• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pirates and d20

Pramas

Explorer
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

Hey! What kind of synergy will there be between Skull & Bones and your Freeport stuff ( which I dig! )?

While they are somewhat different beasts, there's plenty of things you could plunder (har har) from Skull & Bones for a Freeport campaign. Some of the classes, the Fortunes system, vodoo magic, and the critters for sure. Some of the combat rules and the Roll the Bones mechanic if you want to get more off the beaten path.

Sixchan

First Post
alsih2o said:
this was my test boat, to see if the tech would work-

So how big and how detailed will the boats be? If I had the money, I'd love a Minature-scale La Reale:
Reale.jpg

That's the kind of thing that would get pride of place on my Table, along with a Sea expansion to my already massive Campaign world...

Anti-Sean

First Post
Pirates are BULLCRAP!

check out this totally sweet site to find out all about Ninjas, REAL NINJAS, the mortal enemies of pirates:

http://www.realultimatepower.net

(Sorry for the OT post, but I couldn't resist. *someone* had to post a link to the site to this thread, and I was surprised it hadn't happened yet.)

I actually think a pirate-based campaign sounds like a lot of fun, even moreso with airships! A motley crew of rogues and rapscallions in a small, light cruiser trying to outrun and outgun the massive zeppelins of the Gnomish Armada... Sounds like it's time for a new campaign...

-Sean

mmadsen

First Post
Modern Audiences and Pirates

Well, I don't know if it has anything to do with this, but IMHO, pirates are the most stereotypical adventurers out there, and have been done and redone, without the mold ever changing much (of course, there's an historical basis for that).
I find this odd, because I doubt most (young) people have read a single pirate book or seen a true pirate movie; they've only seen parodies or distilled-down bits and pieces. How many people have even read a classic like Treasure Island? How many have seen the movie? How many have read Sabatini's Captain Blood? How many have seen the movie?

alsih2o

First Post
Sixchan said:

So how big and how detailed will the boats be? If I had the money, I'd love a Minature-scale La Reale:
Reale.jpg

That's the kind of thing that would get pride of place on my Table, along with a Sea expansion to my already massive Campaign world...

yeah, that is beautiful, but there is no way to move minis around it, and it probably costs between 500 and 1500 bucks :)

mine will be simpler, no rigging, that gets in the way. i am trying to get across the size, scale and complexity wihtout geting so detailed that your mini will not fit on it :)

JoeBlank

Explorer
Morrow said:

I agree. I've got the Mongoose deckplans, but they're pretty spare. It would be great to have detailed maps for ships: on deck, below decks, and some kind of rigging map. Something that you could blow up and to 1"=5' and use as a battlemap would be great. I'd pay money for it.

Living Imagination has a few .pdf ship plans to download here:
http://www.livingimagination.com/products_downloads.asp

They might still lack the detail you want, but look pretty good to me.

DaveStebbins

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
I've been running a pirate campaign with straigt D&D rules for a couple of years now. It soon became obvious that it just didn't work. Even the greatest warship can be sunk by a simple lightning bolt aimed exactly at the waterline, and a 5d6 fireball in the rigging will destroy a trading ships chances of outsailing the pirates.

When I wanted a more high-adventure feel to the campaign I am (perpetually) working on, I decided to eliminate evocations from the game. My main goal was to make the game feel very different without radical alterations, but one of the bonuses was that this makes sailing adventures much easier to do.

-Dave

Sixchan

First Post
alsih2o said:

yeah, that is beautiful, but there is no way to move minis around it, and it probably costs between 500 and 1500 bucks :)

mine will be simpler, no rigging, that gets in the way. i am trying to get across the size, scale and complexity wihtout geting so detailed that your mini will not fit on it :)

You could move minatures around it if the space between each oar could fit a minature. It probably wouldn't even fit on the table at that point though...

But hey, if I win the lottery, I'll be buying one anyway.

Templetroll

Explorer
Re: Re: Pirates and d20

Tabarnak Smokeblower said:
Anyways, I plan on seeing Pirates of the Carrabean, perhaps just on DVD when it comes out (unless my gf, a big Orlando Bloom, uh, fan, drags me to the cinema :))

See it in the theater, it is that good.

There was a giggle of girls at the one I went to and when Orlando made his first appearance onscreen there was an audible gasp from them. It was most amusing.

Voadam

Legend
Re: Modern Audiences and Pirates

mmadsen said:

I find this odd, because I doubt most (young) people have read a single pirate book or seen a true pirate movie; they've only seen parodies or distilled-down bits and pieces. How many people have even read a classic like Treasure Island? How many have seen the movie? How many have read Sabatini's Captain Blood? How many have seen the movie?

I think most kids have seen Peter Pan and a good number have seen or read treasure island.

I even recall enjoying Tim Curry in Muppet Treasure Island

Remove ads