• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player knowledge and Character knowledge

ChrisCarlson

First Post
So how is that poll coming along?

Also, you keep liking to refer to our hobby as "role-playing". I've noticed you tend to forget the second half of its name. Any guess what that other word is?

You know, since "words have meaning" and all...

Satyrn

First Post
I will stop correcting your definitions when you stop using the wrong definitions, or when you sufficiently convince me that you are a lost cause and that further interaction would be pointless (which is about three minutes from now).

Words have meaning, and no amount of clever twisting on your part will turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

You know, you're actually right. Chris's definition is wrong. But so is yours. My definition is the correct one.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
[MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION], I think you missed a part of my previous post where I pointed out another of your errors. Please address:
Saelorn said:
Regardless, character definition isn't part of the game itself. It's a pre-game activity.
That's not what the PHB tells me. Also, have you heard of "levels"? They are an ongoing advancement of the character's growth expressed mechanically. It does not occur "pre-game".
Thanks in advance.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
You play a different style of D&D than I. Clearly. And that's okay. But please quit speaking to me as if you are teaching me the One True Way (tm). Thanks.
It's not really worth it. Saelorn is probably the most ideologically committed poster on these forums to a definition of "role-playing" that only includes character-immersive actor stance play.

Agamon

Adventurer
You should start a poll. I think one of us would be much more shocked at the results than the other. I'll save which of us I think that'd be as a surprise.

There's obviously no need for a poll. But, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. And everyone else is all blind, of course.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
A role-playing game is a game which is played by role-playing. A game is defined as a series of meaningful choices. Role-playing is how you make those choices, when you play a role-playing game.

I would rephrase to "Roleplaying is that you make those choices..."

How you come to a decision while roleplaying and how you communicate it to the table are separate issues.

Everytime this topic comes up, I can't help but feel the real divide on metagaming comes from one key concept:

Should the game challenge the player vs. Should the game challenge the character.

I used to make this same distinction, but I've come to realize it's nonsensical. A game is always a challenge to the player, provided there is the possibility of success and failure (however that's defined by the game).

G

Guest 6801328

It's not really worth it. Saelorn is probably the most ideologically committed poster on these forums to a definition of "role-playing" that only includes character-immersive actor stance play.

So that's not just me with that perception of him?

Remove ads