Planescape Planescape to languish in purgatory?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
While I agree with the concept of it being setting dependent. The fact that D&D orcs are "evil" in the MM doesn't need to affect your table. I've used ambiguously aligned orcs and goblins since 1e and the orcs in the book always said "evil." It only affects your table if you let it, IMO.
Them being in the Monster Manual doesn't effect my table, but what was originally in Volo's Guide to Monsters did.

Dark Sun isn't politically incorrect because in Athas lots of horrible things happen. Petlum/Sword&sandal movies also had got lots of horrible things (slavery, Christians matyrs being eaten by the lions in the circus....) and nobody complained about "Quo Vadis" or "Spartacus". Hercucles & Xena also had got slavery.

It's right to use speculative fiction to promote positive values, but the mistake is to use a "too aggressive proselytizing". If you want really to convice don't force them to agree you, and don't try them to feel guilty because their point of view isn't enough politicallly correct.

* We should remember there are lots of factions in the D&D multiverse. Maybe someones are the Gatetowns but not in Sigil. This would allow adding new elements in the faction war, even when they aren't allowed within the city of the doors.

A new planar handbook is perfectly possible, or module compilations linked with the travels. The question is about the metaplots, all but Forgotten Realm are frozen.

Actually I think 5e is the best version of D&D ever made bar none. I do not however like the way WotC is following the woke crowed on silly topics such as this, but I realize at this point that it's inevitable. I just opt out.

I have probably just as much distaste for the overtly "woke" aspects as you will, but for me the whole orc thing is actually just restating how the game has been running for decades.

DMs around the world had neutral and good aligned orcs for ages, and were already adding nuance and thought into their depiction of the various evil-aligned humanoid races. Even TSR modules were fairly consistent in showing orcs (and drow, etc) that "broke the mold". All they've really done is restate that, and point out that nothing in the rules requires any individual orc to be evil (It was moving well away from that even by 3rd edition, 20 years ago).

Of course the internet and twitter are inhabited by a social group that gets really excited about these things, and they tend to inflame such things out of proportion, which of course just riles up the other social group on twitter, when really it was all just business as usual.

twofalls

DM Beadle
DMs around the world had neutral and good aligned orcs for ages, and were already adding nuance and thought into their depiction of the various evil-aligned humanoid races. Even TSR modules were fairly consistent in showing orcs (and drow, etc) that "broke the mold". All they've really done is restate that, and point out that nothing in the rules requires any individual orc to be evil (It was moving well away from that even by 3rd edition, 20 years ago).
Please see PM.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Dark sun is different from the always evil races. Yes it's a horrible crapsack world barely hanging on after an apocalyptic series of events, but there is so much "evil" "argely because everyone is trying so desperately to survive. The sorcerer kings are horrible rulers but their cities have things like water food and an economy of some form along with walls and an army to keep people inside safe.. the people would happily transition to a new and improved ruling power given the xhance

Zardnaar

Legend
Dark sun is different from the always evil races. Yes it's a horrible crapsack world barely hanging on after an apocalyptic series of events, but there is so much "evil" "argely because everyone is trying so desperately to survive. The sorcerer kings are horrible rulers but their cities have things like water food and an economy of some form along with walls and an army to keep people inside safe.. the people would happily transition to a new and improved ruling power given the xhance

On Darksun evil won.

The veiled alliance and other good aligned beings/factions are the resistance.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
On Darksun evil won.

The veiled alliance and other good aligned beings/factions are the resistance.
yea. the darksun tvtropes page does a remarkably good job of (quickly) summarizing things. The various resistance groups may or may not be able to simply overturn the SK's, but on some level they know it would be a pyric victory lasting not much longer than a year till the seal on rajaat weakens enough for him to break free under the best of circumstances . Even the sorcerer kings took a step back from his abyss in horror/self interest & worked together to seal him away at some point.

twofalls

DM Beadle
There was a setting called Midnight, third party FFG I think. I have it on my shelf. Another setting where evil won, probably the darkest campain setting I've ever seen. I picked up most of the books for it because I thought they did a really good job with it, but I've not ever had a group who I thought would enjoy the darkness of the world. I have similar concerns about Rise of the Drow. It's slated to be our next campaign game and it takes place entirely in the underdark save for the first few scenes, and I'm not sure all my players will like that.

These are third party so its off topic, but talk about Darksun made me think of them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases