• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Players Chosen] Do You Have What It Takes To Join The Nameless Legion?

Bront

The man with the probe
Reinforcements "Force", Arcane Hierophant

Here's an alternate character. He should be fun as well. I did have a quick question on spells.

How are you working selecting spells for a wizard? Is it just base spells? If I want a new spell to add, what do I have to buy, the materials for copying, the scroll, both, or neither? I can see them having access to most normal spells through the Legion, but the 100 gp per page copy charge always irked me a bit. Just want to know how you want it done before I select my spells.

Anyway, hope you like the background. BTW, I'm willing to leave the extra characters as Alts or even as backups in case one dies (Not sure how lethal you intend to be).

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Reinforcements "Force"
[B]Class:[/B] Druid 3/Wizard 4/Arcane Hierophant (RotW) 5
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] N
[B]Deity:[/B] 

[B]Str:[/B] 8 -1 (0p.)       [B]Level:[/B] 12       [B]XP:[/B] 66000/78000
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)      [B]BAB:[/B] +7/2       [B]HP:[/B] 74 (3d8+4d4+5d6+24)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (2p.)      [B]Grapple:[/B] +6     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 
[B]Int:[/B] 22 +6 (10p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 20'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] 
[B]Wis:[/B] 21 +5 (10p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Save:[/B]
[B]Cha:[/B] 12 +1 (2p.)      [B]ACP:[/B] -3         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +8    +0    +2    +0    +0    +2    22
[B]Touch:[/B] 14              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 20

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      5    +2    +2    +9
[B]Ref:[/B]                       3    +2    +2    +7
[B]Will:[/B]                      11   +5    +2    +16

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Light Crossbow(80')       +11     1d8+2     19-20x2
Scimitar                  +6      1d6-1     18-20x2
Dagger(10')              +6(9)    1d4-1     19-20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Druidic, Draconic, Elven, Sylvan, Dwarven

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
Specilization: Conjuration, Eschew: Necromancy, Enchantment
Companion Familiar (8th Level Companion/9th level Familiar)
Wild Shape 3/day, Large
Nature Sense
Wild Empathy (3+1=4)
Woodland Stride
Trackless Step
Ignore Arcane Spell Failure - When wearing Druidic light or medium armor
Channel Animal 2/day
Spontanious Cast - Summon Natures Ally
Tattoo of Amity: +2 Morale bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate

[B]Spellcasting:[/B]
Druid: DC+5 (CL8)
0: 6  1st: 6  2nd: 4  3rd: 4  4th: 3

Wizard: DC+6 (CL9)
0: 4  1st: 6+1  2nd: 6+1  3rd: 4+1  4th: 3+1  5th: 2+1

[B]Feats:[/B]
1 Spell Focus: Conjuration
1 Augment Summoning
2W Scribe Scroll
3 Point Blank Shot
4 +1 Int
6 Precise Shot
8 +1 Int
9 Rapid Reload (Light Crossbow)
12 Natural Spell
12 +1 Wis

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 125       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 15/7.5
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Concentration		  15    +2          +17
Decipher Script		  10    +6          +16
Diplomacy		  10    +1    +2    +13
Handle Animal		  10    +1          +11
Heal			   9    +5    +2    +16
KN: Arcana		  10    +6          +16
KN: Nature		  10    +6    +2    +18
Listen			  10    +5          +15
Spellcraft		  10    +8    +2    +20(22)
Spot			  10    +5          +15
Survival		  11    +5    +2    +18(20)
Swim			  10    -1    -6    +3

[B]Equipment:           	    Cost  Weight[/B]
Tattoo of Amity
Darkleaf Breastplate +3		11450	30
Light Crossbow +2		8335	3
Scimitar			15	4
Headband of Intellect +4	16000	
Periapt of Wisdom +4		16000	
Amulet of Health +4		16000	
Ring of Protection +2		8000	
Cloak of Resistance +2		4000	
Pearl of Power L2		4000	
40 Bolts			4	4
Spell Component Pouch		5	2
Dagger				2	1

Handy Haversack			2000	2
-Bedroll			0.1	5H
-3 Waterskins			3	12H
-2 Sunrods			4	2H
-10 Days Rations		5	10H
-100' Rope			20	10H
-Healers Kit			50	1H
-Everburning Torch		110	1H
-2 Pot: Cure Moderate		300	
-Pot: Cure Serious		375	
-Wand of Cure Light		750	
-Blessed Book			12500	1H
[B]Total Weight:[/B]46lb      [B]Money:[/B] 71gp 9sp 0cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               26   53   80   80   400

[B]Age:[/B] 27
[B]Height:[/B] 5'6"
[B]Weight:[/B] 124lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Green
[B]Hair:[/B] Brown
[B]Skin:[/B] Tan

