• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Places/Points of Interest: Attunement bonuses - Feedback please

Neko Princex

Explorer
I just had a thought for [divine] places/points of interest. This may be something D&D 3E did, but I'm not completely sure. If a character spends a certain amount of time at a POI they can attune/pray to gain temporary bonuses to anything mechanic that might be appropriate based on the POI. For example, praying at a statue of Zeus would grant a bonus to AC. This bonus might last longer if the character stays at the POI for an extended amount of time.

fba827

Adventurer
In general that sounds fine as a concept. Just some things to be aware of …
Keep bonuses small ( else pcs will never leave. Not to mention entire communities would be squatting there all the time too)

i, personally, wouldn’t increase the bonus the longer you were there but still have a notable time requirement to get even the base bonus. Like a whole day of prayer. It keeps time as the resource cost to get the bonus

consider if they need offerings during the prayer, this might vary based on the type of deity

think of your pcs, are any explicitly not religious? You’d be making them decide between role play vs missing out on a bonus that other players are getting ( mind you if they knew this would be a feature before character creation then this is not an issue)

similiar to the above are any pcs exceptionally devoted to one deity such that they would pray at another deity altar, again RP vs mechanical bonus. Or there is maybe the person who is gets an extra bonus at own deity altar but none at others. But again if knowing before character creation then more wiggle room here

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I just had a thought for [divine] places/points of interest. This may be something D&D 3E did, but I'm not completely sure. If a character spends a certain amount of time at a POI they can attune/pray to gain temporary bonuses to anything mechanic that might be appropriate based on the POI.
It's something that Elder Scrolls: Oblivion did, so at least you have some industry backing. And @fba827 points out the dilemma worth posing to PCs: what's more important, rolls or roles?

Remove ads