• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plans to upgrade/switch?

Do you plan to upgrade editions?

• I currently use pre-3E and am not upgrading

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I currently use 3E/3.5 and won't be upgrading

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • I will check out 4E first and might upgrade

Votes: 83 49.1%
  • I will upgrade to 4E without question

Votes: 47 27.8%
  • I am giving up on D&D altogether

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.1%

DreamChaser

Explorer
I agree with KD and that camp.

Heck, online gamers can easily spend $10 to $30 dollars a month to subscribe not to mention the software upgrades sometimes required to get the new cool stuff.

In regards to the WoD exceptions, I think that it is telling that in order to play a full WoD game, you have to buy 5-8 books (these are just the core books for each type of character and does not include even a single splat book).

In the newest version, they add 1 to this by default (the basic WoD book which has the core rules).

Considering that, I can see why there is so much resistance in the WoD camp to changes.

In my case, I felt that 3e was a different game from 2e (which was an **upgrade** from 1e which was a different game from OD&D). I felt that 3e was 1000% better than any edition that had come before.

3.5 was, IMO, 100% better than 3.0. After 3 years with a new system, new things get learned.

4e it appears will be somewhere between the transition from 3.0 to 3.5 and the transition from 2e to 3e. The underlying game will be the same (thus **upgrade**) but many core mechnics are being revised.

I like what I hear so far in terms of 4e and I will judge it when the time comes on its own merits. I can play 4e **and** 3e games if I want so I don't have to view 4e as a replacement which is killing my favorite game. It sounds like I won't be able to integrate them, but that, IMO is not a concern.

In response to the "excuse to make more money" argument, this is powerfully specious IMHO. Wizards of the Coast is (as TSR was) a business. Unlike TSR, there appear to be actual business people involved in the business. Gamers, like artists, run a huge range and being good at creating games (or making art) does **not** mean you can run a business. I say this not to belittle TSR inherently but to draw to mind the often contradictory or diametrically opposed splat books that would come out as well as inconsistent marketing, often hard to find items, and a pricing structure that was all over the board.

As a business, WotC is in the business of making money. Whether they sell splat books with 1/3 the pages of a core book but charge 80% of the price or they release a new edition, their core goal is making money.

That said, any good business has to keep their market in mind. If WotC did not feel that there was a market for 4e (or that backlash against a *mere* 5 years--my 3.5 PHB is date July 2003 the new PHB is due out in May 2008 would prevent people from buying a new edition) they would not be creating it.

The fact that 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 have all include SRD documents further belies this argument. If they were only interested in making sure that everyone had to buy their books and burn their 3e stuff, the SRD would most certainly be a thing of the past.

I voted that I will wait to see what 4e is but I can say I will likely buy it (just as I bought the 2e revised WoD books back in the day).

DC

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
I don't know if videogames are a fair comparison, but my fave series is Warlords.

1 was revolutionary, 2 was great, 3 was amazing, 4 was crap.

To this day, we still play 3 (& even 2), but all of our copies of 4 still sit in the boxes, unused...

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm happy with v3.5 even though I've started to muck about with some of the real basics lately. I've had some rock solid gaming juice with the current version. But I can't *wait* for 4th Edition. I think Wizards have timed it to perfection.

Cadfan

First Post
I put down upgrade without question.

I'll review it first, of course. Its just that unless its worse than 3.5, I'll upgrade, and WOTC has given me sufficient cause to trust them to improve the game. So while I will be reviewing and upgrading only if I like what I see, I am confident enough that I will like what I see that I don't feel the need to put in a lawyerly caveat in my poll choice.

Remove ads