• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plane Shift Focus?

The plane shift spell requires a focus of a forked, metal rod specific to the particular plane you want to shift to.

Is there a list somewhere of which metal rod is required for which plane?

Dandu

First Post
Not as far as I know. I wouldn't think too hard about it; material components and focuses are meant mainly for amusement when you get the joke.

SnowHeart

First Post
I'm not aware of any such list, either. I also checked the DMG and didn't see anything under the various planes. As the DM, I would probably say any metal that came from that plane would be fine and then, depending on the story, make the procurement of that metal either easy (buy it in a shop) to the difficult (subject to its own sidequest) to something in between (summon a creature from that plane and have it get/give you the metal).

frankthedm

First Post
The plane shift spell requires a focus of a forked, metal rod specific to the particular plane you want to shift to.

Is there a list somewhere of which metal rod is required for which plane?
No list, the forks are there to limit PC access to certain planes. 3.0 PHB was upfront about this.

Thorindale

First Post
I thought there was an old DRAGON article that listed the frequency "note" for each plane.

EDIT: "Plane Speaking" DRAGON 120.
It lists various materials and pitches used for plane travelling.

Last edited:

the_insomniac

First Post
im wondering how to stop a psion..normally, with a cleric or wizard, they would have to find the right fork to plane shift (since it is NOT in the spell component pouch, and the fork is required EVEN for the divine version (it's not a f/df spell, it's a "f" spell))...but the psionic version of plane shift states that it works just like the spell "except as noted here". now i know that powers dont tend to have material components, but i cant find any reference saying that "none of them can/do". and the wording of the spell "plane shift" says that the size and type of fork dictates the plane traveled to. that means that the caster does NOT dictate the plane traveled to. and if the power works "just like the spell, except as noted here" and "here" doesnt say that the manifester dictates the plane traveled to, then i would say that the fork STILL dictates the plane, and therefore is STILL required. i would be happy if i was right, since i feel the planar forks should be a big deal (for example, sigil could give out "hunting licenses" in the form of beastland forks), and why else would people in sigil fight over portal keys if they could just go buy (or make) amulets of plane shift (or amulets of planar travel? cant remember the exact name of it), or if they have plane shift as an sla, like gith or coatls? if someone had "magic stone" as an sla, wouldnt they still need the pebbles? then again, the pebbles are actually listed as the "target" of the spell. then again, simulcrum doesnt have a "target" line in the spell description (does that mean that the piece of the creature to be duplicated is what dictates the creatured copied by the spell? you certainly can't have a piece of every creature in your scp (eschew materials wouldnt eliminate the need for this piece of the creature (although by raw it has no listed price, therefore it's assumed to be in the pouch, but then again, if there was in fact a piece of every creature in existence in your scp (how would that work when a baby was born on a different plane? does a piece of them automatically plane shift (without a fork) and teleport to your scp (and another piece to EVERYONE ELSE'S scp? doubt it)), then why would the spell ask for a piece of them? im pretty sure asking for a piece of the creature is basically a way of saying you cant use simulacrum on someone you've never found or somethin like that. i think spell components should be taken far more seriously than everyone else seems to think. i mean warriors need weapons, skill monkeys need tools, spell casters need spells. all of these things have components. if someone took your arrows what good would your bow be? (and your martial weapon proficiency with it?) if someone took your rock climbing gear, what good would your skill be? i know you can still climb SOME stuff without a climber's kit, and you can still cast SOME spells without your scp. but there are different kits for different skills, and different things for different spells, and some of those things arent intended to be had by everyone. do you really think the scp would only b 5 bucks if it had pieces of people in it?! wow i got way off topic here...what's everyone think about psions or gith using plane shift without a fork?

This is really one of those times where you have to ask your DM when you gain access to the spell.

Is it, by default, in my component pouch? Can I eschew it since there's no cost? Do I need to consult a sage?

the_insomniac

First Post
i would say the little "f" after the name of the spell in the spell lists (namely clr & sor/wiz) means the focus is not normally in the scp...also, i tend to agree with the idea that a focus comp, even though it's a material of a sort, is not the same as a material comp, and so eschew mats doesnt apply. sors get it at 14th, wiz at 13th, gzerai at 11th, clerics/psions/githyanki at 9th.....and i would really be happy if there was proof that no one could do it without the fork

Remove ads