Stripes
Large Magical Beast (Animal, Tiger)
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (56)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d8+6) and bite +4 melee (2d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, pounce, rake 1d8+3
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves:
Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills:
Balance +7, Hide +4*, Listen +4, Move Silently +9, Spot +4, Swim +12
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Weapon (bite), and Improved Natural Weapon (claw).
Special Abilities:
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a tiger must hit with a claw or bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.
Pounce (Ex): If a tiger charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.
Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +9 melee, damage 1d8+3.
Skills: Tigers have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, and Move Silently checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +9.
Link (Ex): A druid can handle her animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if she doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The druid gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding an animal companion.
Alertness (Ex): While a familiar is within arm’s reach, the master gains the Alertness feat.
Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a familiar takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage even if the saving throw fails.
Share Spells: At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.
If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.
A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast).
Empathic Link (Su): The master has an empathic link with his familiar out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The master cannot see through the familiar’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content can be communicated.
Because of this empathic link, the master has the same connection to an item or place that his familiar does.
Deliver Touch Spells (Su): If the master is 3rd level or higher, a familiar can deliver touch spells for him. If the master and the familiar are in contact at the time the master casts a touch spell, he can designate his familiar as the “toucher.” The familiar can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As usual, if the master casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.
Speak with Master (Ex): If the master is 5th level or higher, a familiar and the master can communicate verbally as if they were using a common language. Other creatures do not understand the communication without magical help.
Speak with Animals of Its Kind (Ex): If the master is 7th level or higher, a familiar can communicate with animals of approximately the same kind as itself. Such communication is limited by the intelligence of the conversing creatures.

Appearance: Force is fairly plain looking. He tends to have a slightly wild or unkempt look about him. His brown hair is shoulder length and generally loose. His green eyes are quite striking however, and seem to pierce wherever they gaze. He is generally short, thin and somewhat frail looking, but still appears fairly young.

Background: Force has always had a knack for summoning. And it’s an ability he’s honed well in the Legion. Recruited initially into the Forest Walkers by a wererat druid by the name of Squeeks at a very young age, he was eventually brought over to the Rune Breakers by Blaze to learn to hone his arcane talents as well. There, he earned the name Reinforcements due to his tremendous and flexible summoning ability, which was later shortened to Force (though some still call him Reinforcements, though usually for humorous purposes).

However, few knew of the torrid love affair the two had. Blaze was a fiery redheaded Sorceress on the brink of making Warchief. Blaze’s beauty was legendary among the humans, and had caught the eye of many of the legionaries, but she saw something in the simple, unimposing, and quite ordinary looking Force that apparently few other women did. Initially, it was simply the spark of the arcane in Force that caused her to lobby for him to join her cadre, but soon, as she spent more time with her sponsored recruit, it grew to be much more. Quietly and discretely, they spent much of their free time together, often anticipating the end of a long mission to come home to the others arms. Almost 4 years passed that went on like this, and they began to plan to approach the paymasters on thoughts of perhaps retiring to a quiet and peaceful plane.

Their love and affair was not a total secret. Cadre Captain Patch, of the Crashing Waves, had his eye on Blaze, and was quite jealous of the love the two shared. He had tried to pry her away, and made it known to Blaze that he knew of her relationship, but he spurned his advances.

Blaze was slain on a mission with Patch recently. Force and Patch both were devastated, and Patch insisted on telling Force himself. Patch told Force that while he was quite jealous of their relationship, he could not have wished for anyone’s death, and felt personably responsible. Force withdrew for a few weeks, barely ate or slept. His tiger Stripes was forced to fend for himself. Patch went to see him, telling him he couldn’t hide like this, that Blaze would not have wanted it.

And then Patch shocked Force. Patch told Force that he though perhaps another of the commanders, Doe of the Forest Walkers, had something to do with Blaze’s death. Doe was apparently fixated with Patch, and was jealous of the attention he gave to Blaze, not realizing in her jealous rage that Blaze wasn’t even with Patch. He wasn’t sure how she was involved, nor was he honestly fully sure she was involved at all, but he had a suspicion since her behavior had changed recently.

Force was incensed and torn. He’s unsure if he should seek to out this traitorous Doe, simply move on, or seek revenge another way. However, he promised Patch, for the sake of the memory of Blaze, he would not mope about. Looking for direction, Force returned to active duty and awaits his next mission.

Bront

The man with the probe
D20Dazza said:
I looked at the Sand Giant myself, worked out the ECL, and threw my hands in the air :D
Honestly, I didn't notice till i got to the feats and said "Woah, that's way too many"

Anyway, it's obviously a problem.

AmorFati

First Post
Ok, seeing as the majority of characters so far are melee/fighter types, I'll make a Gnome Warmage instead.

So, I was wondering, would a riding dog be really inapropriate in the Legion?

AmorFati

First Post
Damn you Bront, for using Blaze in your background!

