• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players reading the MM

Its your first 4th edition session a player is reading your MM what do you do?

• This is unacceptable! throw the player out of the game.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • For some reason monsters are attracted to that player's character.

Votes: 30 11.4%
  • The players characters choice of magic items don't show up.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Swap stat blocks and descriptions, e.g. Gnoll description = Hobgoblin stats.

Votes: 23 8.7%
  • Nothing its only the monster manual.

Votes: 99 37.5%
  • Nothing they'll need every bit of help they can get in my game!

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Ask the player if they'd like to run the game instead.

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Just tut a bit and tell them they're only spoling the game for themselves.

Votes: 68 25.8%
  • Monster Manual!? who uses the monsters from that?

Votes: 13 4.9%

Mort_Q

First Post
Too many people in my group also DM for it to be reasonable to have them not read the MM.

I voted to spice it up... swap stat blocks, etc.

vladbat

First Post
For some reason monsters are attracted to that player's character.

We call this tastiness. Some characters have a much higher tastiness then any other stat on their sheet.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Reading the MM during a session is a definite no-no (except in specific cases which don't seem to be in 4e).

I'd tell them they shouldn't be looking through the MM during a session and to save it for after the game. If it became a habit, we'd have to have a talk about boundaries during a game session.

Ulthwithian

First Post
I don't necessarily have to worry about this, but I have made it clear to my players (and several of the players have made it clear as well!) that they definitely want a sense of 'wonder' and 'discovery' with 4E.

E.g., none of my players are looking at the monster entry excerpts.

Thus, if any of my players were reading the MM during the first session (and the only MM present would belong to my brother or I, both anti-'research'), preferential targeting would be the least measure resorted to. ;)

I'm rather famous for being able to make any player sweat for the life and safety of their character... despite actually never being able to generate a character death. (I know; I am pretty poor as a GM.)

Victim

First Post
I don't have a problem with players reading the MM and being familiar with its contents. On the other hand, looking up what you're facing in the middle of the game is just poor.

Oni

First Post
If you set a 4e MM down near me and I'd never seen it before, I would be hard pressed to resist picking it up and looking at all the artwork. Pretty much my first action upon getting any new rpg book is going through and looking at all the pictures first.

Remove ads