• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players and DMs playing themselves as in-game characters?

Two questions:

1) What games or articles have been written about players playing themselves as PCs?

2) Which TRPG games or settings feature the GM as an actual character within the game? Or, have there been out-of-game ways for DMs to gain "levels", such as through some Organized Play ranking system?

Players as PCs:

GMs as an in-game character, or out-of-game references to GMs "leveling up":
  • The Ryuujin in Ryuutama Natural RPG
  • The Dungeon Master in the Realm of the D&D Cartoon Show
  • I seem to recall that an old Mail Order Hobby Shop catalog had an RPGA t-shirt which with a "DM-level progression chart", with level titles: "10th-level DM Lord" or something like that.

Anyone know of other resources along these lines?

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Meta forum is primarliy focused on discussion *of* the forums themselves - about features, issues, and procedures.

If you want to talk about games, you might find the General forum more appropriate for this thread. Would you like me to move it for you?

The Meta forum is primarliy focused on discussion *of* the forums themselves - about features, issues, and procedures.

If you want to talk about games, you might find the General forum more appropriate for this thread. Would you like me to move it for you?

Oh yes, I clicked the wrong forum. Thank you!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
My friend ran a Halloween zombie one-shot using the Call of Cthulhu rules where the players statted out each other then played themselves. The GM played as himself until his character got sick and turned into the first zombie of the night.

I think it would be cool to do a modern Heroes-like campaign where players would play themselves with recently manifested powers.

Remove ads