D&D General Player Responsibilities

R_J_K75

Legend
Our game is probably less serious than most, and we tend to digress from the game more than others. This is because there's currently only three of us playing, but I generally agree with most of what was already said. Bring your own beer/pop/ snacks and throw in for food whether we order out or grill/cook. This has never been a problem even on the rare occasion a player isn't financially able to contribute everyone else will carry them if need be.

One thing I will add is supplies. I think all players and the DM should share the cost for things such as printer ink, paper, pens, pencils, wet/dry erase markers, mostly the consumable stuff that runs out. As I've primarily been the DM over the years the very few times I've actually asked players to put money in for these things they were always willing to.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I totally blanked on a game just yesterday, also missed my friends text asking if I was joining until an hour or more later.

I like it when players take some notes, and I like to try and take some for at least our quests. However, I also like it when I run or play a game session when we have that initial convo about what has happened. It's all part of the friends catch-up when we play.

About the only thing I sort of require of players though is that they know what their class features do, because I will often ask what it does so someone needs to know. Dndbeyond helps immensely with this since all the info is right there.

R_J_K75

Legend
Prepare for the game.
I don't prep that much these days, I do more of a general outline and let the game progress organically, but I'm always ready to improvise. As a player though I do get aggravated if the DM shows up unprepared and doesnt have the chops to improv. Usually when this happens it shows, the game suffers and just isn't fun. In those cases, I think to myself that was a waste of time, I could have done something else and consider whether I want to keep playing in this person's game.

-For Two: show up on time, or don't bother coming. Any excuse less then "my house exploded" will not be accepted. If you have a "crazy busy" life, then you should have NEVER even said you were coming to the game.
This is a little harsh especially if playing amongst friends, but I do agree if it becomes the norm with a player then yes they should drop out or I will ask them not to play until they can commit. I don't mind if a player is late or has to cancel on occasion as long as they give us notice, if possible, but hey sometimes houses explode unexpectedly.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't prep that much these days, I do more of a general outline and let the game progress organically, but I'm always ready to improvise. As a player though I do get aggravated if the DM shows up unprepared and doesnt have the chops to improv. Usually when this happens it shows, the game suffers and just isn't fun. In those cases, I think to myself that was a waste of time, I could have done something else and consider whether I want to keep playing in this person's game.

This is a little harsh especially if playing amongst friends, but I do agree if it becomes the norm with a player then yes they should drop out or I will ask them not to play until they can commit. I don't mind if a player is late or has to cancel on occasion as long as they give us notice, if possible, but hey sometimes houses explode unexpectedly.
I was talking about players needing to prepare for the game. Don't show up & start leveling your character after a week long break. Dopn't show up & ask me to rule on a questionable interaction you noticed days ago while leveling up/reviewing your abilities/etc & weren't sure about but would like a ruling on right now before we start when you could have asked in chat at any point. Don't show up & declare that you couldn't print your character sheet because your printer was .dead this week to five people who could have printed it for you had you asked before we were starting the game. So on & so forth

There’s only two things I really care about as a GM when it comes to player responsibilities,
1. Know what to roll and what to add to the rolls
2. Put in effort to participate in the game instead of passively waiting for me to ask you if you do something.

I play with friends, so the respect stuff and refreshments stuff goes without saying. But sometimes I just want to hit the end session button after being asked EVERY TURN, what the player needs to roll and what to add. We implemented proficiency dice at the start of the new campaign and all but one of five players remember to add a D4 to their rolls. I thought maybe the proficiency dice thing was too complicated, and that we should just go back to the static +2, but they’d just forget to add the bonus.

John Lloyd1

Explorer
Knowing the rule & character abilities is an interesting one. As a DM I want the players to know their characters so I don't need to even have to know those rules. But, being accessible for new players means accepting players don't know them.

I play in a game store which manages the tables. When I'm DMing, I might get a need to take people extra people if needed. This changes the way you manage expectations.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Really, just be cool and have fun. Be respectful when you share your opinions, and do so often.

Remove ads