• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players running more than one PC

Fallen Archon

Banned
Banned
Back in June of '96 my best friend at the time introduced me to AD&D 2E. We didn't know of anyone else that'd be interested in gaming so my friend let me create four characters and GMed me through my first adventure. Naturally, I had a very fun and memorable one! :D

I think as long as the players have only enough characters between all of them to make up a standard [iconic] adventuring party there shouldn't be too much difficulty running the scenario.

Last edited:

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I think it would work better in pre-3e games. I've only done close to 2 characters in 3e games though.

Here's the tale:
One of my players (the one who was really into the rules and the roleplaying the most in a lot of ways - also the only one who was planning on DMing) got tired of his current PC. Problem was, that PC was rather important to the next couple of adventures (and the other players were interested in those events too). He had made another character up, with backstory and everything. So I decided, what the hell might as well introduce him. All in all it worked out pretty well, occaisonally I would 'take over' one of the two characters for a brief response (usually this was to convey world information.)
This was actually made easier by the fact that we'd had a PC who'd been with the group for a long time who'd been run by a few different players. Gaazt was a barbarian half-orc in it for the money, and other rewards that everyone seemed to like, when there was no player to run him, I did but left most of the combat stuff up to the group. Occasionally on of the players (playing another character) would get a great idea and say Gaatz does X and I'd just roll with it, cause it was usually awesome.

By far the most interesting "two-characters" per player was a more recent game. A Two-Headed character. Human Bard 4/ Fighter 4 with the Two-headed template from Savage species. (Barckstory was the character was originally a bit of a multiple personality disorder before being captured by a Mad Archwizard and experimented on.) The one head was sort of the 'default talker'. All I can say was pure awesome. There was one really cool moment when the Darryl got in an argument with Richard (the other head, their collective name was Darrick or Derek.) More cool was when the other PC's asked one head, then the next what they each thought.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I've done a bunch of 4e DMing in the last couple of weeks, and I've found that I really enjoy having lots of PCs in the party for one simple reason: I get a bigger XP budget! That's just like candy for the DM. :)
-blarg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads