D&D 5E Player angry about enemies climbing rope with Rope Trick

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1. Look up the spell casting time.
2. if the player did not log the addition information then treat it as generic caster of x for spell y.
So the casting time in effect has to be gone through twice - once to get the spell into the ring, and then again to get it out?

Huh. That'd take away the only reason I ever bother with the things.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I don't know, I mean, think of it this way. It does let a caster technically cheat Concentration, as the Ring user uses their Concentration for the spell it casts. So if the Fighter wants Shield of Faith, he can cast it himself.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't know, I mean, think of it this way. It does let a caster technically cheat Concentration, as the Ring user uses their Concentration for the spell it casts. So if the Fighter wants Shield of Faith, he can cast it himself.
Again, the versions I'm used to can't be used by Fighters as Fighters can't cast spells.

James Gasik

Supporter
Oh I know. I was just commenting on how Lanefan doesn't play with that version of the Ring, which he told me before upthread.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Oh I know. I was just commenting on how Lanefan doesn't play with that version of the Ring, which he told me before upthread.

Sure, but since this thread is labeled 5e and discusses issues with 5e, bringing in past edition rules is just overly confusing.

James Gasik

Supporter
You have a point, Mort. Sorry, I've seen other people post stuff about other editions all the time on these forums, so I just assumed that's a consequence of one edition bringing the old players and the new into the same room.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
You have a point, Mort. Sorry, I've seen other people post stuff about other editions all the time on these forums, so I just assumed that's a consequence of one edition bringing the old players and the new into the same room.

Sure, and when you're discussing adventures, D&D concepts, lethality, evolution of systems or any number of other things, it's great. BUT, IMO, when you're discussing mechanics, it just gets too confusing.

For ex. Rope trick in 1e was 2 turns (20 minutes) per level, 3e it was 1 hour per level and 5e it's 1 hour period. That's really different. Ring of spell storing too - while the concept is the same (a ring that stores spells), the mechanics are different enough that trying to discuss them as similar - is REALLY confusing. again, IMO.

Especially when the discussion (from the OP) is about whether a specific tactic was "fair" etc. - helps if everyone is actually discussing the same tactic.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Predators should be encountered during heat waves in areas of elevated violence. They should only attack armed and healthy enemies.
My God man! You're on to something!

Remove ads