D&D 4E Player's Strategy Guide - 4E Book

DracoSuave

First Post

I just want to be sure...

Did you just create a counter arguement against a statement that said some AoE is 'okay' and that only enemy killing does signifigant change to an encounter by using an argument showing how AoE can be okay, by using the number of average attacks against the party by live foes as the basis of its efficacy?

In otherwords... did you not just say the same thing as the author with a lot more technical language?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I would be interested in seeing a new player's reaction to this book. So anyone who is new to RPG's let me know!!!

Reading it right now, and I like its approach. I have a few new players in my campaign, and I'm going to suggest that they read it. For new players, the book really ties concepts together and shows how the whole game fits together, and how to have fun with it.
kmack, Please let us know what they think. As Dice4Hire said, we're interested in their reactions.

Last edited:

MrMyth

First Post
Yes, he is discussing focusing fire.

But the fact that he is not addressing multiple target attacks is telling.

I thought everyone knew that AoE spam was Tactics 102? ;)

But seriously, I imagine that is the very reason - he is simply trying to get across the very basic idea that if everyone is making single target attacks, focusing them as much as possible is the best approach. Yes, you can graduate from there to using multiple target attacks, but the goal here really is getting across the basics, and that doesn't seem unreaosnable to me.

Argyle King

Legend
What can someone learn from this book that a more experienced player couldn't teach a new player?

How much (if at all) do the character building sections come across as some sort of Char Op article?

Does the book seem to cater more toward the mechanical aspect of the game or the roleplaying and storytelling aspects of the game?

Kitesh

First Post
New player here for interrogation. I'm about 3/4 of the way through this book and really enjoyed it. The discussion on hybrid/multi is still confusing, but it's LESS confusing than any other source I've read. The chapter on managing resources (when to use healing, when to use dailies, when to "combo" powers, etc.) was very, very good information for a new player such as myself, and presented very clearly. I know that'll make an immediate difference in how I play.

And lest we get caught up in all the tactics and rules discussion, the handbook also spends quite a lot of time talking about how to roleplay your character. Lots of creative info on creation, feats, backgrounds, and powers (actually describing your character's actions instead of just saying "I use my oath of enmity, I use Radiant Vengeance" which I am often guilty of). That info is what makes me want to loan it to some of the people I play with- much more than the tactics.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
I had the pleasure of writing some of those sections and am looking forward to getting my contributor's copy to read the rest! Glad it was helpful and enjoyable for you, Kitesh.

Another good player's guide for roleplaying in general is Graham Walmsley's Play Unsafe, which was recommended to me when I was looking for inspiration on "what does good player advice look like" and which I found very useful even as an experienced player. It's not game-specific and doesn't touch strategy, but does give concrete pointers towards an approach that I think makes both "winning" and "losing" in RPGs more fun.

Kitesh

First Post
Another good player's guide for roleplaying in general is Graham Walmsley's Play Unsafe, which was recommended to me when I was looking for inspiration on "what does good player advice look like" and which I found very useful even as an experienced player. It's not game-specific and doesn't touch strategy, but does give concrete pointers towards an approach that I think makes both "winning" and "losing" in RPGs more fun.

And a PDF version to boot! Easy decision. Thanks for the work and for the recommendation.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
What can someone learn from this book that a more experienced player couldn't teach a new player?
Nothing. However, if an experienced player doesn't organize a four-hour presentation with charts and graphs, this book is probably going to do a better job of it. See Kitesh's post, above.

How much (if at all) do the character building sections come across as some sort of Char Op article?
Not much at all. In fact, I was disappointed. The character building sections have many good ideas, but it's not about min/maxing. Wading through wizards.com's CharOp boards feels completely different than reading this book.

Does the book seem to cater more toward the mechanical aspect of the game or the roleplaying and storytelling aspects of the game?
The mechanical aspects, especially as it attempts to explain them and give examples. It touches on storytelling and playing a role, but is definitely geared toward helping people understand the rules.

Last edited:

amysrevenge

First Post
Focusing fire + area of effect = Venn diagrams! And who doesn't like Venn diagrams? :D

funny.jpg

Remove ads