fear any ethereal storms.”

“Like the one going on right now?” Mara reaches out her hand for the leather harness. “I have armor of etherealness. This’ll be perfect!”

Nolin twitches. “Little leather cross-straps. . .” He gulps audibly and wipes some sweat from his forehead. “I’m going to go and have a little lie down.”

“It’s what kuo-toa wear! And it goes under the armor.” She wipes off kuo-toa slime from the leather and tucks it in her pack. Nolin moans, Agar takes a deep breath, and they both go back to identifying.

Other items are split up as well. One is a kuo-toa ring of drowning, which causes minute-long bubbles of water to appear atop the target’s head. “I have no open ring slots,” remarks Nolin, “but I love the idea of the ring of drowning combined with the ring of incontinence.”

“For maximum embarrassment?” asks Velendo.

“Exactly. But let’s give it to Galthia so that he has a ranged attack.” The monk looks bemused. They give troll intestine rope and a gem that seeps psychic poison to Malachite, and the Golden Torc of the Sea King to Burr-Lipp.

“I have a feeling that the kuo-toa would want that back if they knew we had it, but what the heck. What’s next, Agar?”

Agar looks at the glorious jewel-encrusted sceptre in his lap. “This is a rod of kingly attire. It can dress you in clothing worth 20,000 gold pieces once a day.”

The bard’s eyes bulge. “Yoink!” yells Nolin.

Velendo looks disgusted. “The ghouls get the best plunder from a dozen civilizations, and we get a rod that makes you dress nicely. Lucky us.”

“Be fair,” says Malachite. “Dress really nicely.”

“And all of this stuff is coated with slime,” complains Nolin as he wipes off the sceptre on an old shirt. “Clearly we need to kill some more sophisticated people.”

Velendo clears his throat. “So, how do we deal with the zombies tomorrow? Are they scout zombies or warning zombies? If we kill them, are the ghouls warned?”

Mara puts down the leather straps. “Do we know what ‘s between us and Nacreous?”

Malachite shakes his head doubtfully. “In theory, it’s smooth sailing all the way. Somewhere out there is the cavern where the ghouls were stopped hundreds of years ago. . . the place where Aleax and Morak sacrificed their lives to drop a cavern ceiling on their heads. I don’t know of anything else.”

“Assuming the White Kingdom hasn’t animated the bodies of the other former saint.” Nolin snorts, and Malachite looks up.

“They already did that.”

“You’re thinking of Saint Aleax. I’m thinking of Saint Morak, the priest of Calphas who actually brought down the ceiling and killed all of them. The dwarven ghost we met in Mrid said he was greedy. Who knows what happened to him.”

“Hey now!” objects Velendo. “He's probably working away in Haven for Calphas. No blasphemy, please.”

They consider different plans, including true seeing, prying eyes, and scouting ethereally. Then with a squeak, Agar’s eyes roll back in his head. He comes back to consciousness seconds later, but refuses to discuss his vision.

Later than night, when Priggle has gone to bed (“I know there aren’t enough beds. I’ll just sleep on the floor. It’s not like a svirfneblin is used to anything better, anyways.”), Agar talks about what he saw. “I saw Priggle in a city of bone,” he gulps, “and he was a ghoul.”

“Oh, that’s not good,” worries Mara. “We better not tell him.”

“I agree,” says Agar. “It would just distract him.” The group finally goes to bed, and their sleep is torn with nightmares. Perhaps it’s the nearness of the mindflayer city, or perhaps its what they’ve gone through, but only Priggle looks well-rested in the morning.

“Why’s everyone looking at me?” he asks suspiciously, but no one tells him of Agar’s vision. His natural paranoia makes him suspicious, though, and his craggy face is twisted by a frown as the group prepares for combat against the three kobold zombies.

Agar casts true seeing, and sneaks in with Galthia. Invisible and flying, he’s hard to detect.

“We’re four hundred yards up. The zombies have evocation magic on them, and there is a low-level illusion magic on the rats.” He checks the ethereal plane. “Yeek! There are indistinct spirits all over.”