I was supposed to be Blaze, the redhaired fire-mage! *grins*

Oh well, I'll be Scorch then.

Bront

The man with the probe
AmorFati said:
Ok, seeing as the majority of characters so far are melee/fighter types, I'll make a Gnome Warmage instead.

So, I was wondering, would a riding dog be really inapropriate in the Legion?
You can get them trained for war, and halflings have legions of them themselves. There's even a halfling outrider PrC that specializes in riding dogs (at least it pictures one, it's in CW).

The last concept I have is a shadowdancer, just trying to figure out a good angle to take the character. Could got more roguey or more scouty, or even in a completely different direction and go bard. I'll think of something fun and hopefully crunch a lot of it out before friday. Should give you a smorgass board of things to choose from for me (Warmind, Arcane Hierophant, and Shadowdancer)

AmorFati said:
Damn you Bront, for using Blaze in your background!

I was supposed to be Blaze, the redhaired fire-mage! *grins*

Oh well, I'll be Scorch then.
:p (Seriously, if it's a big deal, I can change it (Blaise was an alternate spelling I almost used), it may not even been the character I end up using)

AmorFati

First Post
Bront said:
You can get them trained for war, and halflings have legions of them themselves. There's even a halfling outrider PrC that specializes in riding dogs (at least it pictures one, it's in CW).

:p (Seriously, if it's a big deal, I can change it (Blaise was an alternate spelling I almost used), it may not even been the character I end up using)

I figured I'd drop the riding dog, didn't suit her after all. As for the name, Scorch kinda grew on me, so I'll keep it!

Now, here she is:

Scorch

Female Chaos Gnome Warmage8 / Elemental Savant3

Alignment: Neutral
Size: Small
Type: Humanoid
Speed: 30
Space: 5 ft.
Reach: 5 ft.

Str: 8 (-1) [2pts - 2racial]
Dex: 16 (+3) [4pts + 2racial + 2enchantment]
Con: 16 (+3) [4pts + 2racial + 2enchantment]
Int: 18 (+4) [10pts + 2enchantment]
Wis: 10 (+0) [2pts]
Cha: 22 (+6) [10pts + 2racial + 2level + 2enchantment]

HP: 80 (8d6 + 3d4 + 33Con)

AC: 26 (10 + 3dex + 8armor + 4shield + 1size) / 14 / 23
AC Penalty: -1

Saves:
Fortitude: +9 (3base + 3con + 3resistance)
Reflex: +9 (3base + 3dex + 3resistance)
Will: +12 (9base + 3resistance)

Resistance:
Fire 5

Immunities:
Confusion Effects
Immune to sleep effects

Init: +3 (3dex)

Base attack bonus: +5
Ranged attack bonus with spells: +9

Attacks:
Shortspear: +11 (5base + 3dex + 2enchantment + 1size), 1d4+2 damage, Threat 20/x2, Range 20 ft.
Shortspear: +7 (5base - 1str + 2enchantment + 1size), 1d4+1 damage, Threat 20/x2

Spells:
Spells per day: 6/8/8/7/7/5
DC 10 + spell level + 6cha (+1 ranged spells)
Overcome SR: 1d0 + 11 (+2 with fire spells)
All spells do +7 damage

Spell List:
0th: Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Light, Ray of Frost
1st: Accuracy, Burning Hands, Chill Touch, Fist of Stone, Hail of Stone, Magic Missile, Lesser Orb of (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire and Sound), Shocking Grasp,True Strike, Tenser's Floating Disc(Advanced Learning Spell)
2nd: Blades of Fire, Continual Flame, Fire Trap, Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Ice Knife, Melf's Acid Arrow, Pyrotechnics, Scorching Ray, Shatter, Wirling Blade.
3rd: Fire Shield, Fireball, Flame Arrow, Gust of Wind, Ice Storm, Lightning Bolt, Poison, Ring of Blades, Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud, Leomund's Tiny Hut(Advanced Learning Spell)
4th: Blast of Flame, Contagion, Evard's Black Tentacles, Orc of (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Force, Sound), Phantasmal Killer, Shout, Wall of Fire.
5th: Arc of Lightning, Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Mass Fire Shield, Greater Fireburst, Flame Strike, Prismatic Ray.

