D&D 5E Player knowledge and Character knowledge

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Personallty I nevered of a Lich before I started playing D&D way back when, but now I know alot about them, should my low level character have this info if asked?

Up to the player to establish what he or she believes the character thinks in my view.

It doesn't mean the character is right, of course.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
To the OP's question - I always used to play it that 'if my wife (who's never played any RPG in her life) knows it, my character would know it' when talking about starting characters knowledge.

If we are going to play using that rule then my wife has a big surprise in store for her regarding the amount of DnD homework in the immediate future. =;0)

RevelationMD

First Post
If we are going to play using that rule then my wife has a big surprise in store for her regarding the amount of DnD homework in the immediate future. =;0)

Hehe - well the rules state that 'wife' can also be swapped with 'any other non-gaming family member'. But that's an advanced rule and is entirely optional ;)

RevelationMD

First Post
I agree that common knowledge, subject of course to the GMs approval, is just that 'common'. I'm not talking about 'common' knowledge, I'm talking about knowledge of monsters that are considered more 'rare'. Personallty I nevered of a Lich before I started playing D&D way back when, but now I know alot about them, should my low level character have this info if asked?

In that instance, I would say not - going by my 'wife' rule. Unless of course your backstory makes it absolutely necessary that you know about Liches. Say for example you are trying to play a Van Helsing type character. Even then I would imagine your GM would want you to use a proficiency on 'undead knowledge' or some such. To my mind player knowledge does not equal character knowledge - unless of course you want to play that it works both ways.... ''So, Dave... your paladins turn to attack - you any good with a two handed sword Dave?''

I occasionally just ask my players: "Do you think your character would know this?"

The players then decide for themselves what knowledge their character possesses.

Remove ads