Place Question Driving Me Crazy!

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
I have a vague but persistent recollection of reading about a prison that I think was somewhere either in North Africa or the Middle East around the beginnings of the 20th century. This prison was allegedly a mine and/or series of caves which had been converted into a mass holding area for criminals who were basically just dropped into darkness and left to kill each other for meager resources and eventually die.

Was this a real place? Help?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No, the black hole is different from what he's envisioning. I know, because I sort of remember it too! But I suspect that it might just be an amalgam made up of Riddick, Australia and lots of fantasy stories. I'm not sure.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Piratecat said:
No, the black hole is different from what he's envisioning. I know, because I sort of remember it too! But I suspect that it might just be an amalgam made up of Riddick, Australia and lots of fantasy stories. I'm not sure.

Hmm. My memories (or, perhaps, "memories") of this reading about this prison predate that horrible time in my life when I subjected to the Chronicles of Riddick. If that helps any.

:D

Cor Azer

First Post
Mark Chance said:
I have a vague but persistent recollection of reading about a prison that I think was somewhere either in North Africa or the Middle East around the beginnings of the 20th century. This prison was allegedly a mine and/or series of caves which had been converted into a mass holding area for criminals who were basically just dropped into darkness and left to kill each other for meager resources and eventually die.

Was this a real place? Help?

Except for the being on Earth part, it sort of sounds like the prison colony used in Star Trek 5, or the prison used in the ST: Voyager episode "The Chute".

Actually, I think Voyager had a couple of episodes around that theme.

There's one in Highfolk, called "The Roots." :)

Not a fun place to live, but I didn't mind aventuring there once or twice. Can't think of any real ones, though.

I've been to that copper mine. It's called Newgate Prison. It's a pretty neat tour if you're in the area. The prisoners were not left to die, but they were basically just brought down this mine shaft into this excavated area and left to their own devices. They were given food and water though.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
There was a series on PBS not long ago called The Spartans which had a quarry that was used in that fashion. Doubt that's what you were thinking of though.

Remove ads