Back near where the group camped, Mara leans against a wall whose carven tentacle design has changed shape overnight. “I don’t think the rats are inherently magical. They’re just rats impaled on a stick. Magic rats don’t exist.”

Velendo frowns as he tries to remember. “Didn’t the Torazian deathgranter Droomak have a magic rat of throwing? It was dead, and if you flung it at someone it would animate and burrow in to them. Dylrath got it, and carried it around for a long time.”

Malachite’s face twists. “And you say Dylrath had this item?”

“Yes.”

“Shocked. I’m shocked by this.” His voice is phlegmatic, not surprised in the least.

Nolin smirks. “That rat was of enchantable quality. You don’t often see a masterwork rat.”

Agar reports in again. "They’re just standing there.”

“Well, I’m bored,” announces Mara. “I’m going ethereal to scout.”

“Mara, no!” shouts Velendo, but the beautiful paladin is already gone. “Damn it.” Resignedly he waves good luck to her, and turns to the rest of the group. "Every time we make a plan, we know that we have to come up with something in ten minutes. Any longer than that, and Mara goes and does something rash."

Mara finds herself standing in a bank of clouds. She feels like she’s in the eye of a maelstrom. Moving through the clouds are the faint shapes of flitting ghosts, and she can hear moaning and crying from the spirits around her. If she squints, Mara can just barely see the shapes of her friends nearby. She takes a deep breath and moves down the tunnel.

Once she passes Agar and Galthia she drifts forward more slowly, sinking into the floor so that only her head is visible. The faint feel of the stone brushing past her almost tickles.

“Well, that’s not something you see every day,” comments Agar over the mindlink.

“What?” asks the others.

“Mara’s disembodied head just drifted by. It was emerging from the cavern floor.” He sounds fascinated.

Meanwhile Mara moves into the cavern and watches the zombies, who seem to ignore her completely. There is stacked rubble around this cavern in addition to the zombies and the waterfall. She drifts through the rubble in a corner and is shocked to discover a zombie underneath the stacked rocks. She withdraws carefully, and with her heart thudding she swoops through the wall and past the falling water.

"Well, this is a let-down." Behind the wall of water she discovers a completely empty room with a flat stone floor. The stone is slightly shinier and smoother than the walls, as is the back wall (probably blocking off a door.) They look newer than the natural stone of the cavern walls. There is 2 or 3” of water on the floor. She heads back, rematerializes, and reports on what she’s seen.

This mystifies the group. “If the zombies raise an alarm, where do they go if the room behind them is sealed off? This makes no sense. We have to get past those zombies one way or another.”

“The evocation on the zombies is probably some spell to make them explode when killed,” concludes Agar. “It seems to be linked to their animating force. Kill ‘em, and they’ll go boom. That’s my guess, anyways.”

“What about the spell on the undead rats?” Velendo makes a face.

“No idea. Maybe something like magic mouth, but there’s no way to be sure. I say we go get them.”

“It’s us against three kobold zombies,” says Nolin sarcastically. “How tough could this be?”

To be continued. . .

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
“Ready, everybody? Let’s go!”

Agar leads with a dispel magic that shatters the enchantments in the area, terminating the magic with coruscating flashes. Mara follows up by focusing her faith through her holy symbol and turning undead. The pure light of Aeos plays over them, and all three kobolds and their rats turn into dust.

Malachite blinks. “Well, that was easy. Be wary of the kobold in that pile of rubble.” They move forward in a wedge formation, weapons drawn and spells readied. Priggle nudges a pile of kobold ash with one toe before checking the walls for traps.

The group pauses by the decanter of endless water that has been sealed into stone. The water from the decanter is flowing into a small stone trough, and a slit in the bottom of the trough provides a thin waterfall over the doorway. Reluctant to stick his head through the curtain of water, Velendo warns the group and stone shapes the rock away from the decanter. It falls into his hand, the waterfall ceases, and everyone glares suspiciously into the next room.

Nothing. No movement, no sound, nothing that shows up on true seeing… nothing.

Galthia glances at the still-flowing decanter. “It’s of illithid design originally. See how it’s twisted, with carved tentacles?”

“Ooh,” says Agar, “may I see?”

