• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player so afraid PC will die that she's not having fun

apesamongus

First Post
DragonLancer said:
As long as the DM has not gone out of his way to screw over the players, and force events that may well lead to a TPK, then I don't see a problem.

If your new puppy dies on an unknown and rare food alergy instead of being hit by a drunk driver doesn't change the basic fact that he's dead.

apesamongus

First Post
ForceUser said:
For the record, I want the players to become true heroes.

Can't happen. Sorry.

The players of a RPG will never be heroes, they will always just be dorks sitting around a table.

On the other hand, the characters may well be heroes. But then, the character doesn't need to know he can't die. It happens in works of fiction all the time. The author knows the character isn't going to die and the audience knows the character isn't going to die, but luckily for everyone involved the character doesn't know it. And, it's that decisions, the one made from the character's point of view, that determines whether the action is heroic or not.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
It may be just my insensitive side shining through, but the *very first* thing I'd do is kill her character in some heroic and fun way. She'd see it's not the end of the world and can even be fun when done correctly, and she'd relax and have a good time from then on.

I used to live in fear of character death until my first TPK. The disappointment lasted less than ten minutes before we were deviously putting together our new party to "get back" at the DM, and much fun was had by all.

apesamongus said:
If your new puppy dies on an unknown and rare food alergy instead of being hit by a drunk driver doesn't change the basic fact that he's dead.

Y'know, when I was a kid I had the smartest dog I have ever met die because the people we bought it from lied about what shots it had been given. No lie, this dog was house broken in a week and was what most people would consider fully trained in a month and we weren't even trying; she was just that smart.

We got her when the previous dog died of old age. It was sad but she was old. If the puppy had died because it got stung by a bee I'd have been just as broken up but twenty years later* I still think everyone is a lying $#!t until they prove otherwise.

So there's a big difference in "crap happens" and "ForceUser crapped on me."

*Oh, and I'd run over that bugger in a heartbeat if I saw him. I think the vet told us that more than half that litter died in the first year. What a great 8th birthday that was.

Gamecock

First Post
You where an inexperienced DM to start with. That inexperience hurt the group. You have since learned but your group does not have the RPG experience you have. You Where able to ID the problem and correct it. The others can not.

Step down and let someone else DM. Lead the group from a different POV, but you need to step down.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Laf, no he doesn't.

How do you come to the conclusiong that he is an "inexperienced DM to start with" from this thread?

Remove ads