Spell-like abilities:
Caster level 1st
DC 10 + spell level + 6cha
Entropic Shield, 1/day
Daze, 1/day
Flare, 1/day
Prestidigitation, 1/day

Skills:
Skill points: 70
Max Rank: 14
Consentration: 17 (14ranks + 3con)
Hide: 7 (0ranks + 3dex + 4size)
Intimidate: 22 (14ranks + 6cha + 2tattoo)
Jump: (0ranks - 1str + 5competence - 1AC)
Knowledge (Arcana): 18 (14ranks + 4int)
Knowledge (The Planes): 18 (14ranks + 4int)
Spellcraft: 20 (14ranks + 4int + 2synergy)

Feats:
Lvl 1 - Empower Spell: All variable numeric effects deal 50% more damage
Lvl 3 - Weapon Focus (ranged spells): +1 on attacks with Ranged Spells
Lvl 6 - Energy Substitution (Fire): Any spells with Energy descriptor can do Fire damage
Warmage Lvl 7 - Sudden Empower: 1/day, can Empower a spell without using a higher slot
Lvl 9 - Extra Edge: Deals +1 damage + 1every 4th level of Warmage, Total +3damage

Languages:
Common
Gnome
Dwarven
Elven
Halfling

Equipment:
Tattoo of Amity
Vest of Resistance +3, 9,000gp
+4 Mithril Chainshirt, 17,100gp
+3 Light Wooden Shield, 9,153gp
+2 Spellstoring Shortspear, 18,301gp
Ring of Minor Spellstoring, 18,000gp
Ring of Sustenance, 2,500gp
Amulet of Health +2, 4,000gp
Boots of Striding and Springing, 5,500gp
Cloak of Charisma +2, 4,000gp
Gloves of Dexterity +2, 4,000gp
Headband of Intellect +2, 4,000gp
Hewards Handy Havresack, 2,000gp
Mundane items, like bedroll, blankets, flint and steel etc. 10gp
1,350gp in gems
1,086 gp

Race:
Low-Light Vision
Weapon Familiarity: Trat gnome hooked hammers as martial
Spell Power: Effective caster level with chaos spells +1
+4 dodge AC against giants
+2 listen checks
Luck of Chaos: 1/day, can reroll a roll. Must use new roll.
Immune to Confusion effects

Classes:
WarMage:
Armored Mage: Ignore Arcane Spell Failure when using Light and Medium armor and Light Shields.
Warmage Edge: Adds Int modifier to damage spells
Advanced Learning: Can add a new spell to Spells Known List
Sudden Empower: Gain the Sudden Empower Feat
Elemental Savant:
Elemental Specialty (Fire): When casting spells that does energy damage, does Fire damage instead
Resistance: Gains Fire Resistance 5
Immunity to sleep: Immune to sleep effects
Energy Penetration: Grants a +2 bonus to caster level with Fire spells

Proficiencies:
Simple Weapons
Light Armor
Light Shields

Looks:
Blaze, the charismatic 2'8'' Imago. Always dressed in bright colors. She prefers reds, oranges and yellows, both when it comes to clothing and decorations. Her hair is the color of fire, and her eyes looks like twin rubies. Her face bear the trade-mark Amity Tattoo, curving back and forth, making her seem even more intense than she already is.
Underneath her bright-colored tunic you can see a glimmering breastplate, protecting her from potential harm. On her right fore-arm she has a tattoo of a circle inscribed with runes, the icon of the Rune Bearers, her cadre.

Personality:
Happy-go-lucky. Outgoing. Joy-spreader. Talkative. Impulsive. Just a few words describing this bundle of energy. Scorch is the kind of person who thinks positive of everyone, always have a compliment and encouragement in store for others around her. She has lots of friends in the Legion, and is well-known in her cadre for her spirited personality.
When combat situations occur, she might seem like a bundle of chaotic energy, but the chaos is calculated. She never stays still, moving from place to place, unleashing fire wherever it is needed. She is not affraid of close-combat, in fact she prefers to be in the middle of action, jabbing her spear at foes that gets past her inferno unleashed.

Background:
She was, most likely, recruited because of her excellent abilities with fire magic.
She started out as a lowly recruit in the Rune Bearers, always doing her best for the Legion. Her Warchief Freeze soon realized that not only her arcane talents were strong, but she never had a problem with wading into combat, flinging fire around her where needed. Freeze, a halfling of considerable power, was herself consentrating of ice and cold magic. Two oposites, yet a strong friendship bonded over time. Where Scorch is outgoing, bubbling with energy, impulsive and a joy-spreader, Freeze is silent, calculating and only speaks up when needed. Not when in company with Scorch though, they can spend hours upon hours, only talking. About their missions, fellow members of the Legion, of the world. But most of all, about their past. What were they before? Who were they? Why were they recruited? Did they join of their own, free will?
Allthough her best friend is of a higher rank, there is no envy in Scorch, she is content with where she is; doing the Legions dirty work can be fun, at times.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
AmorFati said:
I figured I'd drop the riding dog, didn't suit her after all. As for the name, Scorch kinda grew on me, so I'll keep it!

Now, here she is:

Scorch
+4 Mithril Brestplate, 17,350gp
Great, glad it didn't cause a problem.

btw, Breast Plate is Medium armor, so it's +4000 for Mithril, which includes the masterwork cost, so everything should cost 20,200 total.

Remove ads