“And this,” Velendo addresses Galthia as he taps his holy shield with a *tink tink*, “was once of Torazian design. I took it away from a priest of murder, and Calphas converted it to the cause of good. We shouldn’t be too quick to discard useful tools.”

“Fascinating,” says Agar as he sprays his familiar with the decanter. “But we can’t walk around with it spilling out water. Let’s try some commands.” After “off!” doesn’t work, he rattles through his languages and arcane commands. It still pours forth water that drains onto the wet floor.

“Can you tell it to stop in mindflayer?” asks Velendo.

“No,” says Agar. “Illithids only speak mentally, anyways.”

Velendo’s eyes light up. He thinks “Stop flowing!” at the decanter. Nothing happens. But Galthia has had the same idea, and he reaches out with his psionic awareness to find a rich and complex weave of thought-structures around the bottle. A slight psionic nudge and a command to cease, and the water coming from the bottle stops with a revolting gurgle. Malachite reaches over and hands the decanter to Galthia.

“Maybe you should carry the decanter, as you’re the only one who can use it.” Galthia takes it without comment.

“Darn,” complains Agar. Nolin pats him on the back, and most of the group moves out of the doorway into the room beyond. The floor is covered by a few inches of water, and the door at the far side has clearly been stone shaped out of existence. The group is cautious as they surround the door and prepare to have Priggle and Galthia smash it open. The silence is only broken by splashing, one or two witty comments and an occasional “Shhh!” from Velendo.

Priggle touches the wall and concentrates, and the veins of the earth pulse as elemental energy slide around the edges of the cave. The stone in front of the deep gnome thrums as it takes on the consistency of clay. Priggle hefts his pick, and they prepare to smash down the barrier.

He doesn’t get a chance.

At first it feels like an earthquake. There are two huge *WHOOMP!* noises that echo deafeningly through the cave, and the water-slicked stone floor begins to shake. The stone in the middle of the floor buckles upwards in two separate places, and the slabs of rock tilt crazily before splashing back down into a pit of deep water that was hidden beneath the thin stone of the floor. Defenders are thrown off their feet from the shock, three of them knocked fully into the dark and oily water. Priggle and Stone Bear are nowhere to be seen, and Velendo barely manages to clutch a section of still-stable flooring to stop himself from sinking out of sight. He turns his dripping head and sees a tangled mass of huge, rotting blue-black snake heads rising from the depths behind him. They rise from a knotlike confusion beneath the water, and there are too many to easily count.

Mara breaths out a an Aeosian prayer as she takes in the sight. “Dawn to dusk, he lights our path.” Her voice is shaky, and the stench is horrible. The water continues to boil as more and more heads emerge.

Nolin isn’t in the water, although he’s balanced on a slab of stone that is already tilting badly. The bard braces himself to cast a mass haste and a flame strike. Spellcasting in such a way that the snake heads won’t be able to attack him, he shifts his balance, and the slab of stone beneath his feet cants violently at the worst possible time. Nolin‘s yell of surprise and flailing arms are enough to disrupt the complicated magical song. As the incomplete mass haste dissipates into a flowing cloud of golden motes, Nolin yells an apology. “Auggh! Sorry, guys!” He scrambles back up the unstable flooring and tries to find a sturdier place to stand and fight.

Galthia dances nimbly across the disintegrating floor. He braces himself and pounds his fists into the swaying necks. The heads above him are easily as big as his own torso, and the necks are several feet in diameter. The monk swings five times, and not one of his blows does any damage.

“We’re worried about this thing, right?” asks Agar.

“Yes!” comes the answer from a half-dozen different people. Galthia’s voice is certainly one of them.

As Burr-Lipp leaps towards the water to rescue Stone Bear and Priggle. As he does, several of the snake heads whip out and smash into his body. He’s held upright for a few seconds as one head rips off chunks of flesh. As the head lets go, the bullywug hits the water with a limp gracelessness and a flat splash.

“Gurrblup! That hurt, and I’m completely paralyzed. I can’t move at all.”

“Can you breath underwater?” asks Velendo.

“Yes.”

“Oh, well that’s convenient,” says Galthia, still staring up at the heads above him.

