D&D 5E Player angry about enemies climbing rope with Rope Trick

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Another option for the player would be to laugh about it, and then start plotting...

Next time, make sure it's the full 60' rope length, wait at the top, and then Hold Action. When the orcs are 5' away, cut the rope.

Vaalingrade

Legend
None of the events seem particularly unreasonable, but the tone and and the attitude sound dysfunctional.

Also, Rope Trick and Leomund's Invincible Bunker are hella annoying spells that have a tendency to totally mess up the pacing, so I always just ban them. And I recommend anyone who has an issue with them rather do that, than punishing the players for using them.
They don't mess up the pacing so much as mess up the DM's chance to mess up the pacing with random encounters and sleepy-time ambushes.

They don't mess up the pacing so much as mess up the DM's chance to mess up the pacing with random encounters and sleepy-time ambushes.
Yes, that too. But like it or not (and I know you don't) the game is built with the assumption of certain number encounters between rests. So PCs being able to basically rest wherever they want, whenever they want seriously messes that up. Though personally I feel it also ruins tension and dramatic pacing related to that. Being able to just pause an intense situation to chill in a safe pocket dimension just is weird and not something I want to be happening. YMMV and all that.

Vaalingrade

Legend
So PCs being able to basically rest wherever they want, whenever they want seriously messes that up. Though personally I feel it also ruins tension and dramatic pacing related to that. Being able to just pause an intense situation to chill in a safe pocket dimension just is weird and not something I want to be happening. YMMV and all that.
Even if we go by this, they can't rest 'whenever they want' because the spells have a longer than a round casting time, meaning you can't actually do it in combat.

Which is another point everyone is missing here. The Ranger is apparently only able to do this using Spell Storing. Now, where did he get access to that I wonder?

I despise the way Tiny Hut is written. I had players using it as a temporary redoubt in battle, and sneer at me when I couldn't do anything about it. Then the one time I thought an encountered enemy could do something about it, they cried to the event organizer and came back to me with a Crawford tweet. I stopped running AL games after that.
How do you use a spell with a casting time of 1 whole minute (a.k.a. 10 rounds if combat) as a temporary redoubt in battle?

How do you use a spell with a casting time of 1 whole minute (a.k.a. 10 rounds if combat) as a temporary redoubt in battle?
Pre-cast it and pull monsters to it, like you're in an MMO dungeon. Or start casting and move into enemy territory the round you finish. Effectiveness varies on scouting, dungeon layout, and monster intelligence of course.

I've also seen players Divine Intervention and Wish for one in an emergency.

Even if we go by this, they can't rest 'whenever they want' because the spells have a longer than a round casting time, meaning you can't actually do it in combat.

Which is another point everyone is missing here. The Ranger is apparently only able to do this using Spell Storing. Now, where did he get access to that I wonder?
Rope Trick casting time is 1 action (no Spell Storing needed)
Tiny Hut casting time is 1 minute

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Another option for the player would be to laugh about it, and then start plotting...

Next time, make sure it's the full 60' rope length, wait at the top, and then Hold Action. When the orcs are 5' away, cut the rope.
Make sure you have another rope handy, though, and something heavy to tie it to; or you're falling 60' when the spell ends or when you jump out...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yeah, so, the character didn't get the Ring under my watch, but they had it from some adventure or another (this being an AL game). At the time, I was told that since the spell was previously cast, then activating would require nothing more than a standard action. I was dubious about this, because the ring states you "cast" the spell. I had a thread about this on these forums (gobbled up apparently) for clarification. Since then, I have heard people say that the Ring does not change the casting time of the spell.

Not sure if this is the case or not, but it would be a good ruling with regards to Ritual spells.

Remove ads