Player's Handbook II?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They did a PHBII, and then III, IV, V, (and there was a planar one) VI, (and a FR one) VII, (and races ones) VIII, IX...ok I am loosing count. And this is since 3.5....

So, a more concentrated format could be good. How would it affect earnings? If there was just one big PHB II--like say the original Unearthed Arcana--it would certainly outsell any lesser suplement, but maybe not by enough to make it worth while(and people would complain that it covered too much). Though I know I would be much more likely to buy it then a "complete" type book

Kae'Yoss

First Post
TerraDave said:
They did a PHBII, and then III, IV, V, (and there was a planar one) VI, (and a FR one) VII, (and races ones) VIII, IX...ok I am loosing count. And this is since 3.5...

You know, we were talking about an actual Player's Handbook 2, which would carry that name and would be similar to the first one.

The other books are books for players, but not Player's Handbooks. They specialize. A PHB 2 would have to have all kinds of content usable by players, not just "everything planar", "everything gnome", or "everything wizard". It would have to have "everything everything".

Mercule

Adventurer
Hmm... Just pondering over things. I might or might not buy a reprint of the highlights of the Complete books, but my players almost certainly would. I'm the only one in my group who bought any of the Completes, but a tidy, complete package might get some bites.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
KaeYoss said:
You know, we were talking about an actual Player's Handbook 2, which would carry that name and would be similar to the first one.

The other books are books for players, but not Player's Handbooks. They specialize. A PHB 2 would have to have all kinds of content usable by players, not just "everything planar", "everything gnome", or "everything wizard". It would have to have "everything everything".

Uhh thanks Kae. I think if you read the rest of my post (its not that long), it would be clear that that was also what I was posting about.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
TerraDave said:
Uhh thanks Kae. I think if you read the rest of my post (its not that long), it would be clear that that was also what I was posting about.

I know. That doesn't change the fact that the "Complete Warrior is PHB 2" joke is not funny
;) :p

TheAuldGrump

First Post
It is not likely to happen. WotC has too much invested in the Complete series, which do fill much of the role, along with Savage Species and Arms & Equipment Guide. Spreading it out over multiple books means that they sell more books. I could wish that I liked Savage Species better, the idea is good, the implimentation...

I would love to see WotC open up some of the material in the Completes to the OGL though, the closed content is the primary reason I don't buy them, while I use not so much of Unearthed Arcana, but snapped it up. (And the parts I do use I like very much indeed.)

The Auld Grump

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
TheAuldGrump said:
It is not likely to happen. WotC has too much invested in the Complete series, which do fill much of the role, along with Savage Species and Arms & Equipment Guide. Spreading it out over multiple books means that they sell more books. I could wish that I liked Savage Species better, the idea is good, the implimentation...

I would love to see WotC open up some of the material in the Completes to the OGL though, the closed content is the primary reason I don't buy them, while I use not so much of Unearthed Arcana, but snapped it up. (And the parts I do use I like very much indeed.)

The Auld Grump

Psionic, divine, epic (and planar?) material has trickled in to the SRD, so this may still happen. But I don't think they have made any promises in this area.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
One thing about a "generalist" Complete book... it isn't as interesting to many people.

Anecdotally, most of my players prefer playing a particular type of character. For most of them, the spells in the Player's Handbook are just wasted paper.

When a Complete book came out for the particular field they wanted to play, they got it.

A PHB2? There'd be too much that wasn't useful.

Cheers!

Abstraction

First Post
How about a book that was just tables. No, seriously. All the races from various books in a table telling what book they're in and some handy info about size, ability adjustments, racial abilities. All the feats from the books with the one-line description and which book. All the prestige classes could list their minimum requirements.

Currently, the biggest headache is that there is no one table for feats anymore (if you use supplements). Even moreso for spells.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Maybe if you keep asking for it, someone will get tired of your repeated requests that they'll conjure up tables on their PC ready for download.

[image placeholder: bored smiley] :\

Oh, wait! An idea just hit me: do it yourself.

Remove ads