Malachite snorts. “Well, he is a frog.” He takes a shuddering breath and repeats Mara’s prayer. “Heaven help us. Dawn to dusk, he lights our path.”

Agar flies up and hovers above the monsters, staring down into the tangled area where each neck merges into another in a writhing column. “I think there’s just one body down there,” he cautions. Casting defensively he fires three acid orbs into the emerging bulk of the body, hitting with each of them and the third smacking perfectly into the beast and burning downwards. The acid sizzles through layers of rotting undead flesh, leaving behind hideous boils swarming with grubs or maggots underneath the skin. Nolin and Velendo both see it, but it’s Nolin who realizes that they look horribly familiar.

“Oh, bugger. Revenant worms!” screams Nolin. “Don’t let those worms touch you!”

Agar looks down as he tries to dodge the reptilian heads beneath him. “That means nothing to me.”

With his vast knowledge of undead lore, though, Malachite easily recognizes the reference. “If they touch you, they’ll burrow into your skin and head for your heart. If you don’t burn them away, they’ll kill you and turn you into undead.” He returns to his prayers as he tries to find a stable path across the remaining flooring.

“Undead used to throw them at us back when we were trying to climb the mountain where Tovag Baragu is,” Velendo calls. The old cleric looks ill. “They’re a special gift from Imbindarla.” In terror, Nolin ignites his entire body in roaring fire before any of the revenant worms touch him.

Mara prays again before she launches her attack. “Dawn to dusk, he lights our path.” Her words happen to coincide with Malachite’s simultaneous prayer, and the cavern suddenly grows as quiet as a church. Instantly and without any spellcasting, a pulse of light comes out of her. It catches Malachite and reverberates from him back to Mara, catches Mara and reverberates again. It shimmers for a few seconds, glimmering, and then explodes outwards in a silent wave of holy sunlight.

“Oh, close your eyes!” cries Mara in surprise. The sunburst splashes against the undead flesh and the visible revenant worms start bursting into greasy smoke. All the great heads are momentarily thrown back, and a wrenching howl emits from more than a dozen seared throats. It’s the first noise that the creature has made.

“Song cue!” yells Nolin. “Spontaneous holy combustion… What was that?”

“I have no idea.” Mara blinked in surprise, and turns to an equally confused Malachite. “What just happened?”

“I don’t know,” he answers over the noise of the shrieking creature. “Was that circumstantial, or do we need to be careful not to pray in unison?” Mara just shakes her head in wonder.

Over the mindlink, Velendo asks everyone who has fallen into the pool how deep the water is. “Have you hit the bottom?” Stone Bear is still underwater and desperately trying not to sink, and Burr-Lipp is floating limply. Priggle can answer, though.

“Of course I hit the bottom, I’m heavier than water. I’m going to die down here. Wet, dark and cold. Probably a fitting end.”

Velendo bites back a comment. “But how deep is it?”

“Twenty feet, or thirty, perhaps. Not that it matters. Svirfneblin are short.”

Inspired, Velendo pulls out his newly acquired kuo-toa dust of dryness. “Be careful, everyone!” he warns. “Instead of being over 30’ of water, we’ll be over a 30’ pit.”

“We’re less likely to be killed by falling than drowning,” says Nolin.

“I have no idea how this works, but I was told it eliminates a lot of water.” Suddenly pulled from the water by the strong arms of his guardian angel, Velendo triumphantly tosses the pinch of dust into the pool – and a cubic yard of water disappears. Velendo stares at it in dismay.

“Excuse me?” asks Nolin tartly. “Exactly how many pinches of dust of suck do we have? I’d hate to use them all up at once.”

“Three,” answers Malachite. “If this was a big bathtub instead of a cavern, we’d be all set right now.”

“It’s not really what I was hoping for,” frowns Velendo as the hydra’s heads start to accurately orient on its enemies. “Oh well, so much for that.”

“Shall I fly us to safety?” asks Cruciel. “It will probably attack us if I do.”

“No. I think it’s focusing on Mara and Malachite.”

“Good point,” pipes up Agar appreciatively. “Guys, thanks for distracting it from all that acid damage I did!”

The ghoulish hydra lurches upwards, trying to break more of the floor. Seven undead heads target Mara, snapping forwards in both hunger and fury. One of them bounces squarely off her shield, two miss her entirely, and four massive heads latch on to her torse with icy-cold teeth and begin to pull. Mara feels a bit like a dog’s chew toy as she’s lifted up and almost ripped apart. Her strength drains from her, and she can feel a paralyzing cold being kept away by one of her magical rings. Four more heads target Malachite, hitting him twice. He’s picked up sideways and violently spun around, also losing strength the ghoulish spittle. Finally, two more heads turn towards Agar and make a horrible retching noise. “Horrk! Horrk! Hurrraggghhh!”

“Ohhhh, no.” The halfling tries to dive out of the way, but he’s much too slow. A wave of squirming grubs cover him and begin to burrow frantically underneath his skin. Both Agar and Proty scream.

Mara is on the opposite side of the cave and can’t see what happened to Agar, but she can see that the hydra’s wounds are beginning to heal. She groans. “It’s regenerating!”

“Damn it!” Nolin tries casting defensively again, and this time successfully manages to get off mass haste. For his next trick, Nolin targets a flame strike on top of the hydra. As the dark beast begins to rise, it’s now clear to everyone that there is a body underneath the necks – and that some of the heads were from a different monster, and were grafted on after its death. Bulging fleshsacks of grubs are on the back of the monster, attached to several of the sixteen heads so that it can vomit them forth.

“Eat hot bard!” yells Nolin. The flame strike smashes down, crackling and burning.

“Nice!” yells Malachite.

“It’s what I do, baby,” says Nolin smugly, and then he corrects himself. “Well, it’s one of the things I do. I do some other stuff, but I can’t really do that here.”

Horrified by the worms writhing into his flesh, the panicked Agar catches the sound of someone spellcasting behind him. He spins to see another kobold zombie which has crawled from the pile of rubble Mara had noticed earlier. The zombie’s eyes are glowing yellow, just like the Puppeteer’s. . . and he’s casting Mordenkainen’s disjunction.

“Oh, s**t,” says Agar.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Very cool... but why did the group ignore the hiding kobold? Maybe the groups I game with are unusually paranoid, but IME a smart party deals with any creatures present before messing around with the scenary.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Misdirection. Luck was definitely on the ghouls' side; the heroes were distracted by the decanter and door, and since they proved that the other kobolds weren't a threat they sort of forgot about the hidden one(s). Even better, although Mara scouted the area ethereally, she never thought to lower her eyes below the floor. If she had, she would have seen the hydra.

Just goes to show, eh? These things happen. Makes up for all the mistakes I make DMing, too.

He does have a chance, though; we house ruled Mordenkainen's Disjunction to take one full round to cast. On the other hand, literally every other party member is on the other side of the room with a giant hydra between them and Agar, and no solid floor between them. I suppose it's a bad time to be covered with revenant worms.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The hydra howls as Agar’s repeated acid orbs continue to sear into its flesh, and it swivels all sixteen of its heads to try and target him. Dozens of lethal revenant worms squirm and burrow into the halfling’s flesh, actually justifying his worst insect phobias. Forty feet away, a zombie containing the spirit of the Puppeteer is casting Mordenkainen’s Disjunction, and only Agar is close enough to stop him.

No pressure.

“Get them off get them off get them off. . .” The alienist cudgels his will and tries to think over the panic. He’s only going to have one chance at this, and no one else can help him in time. He could lay down a fireball at his feet. He could block the line of effect somehow. He could, he could. . . Behind him, the Puppeteer’s voice is rising to a climax as he begins to finish the spell, and the grubs are all over his body and squirming in his hair. “Got to think!” In his mind’s eye Agar scans the twitching arcane spell structures that he has already prepared that morning, looking for the perfect one that could stop the Puppeteer and rid himself of the revenant worms all at once. Amazingly enough, he finds just the thing.

As he starts casting, Agar gasps as a worm pops through the skin of his throat and burrows towards his lungs. It takes almost unnatural concentration to not cough and botch the spell, but he spends hours every day contemplating the hideous possibilities of the outer realms; surely he can finish a simple spell! The syllables trip from his tongue in a dissonant cacophany, ripping a hole towards the plane of radiance, and he blocks out distractions long enough to finish his incantation. As he does, a brilliant sunburst spreads out of the halfling.

The heat and searing radiance give him something of a sunburn, but it also instantly turns the crawling revenant worms within his body into tiny charred mounds of sizzling and blackened fat. It’s a worthwhile tradeoff. In the process, the spell blasts the spellcasting Puppeteer into rancid dust, and vaporizes a layer of flesh from the hydra. The half-formed structure of Mordenkainen’s Disjunction dissipates harmlessly.

“Auggh!” cries Velendo from across the room as his eyes boil in their sockets. “I’m blind!”

“Sorry!” Agar collapses to his knees, blinks, and looks up at the hydra. Does he still feel the acceleration of Nolin’s mass haste coursing through his body? Yes! He uses the extra time to cast chain lightning at the hydra, targeting a different head with each lightning bolt. Electricity blasts from his fingers and smacks into the beast’s body, arcs wildly, and all sixteen heads simultaneously explode. Rotted flesh showers the grotto.

“Agar, you’re my hero!” crows Nolin.

Thirty two heads begin to regrow.

Nolin swallows drily. “Agar, you’re not my hero any more.”

“I can see why,” mutters the halfling in horror.

“We’re going to have to kill the body!” cautions Galthia. He leaps onto the mass of necks and slashes down with his hand. “Target the torso, not the heads.”

“But not with electricity, damn it,” thinks Stone Bear in the water. “It travels through the water. That hurt!

“Sorry,” says Agar, but it’s not entirely clear who he’s talking to. “I think I still hurt it, anyways. I hope.” His voice is uncertain.

“The sunburst did.” Mara considers casting remove paralysis on Burr-Lipp, but the bullywug is nowhere to be seen. Instead she lays hands on herself and heals all of her wounds. Then she instinctively draws upon the power of Aeos to give everyone nearby a bonus to their defense, moves closer, and attacks the hydra’s body with her mace. She hits it twice, and takes putrescent chunks of flesh out of it with each powerful blow.

Malachite triggers a positive energy burst that fills the room with emerald light. Unable to see him with no heads, the hydra just shudders as another large layer of skin is seared away from its body. It rears its elephantine bulk up out of the water, displacing huge waves of water that slap at the people nearby. Cruciel grabs Velendo and pulls him backwards just as a massive neck stump whirls through the place he was just standing. Then Malachite releases a second positive energy burst that blasts right through the undead abomination. Revenant worms cascade into the water, and the corpse of the hydra sinks down out of sight.

The angel’s clear eyes widen. “We’ve got to get them away from those worms!” Cruciel dives into the depths to find Priggle. Velendo is blinded and can’t see the hydra’s body, but he isn’t taking any chances. He flame strikes where it was just to be sure, and a huge gout of steam and smoke rises from the blackened revenant worms as they die. Cruciel’s beautiful face surfaces next to Velendo, and she thrusts a bedraggled and disgusted svirfneblin at him before diving back down for Burr-Lipp. Stone Bear surfaces on his own, frustrated and hurt.

Cruciel looks pained as she reaches the surface a second time. “I have several of those things in me. Can you destroy them, please?” She shows her pearly skin, and the wriggling bulges that squirm inside it.

Nolin’s face twists, and he pats Velendo on the shoulder. “I’ll get it.” Nolin cuts open the angel’s skin and burns away the worms one by one, and the angel manages to almost not make any noise as she bites her perfect lower lip.

“Everyone, I’m sorry if I got a little carried away,” confesses Agar. His voice is faster than normal, still riding the edge of hysteria. “There were worms on me. I had them in front and behind and they were trying to turn me into undead and…”

“You blew up the Puppeteer,” answers Nolin. “I’m okay with that. Hey, someone should probably keep an eye on that rubble.”

“Why are you apologizing?” asks Galthia.

“It was very well done,” comes a voice from a pile of rocks.

To be continued….

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads